CoPilot for iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scootertrog, Sep 19, 2014.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Just when I figured out how to move routes
  2. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hopefully someone can shed some light on what exactly means Offline. I know it means "no cell signal" but will copilot still be functional being offline.

is it just having the MAP avail but won't show where you're at or track your movement?

If I load a custom route will copilot be able to still give me turn-by-turn directions?

running on iphone 6 with Copilot v9.6
  3. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes, yes. It figures out where you are from the GPS sats. Has nothing to do with cell service. Offline means maps are offline, as opposed to goggle maps which downloads (via cell service) maps as you go.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    scfrank is correct but there is one update. If your iPhone is running iOS 8.3, you can no longer place (load) a TRP file into the CoPilot Documents folder because CoPilot does not support File Sharing on iOS. The prior ability to do so was using a loop-hole in iOS that has not been closed. If CoPilot doesn't update their software you will not be able to send it custom routes.
  5. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes I understand that the actual map with be available for viewing but when I put my iphone 6 in airplane mode, copilot just shows in the lower left corner "no GPS Fix" and I loose my location

I'm still running iOS 8.1.2 and jailbroken so still using TRP file. I'm able to load route and see the route in copilot. Like I said, once in airplane mode copilot just stops working.

am I shutting off the wrong service? instead of airplane mode should I shut Cellular data only?
  6. scfrank

Oddometer:
    That I don't know. I don't use airplane mode. Someone else?

I just tried that on my iPhone6 and it didn't work that way. I'm not moving, but CoPilot came up normally.
    I am on 8.3
  7. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I use iExplorer to transfer files from PC to iPhone and it now doesn't work with iPhone 8.3. iExplorer help said they know about problem and are working on a fix.
  8. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    iPhones turn Off the GPS chip when you use Airplane Mode. If you want to disable your Cell Data just use the Cellular setting.

Apple's iOS update for v8.3 removed the "backdoor" to Documents and now require all App's to support File Sharing if they want to be able to receive files. That means that apps like iExplorer and iMazing, which were using that "backdoor", aren't going to work any longer. This was a security issue going forward and had to be closed. Now it is up to each App to either support File Sharing or not. That puts the data integrity responsibility in the lap of the App developers where it should be.

Since CoPilot currently does not support File Sharing, there is no longer any way to get your TRP and OV2 files into CoPilot.

All of this of course means nothing if you have circumvented iOS security by jailbreaking your iPhone.
  9. scfrank

Oddometer:

Thank you for clarifying that. It will be interesting what iExplorer says. I put in a support ticket with CoPilot asking them to support file sharing.
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been using iExplorer for some time now and wondering every day when Apple would close the door - but hoping they wouldn't until CoPilot get's their collective head out into the sun.
  11. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing that up. now just need to figure out which app would be best, copilot, sygic, navigon
  12. Larry3020

Larry3020 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not an iPhone/Apple user but can you email the .trp file as an attachment to yourself on the iPhone then save/export whatever to the appropriate folder?
    Like I said I don't use Apple stuff, so it's probably a dumb idea ??

Larry
  13. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    No to both of your questions. Not until CoPilot fixes their App.
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I'll give a down review for sygic. I liked it at first, sitting on couch designing routes. :D. Didn't work so well on bike. I got lost and wrong turns a lot. Not good at all if you get off route.

I ended up going back to Tom Tom on iPhone. Can't import to it, but winding roads works cool.

CoPilot is good, but right now there is an issue that prevents importing routes.
  15. Larry3020

Larry3020 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use TomTom as well, but you can't import routes.
    What I really like about CP is it's chunky 3D interface - ideal for the bike. Easy at-a-glance to read with major intersection clarity, also very clear in-ear directions. :clap
    If only they'd fix the 'missed waypoint' issue :puke1
  16. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are you referring due to iOS 8.3 update or ?
    I'm able to import routes to CP but I'm still on 8.1.2
  17. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess one could always reinstall a copy of IOS 8.2 if one wanted to, although it would inevitably handicap other apps as time went by.
  18. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Yes. They closed the 'door' with 8.3.
  19. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Another option I'm trying is GPX Viewer It doesn't provide Turn By Turn directions. It simply displays the route and shows where you are. May be all I need. I can see where to go from there. I put the gpx file in dropbox on my PX and then can open it on my phone with GPX Viewer.

I go into dropbox, use Open With and select GPX Viewer.

Don't have a lot of experience with it yet.
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, I'm not a heavy apps user and can get away with version 7.1.2, at the same time I am suspecting this is the latest version that operates on an iPhone4? When I connect to iTunes, it always says I have the latest version.