CoPilot for iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scootertrog, Sep 19, 2014.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did put in a service request to CoPilot to provide file transfer. They said they would put it on the enhancement list. Maybe if a few others would too it would increase the priority.
  2. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally put a 200mile route together using Furkot, export to .TRP and loaded it to CoPilot. Left this morning and a couple of hours later my iPhone 6 battery died. Pulled into a parking lot and plugged in phone to USB. had to load up the route again in co-pilot.

this is where the problem starts...since I was in the middle of my route, CoPilot keeps trying to send me to the beginning of the route (HOME) instead of continuing where i'm currently at.

I looked around in the co-pilot app for something (avoid uturns, continue from here) but could't find anything to fix this.

helping someone could shed some light on this?
  3. Rockpharmer

Rockpharmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had the same frustration with no obvious solution.
  4. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Edit the route in CP, and delete stops/wayponts up to your current location? That's what I've done.. Pretty sure the Iphone version can do that?
  5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can delete waypoints anywhere in the route, but that will encourage the routing engine to seek the most direct or quickest path, or just make a general mess of the route, lol.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't you just to more via points (or more correctly, in the case of CP, waypoints) into the original route to prevent that?

My Garmin massacres any routes that I deviate from too :(
  7. Neo9686

Neo9686 n00b

Oddometer:
    How can I do that? I'm really pissed off by this problem...
  8. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Yes, the more waypoints you have, the more control you have. I believe the issue discussed here recently is what happens when you stray off route and then want to get back on somewhere in the middle and the program is trying to route you back to the beginning of the route. I have not run into this issue yet, myself.
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done this in the past...Call up the Trip and press GO - ignore the prompts to go back to the beginning. Then, at the closest intersect point on the original Route tap the road to place a Waypoint (you'll usually need to zoom in). When you get the waypoint banner, tap the "i" and select Route Through Here. That will recalculate the route based upon your current location. If you had enough waypoints in the segments after your newly placed entry (Route Through Here) point you should have the same route but with your current location as the start.
  10. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whats the best way to convert a route created in Basecamp and converted to .TRP file without so many waypoints? I have over 4k points. Copilot takes forever to load up
  11. Neo9686

Neo9686 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi DRTBYK, may I ask you to explain it again? I tried to do what you said many times but copilot simply adds a new waypoint to the route without "resuming"...
    Can't find the reason to such different behaviour...

12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I'd like to help but I've deleted CoPilot as it has no value to me on iOS 8.3.
  13. Neo9686

Neo9686 n00b

Oddometer:
    I know, I just bought a new iPhone, didn't know of that before :huh ... I'm still using my old android device with Copilot for now.

What are you using now?
  14. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I haven't found a replacement.
  15. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try to help here....

once you have the route loaded, zoom in to the road that you want to route to next. Tap on the road name/number. You'll get a banner popup with the road name/number and a greater symbol ">". tap on that symbol. there you'll have the option to "Route Through here".

hope this helps some...Also i'm running copilot 9.6.2.736
  16. Neo9686

Neo9686 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you myrwon, that was my exact operation but copilot doesen't resume the route, it just adds that new point between my actual position and my first waypoint... I tried it many times :(
  17. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Sounds like between the latest CoPilot update and ios8-whatever, there's a huge discog. Apparently, the iphone4 software only goes up to version 7.1.2, so everything seems to work fine. I've been trying to play with Galileo Pro and tracks, but horrible weather here in the Midwest has severely hampered serious riding time.
  18. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why so many waypoints, IMHO that's going to be a nightmare to actually use because you may not "trigger" them as you go passed it. When I used a file like that before with copilot it was constantly telling me to turn around.
  19. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neo9686, have you tried selecting "Set as Next stop" instead "route through here"?
  20. i.v.o.

i.v.o. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an update for all using Copilot on iPhone:

As you know since the update to iOS 8.3 we lost the ability to import routes. I was on the verge of switching to Android really soon as I like the app, it works pretty well for the 10 bucks it costs, it has text to speech and I can just listen to the voice prompts with the phone in my pocket and it gets me by just fine.
    So as I was researching Android phones yesterday I found out that a Jailbreak just came out for iOS 8.3.
    So I jailbroke my iPhone 5 and could not be happier, I can just put routes in my dropbox and then while on the phone just move them to the NA dir of copilot and everything works just fine!

More about the jailbreak here:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8.1.3-jailbreak-status-update/

It is real and it works for me. So for all of you using iPhone for navigation there is an option. While it is far from perfect, it is not hard to implement and allows us to use hardware that we already own.