CoPilot for iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scootertrog, Sep 19, 2014.

1. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i.v.o, you beat me to it....

JB is a lifesaver. also use ifunbox to transfer .TRP files to phone :clap
  2. i.v.o.

i.v.o. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not know about ifunbox, I tried a couple others as iExplorer etc, but they are all paid and ended using an app called Filza from Cydia, it is a file manager that works on the iPhone itself, I save my .trp files in Dropbox on the desktop and then, on the phone I just copy the files from Dropbox to the NA directory. I will give ifunbox a try, it looks promising.
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    ifunbox has, or had the last time I looked at it, a strong tie to advertising and social media BS that I felt made the site a vulnerable gateway to phishing and viruses. That's usually on par for something on the internet that's free.
  4. myrwon

myrwon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, I'm never online when transferring files from mac to iphone so the ifunbox ads never popup. :wink:

just got back from a slab ride up to WV/TN area and not really happy with copilot. once I leave the custom route, it keeps trying to return me back to my starting point [home]. I've tried adding a waypoint as "next stop" but after that next stop, it try's to send me home again. wtf :huh
    I'll keep trying to isolate this issue or try another app
  5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I've been satisfied with iExplorer, no issues with it so far.

Does the below trick you mention not get you back on route?

I have not been riding on a route in some time where I needed any kind of assisted navigation, so I have not experimented with it.
  6. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    What happened in iOS 8.3 that made you delete CoPilot?
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

You can not import routes. I am looking for a solution now that does not involve jail breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    As trailer Rails noted, iOS now requires all Apps to use Doc Share API's if they want to Send/RECEIVE files. This was done to provide consistency and security. CoPilot has never supported the Doc Share API's and relied upon third-party File Apps to place files within CoPilots Doc's file structure. Those third-party Apps can no longer access other Apps File structure with the above iOS update.

I predominantly used CoPilot for it's routing as a backup to my GPS. Since I can't get my pre-planned Routes into the App...it's of no value. I don't foresee CoPilot making any changes to fix this since the only changes they have chosen to make in the past six months is to change their App ICON. :huh
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is pretty negligent of the folks that make the CoPilot iOS app. It's not like Apple doesn't forewarn of such changes/restrictions. In fact, they are quite good at it.
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    ALK Tech is now owned by Trimble. ALK was purchased for their Mapping and Truck Logistics business - NOT CoPilot Apps.

When you consider that (I'm guessing) 80-90% of App purchasers have no interest in pre-planned Route Import, the fact that they supported them at all on iOS is surprising.
  11. Sugra

Sugra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone else experience Copilot travel time being off, by about an hour? I plug in the same trip in Google Maps and Copilot. They both show the same mileage but Copilot adds an hour in travel time. The time shown in Google Maps I know to be correct. This happens frequently.

Edit: this happens for trips within the same time zone.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if its true on the iphone version, but I found the travel times were unrealistically long on the Android version.
    It was the default speeds.

A bit of tweaking of the speeds closer to what I really run got them pretty close.
  13. Sugra

Sugra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! That did it for me. The default speed for interstate was 55 mph, 30 mph for divided highways. Did I already say thank you? Thank you.
    Ogre_fl likes this.