CoPilot question: HTF do I import a TRP file?!?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Chrome, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Chrome

Chrome Who's gnarly?

Oddometer:
    I'm not a novice to computers, GPS files, routing technology or phones, but I can not for the life of me work out to do something as simple as getting CoPilot on Android to open a TRP file. I'm running a Kyocera and usually use Osmand but thought I'd try CoPilot for improved on-road turn-by-turn navigation.

The relevant support page says to move the file into com.alk.copilot.* where *=NA, but the directory for Copilot is actually com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa - so the support page appears to be out of date - perfect!

I tried dropping the file into the gpstracks folder, then going to Plan Trip > ... > Load Trip, but Load Trip is greyed out. I tried creating a new folder, http://com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa.NA - same thing.

Seriously, how difficult can it be for a company that makes routing software to have a simple load function for gpx files (or okay, TRP if you must)? Even better, CoPilot offers no phone number for Support, no Chat, no email and they even have direct messaging blocked on Twitter. They have a support ticket system on which there is no response after >24 hours. Ditto for the so-called Forum where a new post is yet to appear after the same length of time.

This is a company that seriously doesn't want to hear from its customers.

Help me out guys - how do I do get a TRP file into CoPilot on Android?
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  2. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Connected to my PC, the .TRP storage is at: \Android\data\com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa\files\NA\save

On my phone that is on the SD card, but I think the default is on internal storage.

I gave up on CoPilot for regular use a couple years back after version 10 was introduced, dropping several useful features and Google searches. (Yelp is a very poor, incomplete substitute). There were many complaints at the time, including the failure to update the support pages. The change in TRP directory is just one such error that apparently they never fixed. Rather than deal with the complaints and fix the errors, CoPilot just closed their customer forum. When I reported errors in the support pages all I received in their canned response was a link to the faulty support page.

(editing to vent some of my other frustrations with CoPilot v10)

CoPilot had been my primary GPS app because it worked very well for motorcycling. It had a motorcycle routing mode for finding back roads, and it allowed easy drag-n-drop onscreen editing to change my route to a preferred road. Now you have to create a new waypoint before adding it to the route, a three click procedure.

I had great success following complex routes built in Tyre, but the new version stops navigation and requires manual input to acknowledge that you have arrived at every waypoint before it will continue, even those placed just to shape the route - not something you want to deal with on a bike.

Google search results were always accurate, while the Yelp search engine is wrong more often than not. It will not find most of the addresses in my contacts. A restaurant search suggests a location just around the corner - the home of a widowed neighbor, not a pizza shop. My own location at home is identified with a street number that is off by hundreds, and is not even on the correct side of the street. I've reported the errors several times through the app with no acknowledgement and no correction.

After buying, using and recommending CoPilot so much before the changes, it just felt like a great big FU when the company took away working features and then pulled support rather than deal with their angry customers.

YRMV
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  3. Chrome

Chrome Who's gnarly?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. It doesn't work for me unfortunately.

What a pile of crap. What app did you move to?
  4. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I was editing while you were responding...

You might try creating a route to a single destination within CoPilot and then save the route with a unique name. Search for that .trp file to see where it has ended up.

At the time I was dealing with the CoPilot changes I began having trouble charging my phone on the bike. The micro usb port did not handle vibration very well. I found a deal on a used zumo 590 that has gotten the job done, after lots of experimentation figuring out how it and Basecamp work. Finding Furkot.com was a big step forward for easily building reliable routes. Even paying less than half price for the six month old zumo, I think I paid way too much for what it does.

I'm working more with Locus because it seems to offer more than anything Garmin, but I'm still learning my way around the app, using it in the car and while hiking. It has lots of options and I do not always remember where to look for them. Still looking for a reliable charging solution.

If the 590 died tomorrow, I'd be looking for a waterproof android tablet with 7-10" screen to run Locus.
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

This works for me.
    I have a program running occasionally that syncs that folder to the cloud. I put a new TRP file in the cloud, and it ends up on my device automatically. Works well.
  6. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used CoPilot many moons ago and I seem to recall that I first had to create a trip on the device itself and thereafter I was able to find the new file/directory that had been created and from then on, was able to stick files created on the desktop in the same directory.
  7. Chrome

Chrome Who's gnarly?

Oddometer:
    I have a definitive answer on this. Ikraus gave me the clue: there are actually two identically named folders for CoPilot, one in internal storage (com.alk.copilot... etc in the root directory) and one on my SD card (com.alk.copilot...etc, only in the Android/data directory). The trp file needs to be dropped into the /NA/save directory on the SD card.

Having worked all that out with the help of you guys, CoPilot finally responded to my Support ticket - it turns out they haven't closed the department, after all:

First of all, you don't need to create any new folders - feel free to delete the folder you created since this should be handled by CoPilot automatically and might lead to additional issues. Also, please delete the trp files you have put into the gpstracks folder as well. Please don't create any additional folders and delete the ones you have created.

Thank you for pointing out the difference in naming - I will adjust our support article as it seems that the folder name changed on our latest version.

There are two options depending on the exact location of your map data. You can check if your map data is saved on the SD card or the internal storage in CoPilot by going to Menu/ My CoPilot/ MyMaps and select North America. At the top of the screen, you will see "Save maps to" and can check which one is selected.

Location SD Card: Android/data/ com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa/ files/ NA/ save
    Location Internal Storage: com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa/ NA/ save
    Please be aware that the path might still be slightly different, for example on my SD card I have root/ storage/ 620F-C2D6/ Android/ data/ com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa/ files/ NA/ save
    Please make sure that CoPilot is closed when you connect your phone to your computer and move the files to it. Please let us know if the solution worked for you. We will make changes to the support article as soon as possible.
  8. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't add any advice to the OP since I have no experience in that arena, however I wanted to join in on this....

I heartily agree. CoPilot took a big leap down a dark hole when someone decided that Yelp was a superior alternative to Google search.
    Yelp couldn't find it's own arse with both hands in it's back pockets.
    Yelp couldn't find my own business, located for nineteen years in the same plaza along a major road. It gets some stuff right, but it's hardly comprehensive and not remotely as good as the previous Google search feature. Bad choice, CoPilot.

They claim the change was made due to user suggestions. Switch from Google to Yelp?...Said no one at all, I'll bet.

Yelp stupidity aside, I've found the CoPilot app to be otherwise pretty useful and reliable. It's replaced the Garmin in my car, and if my cell phone were weather proof and touch sensitive, it may end up eventually replacing the Zumo on my motorcycle when it's done.

In fairness, Garmin's search is also pretty spotty, with the added inconvenience of being agonizingly slow....I often end up waiting a long time before it can't find something.

At least with Yelp, I know that it can't find something almost instantly.

I hope CoPilot reconsiders and rings back Google search.

OK...Sorry for getting a bit off-topic, but I just had chime in on this one.

Sorry. :-)