Copper Canyon Maps for Garmin

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by cwc, Mar 8, 2009.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a long learning curve I have succeeded in making a map of (mostly) unpaved roads in the Copper Canyon Area. I want to thank Bob Morphew without whose help this project wouldn't have been possible.

The map is made from unfiltered GPS tracks and shows only the roads. If you want to use it alone I have a set of waypoints for many of the towns. In the GPS it is a transparent map so will show up as blue roads added to whatever map you have installed.

I'm using a self executing file to install the map in Mapsource so it can be installed in the GPSr by normal methods.

I would like someone to try this map to be sure I have the installation procedure propery simplified. I've installed it on two PC's and two GPSr's with no problems so far.

The map covers the area shown below as well as the route from Ojinaga to the area.

[​IMG]

This shot of the route up the north side of Sinforosa Canyon shows the level of detail.

[​IMG]

If you would like to try this map download it here Garmin Map of Copper Canyon GPS tracks (Valid as of 5/25/2010, to be sure of getting the latest version go to www.ccoons.com links page.)
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. Moncho11

Moncho11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested! Pm'd you!
  3. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want a map with topo lines on it try this one. It has the same roads as the map in the first post.

http://tinyurl.com/CopperCanyonTopoMapkit

The lines are at 100m intervals expressed in feet so the elevations are not nice even numbers.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is neat stuff. Good Job Charlie:clap
  5. efuentes

efuentes Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Lots of stuff to study there.

I hope to add some of it to my map, but will have to ride it first to get a detailed track log.

Have you been on the route "Trail 94 to Trail 101" from Cuesta Colorada to Urique?
  7. efuentes

efuentes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a part of it two years ago. couldnt do the whole thing do to time, I think its the one Paraiso del Oso uses.

Saludos
  8. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's on my list for next year. We were just going to look at it on the south end as I'd heard it was a footpath and I really don't like to ride on them.

If it's a two track I'll add it to my map.
  9. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a GPS newbie and heading down to that area in May. What's a good entry level unit that can handle this files?
  10. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. I have loaded the maps into this series, the 76 series , Etrex mapping units and even an eMap. For mobile units I've loaded them into 2600 and 2700 series as well as the Zumo.

If you are going in May I recommend getting a unit right now and getting familiar with it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

The 60Cx is on sale for $220 according to this page

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495074&page=23