Copper Canyon March 2019 Route and Other Questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by LtCrashDan, Dec 8, 2018.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    In Creel, I stayed at the Hotel Cascada. Don't stay at the Best Western unless you like spending $$$$$. Google only shows a $30 or so price difference right now but when I stayed there a couple years ago, the Best Western was >$100 and I think we got a room at Cascada for mid $30's
    Yinzer Moto and LtCrashDan like this.
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Low road, high road just two different improved roads. The high one might even be paved part way now. The road to Urique is from Cerocahui and Mesa de Arturo and has the dramatic overlook. Headshrinker just did the new(er) route from Urique to Bato that has some challenging riding for big bikes.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best Western is a total rip off.
  4. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget to bring candies for the kids!

Have fun!
  5. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure I understand your route, but looking at your map in post two it looks like you are riding from Batopilies to Urique to Creel or visa versa. the overlook is coming out of the canyon from Urique. But the views are just as good or better at several other locations.
    The reason I said I didn’t understand your route is it shows you running a bunch of hiway between Alamos and El Fuertes surely
  6. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the piece between alamosa and el fuerte is dirt(gravel). Maybe I need to double check. We will likely go el fuerte to unique to batopilas to creel. And therefore I think miss the overlook outside of urique. But I do plan to stop at el divisadero.
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you enter or leave Urique on the west side you will go past the recently developed overlook.
    Looking at your route from El Fuerte to Urique it looks like there was an overnight stay just before the ferry. There is a fishing "resort" where the little spur in the track goes off to the NW.
    I've done that route a few times and it was re-routed every time I did it, so if there is a fork and the better looking road leaves the track you have you might benefit from making local inquiry.
    LtCrashDan likes this.
  8. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are lots of hotels in Creel now, I usually stay at the margaritas, but last year they wouldnt let us bring the bikes inside? whatever. just dont waste your money at the best western, tripadvisor works well in creel.
    the road from urique to bato is supposedly hard, I havent done it, but most will tell you its not easy. the bridge here 26.943591, -107.939222 is still upside down and you will have to make the river crossing, there is another new birdge here 26.896604, -107.883981, but that is not the one you want. Also ask locals in bato what the river corssing in like based on water flows, 1 out of 4 will have the real answer. but looking at the river behind juanitas hotel, if you can cross this river without getting you calves wet, you should be good for the real crossing.
    Tubares to el fuerte was rough as shit last winter, they must have had tons of rain and no maintanence, bato to tubares was better. Bato to el fuerte was a long 7hrs with some stops on a fully loaded AT.
    El Fuerte, bring bug spray cause the black gnats LOVE gringo blood, and will eat you alive!! long sleeves and pants unless you like to itch for weeks. 26.419298, -108.620881 from this intersection one block off centro there are two hotels, a nicer one on the sw corner Posada Don Porfirio is not bad, can bring bikes into courtyard, west and south ish on north side of street one half block is hotel guerro, super cheap and can fit bikes into courtyard. This is less formal than the first, and in the morning walk across the street to the food venders in the alley and get some birria lamb soup. this shit cures any hangover. and also west coast street tacos. Great, now im hungry and thirsty for an indio... make sure you write report, and dont sweat the narco's, honk and wave as you ride by...
    LtCrashDan likes this.
  9. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    Thanks Phil and CWC, exactly type of information I am looking for. I appreciate it. We will be on wr250r's so hard is what we are looking for. I have the down bridge pinned on my gps from a previous rider who was just there. He said it was still out too. He also has a route around if the river is too high.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  10. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a dirt route between Alamos and El Fuertes, but your google map thing shows you going out and around on pavement. That is why I was confused.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  11. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, I see now. That was my first pass, post 2 has the updated one going by the reservoir on dirt. I should probably update post 1 too.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really need to sit down and study the maps tonight. And maybe try and learn a little more Spanish than cerveza.
  13. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    How about tres cervezas por favor?
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    :dunno

Three ?????? Please?
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Do you or anyone else have a recommended map file for garmin? I am trying to use OSM and when comparing to to Google, Google has more roads on the map. Then if I switch it over to satellite view, I see even more roads.
  16. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of mapping options and I’m sure folks will have a bunch of different opinions on which is best, but I use E 32 in my Montana along with Garmin city navigator North America.
    E32 has great back country detail but City Navigator is better in town
    Hill Climber and simmons1 like this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I was not aware of E32, thank you. it looks like a great product.

This is what I have with the OSM, north of the border is great detail, south of the border is not great.

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 8.20.11 PM.png
  18. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  19. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    texas_aggie and Yinzer Moto like this.
  20. LtCrashDan