Copper Canyon March 2019 Route and Other Questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by LtCrashDan, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been reading multiple threads about paper work needed to ride a motorcycle or bringing a car into mexico. I live in a state that does not give the purchaser of a motorcycle or car any title paperwork if you have a loan. The title is sent to the bank, then when the lien is released, the banking institution stamps the title that it has been satisfied. Until then, all the owner has is registration paperwork. How do you take your vehicle into Mexico in that type of situation?
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you are allowed to take a financed vehicle into Mexico. I am far from an expert on that topic.
  3. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    My understanding was you had to have a notarized letter from the bank (or whoever holds the lien) saying you have permission to take the vehicle to Mexico. I know certain insurance companies were approved by GMAC to issue insurance to vehicles financed by that company so that you could drive them down to Mexico.
  4. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked into this as my WRR was financed, I didn't try to contact the bank though, I didn't have much left to pay off and just did that. The info I found correlates what Jonz says. I would contact the financial institution and see what they say. My concern was, will the border agents processing the paperwork actually know this is the rule?
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The simplest solution to all these border crossing problems with financed vehicles is to pay off the blooming debt and OWN your ride , like Crashdan.
    Why are you paying extra to the bank when you could be saving that for the next bike?
    You don't need to be a millionaire but surely you must have a few pennies saved to buy a bike outright .
    If you are overreaching your ability to pay then go downscale in the bike offerings . Get a smaller and less deluxe toy . Ride it several years until you can afford to buy that GSA or Lamborghini
  6. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:

If worse comes to worse, you could still ride around all of Baja and over to Rocky Point without a TVIP on your financed vehicle (just not the mainland)! Just get an FMM and Mex insurance!

mexico FreeZone permitmap.gif
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worst scenario?
    That opens up the possibility that if you get into an accident in Mexico in the TVIP - exempt region the Mexico insurance provider might not pay up because you were not totally legal with "your " bike not really being yours with permission to take it into Mexico
  8. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    I was actually only asking for documentation advice, not financial advice. But thanks anyway. :-)
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 You're welcome :-)
    It was just a general observation made for the general readership ,not picking on anybody in person.

It is good to point out the obvious once in a while as some folks seem to be blinded by the systems they have committed to . Clearing out one burden can remove a mess of other related issues some folks don't consider often enough. Living within one's means may be restrictive to some , to others it may be liberating .
    Rhode trip and Assfault like this.
  10. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Day two , three and four combined are a nice day ride ! Taking three days does not make much sense after driving so far for this trip . Much better to spend a day in Alamos seeing the town .
    Alamos to El Fuerte is OK if you want to spend time there in the afternoon but if you continue on to Choix the next day you guys can get to Bato. After Bato I'd do a loop South and up to Guachochi through Yoquivo and either stay there and go out to the Canyon overlook Sinforoso or loop back to Bato . There is a route South of Guachochi that could be done as an out an back
    day ride that could be the best ride in the canyons . My intell says that it decends 6400feet crosses a river and climbs back up a similar elevation . I'll be doing that mid March but am continuing south .
    Doing 60 and 80 mile days on those bikes IMHO is a waste of a good riding day . Might as well
    be riding KLR's .

Max
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we need to consolidate a few of those days. I know travel times are slower south of the border but we do 3-400 mile off road days up here. I think 175-250 should be obtainable south of the border.
  12. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Here's an idea for Baja:

1. Call up your financial institution and ask for a "letter of permission" to take your bike to Mexico. Provide them the dates of travel.
    2. Once (if) you have the letter, contact a Mexican insurance company and state that you have the letter and provide them a copy. Everything should be good.
    3. Take the letter of permission, get the Mexican insurance, get an FMM (and stamp) at border, and you would be fully legal.
    4. Happily ride all around Baja (and Rocky Point) for up to a month.
    5. Consume lots of beer and tacos
    6. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

You could also take that letter of permission and "try your luck" to get an TVIP in Mexico. However, you just don't know if they will give you the TVIP until you go down into Mexico and try it. I am not sure that letter would be acceptable paperwork for a TVIP, at least it is not cut and dry. It might really depend on who is working and how strict that particular agent is. Baja would have to be your back up plan, or no-trip on your financed bike. Not a whole lot of other legal options for Mexico other, than paying off your loan.

Link to read up.
    https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/lienholders.php#jump1

Good luck.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  13. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the info, unfortunately I want to drive from Laredo to Colima. I will probably just pay off the loan.
  14. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t sweat the above with the authorities. Just take the registration in your name. MX doesn’t require the title. They don’t care about a lien but insurance might. I’ve taken financed bikes back and forth lots of times without hassle—sometimes having paperwork from the lender and sometimes not. Again, just reg to get the TVIP. If you crash it in MX, though, and the MX insurance finds that you took the bike to MX without authorization from
    your lender, you’re in trouble.
    LtCrashDan likes this.
  15. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be surprised at how buffed out the roads are thru out the whole canyons area . There is
    What's your schedule for riding into Mexico . I'm leaving Tucson the 10th of March and riding a dirt route from Agua Prieta south through Madera and south along another dirt route to Basaseachi and Creel and exploring a couple of new to me routes in the Creel Bato Guachochi area before heading south exploring a few other remote routes which I hope get me through to Durango.
    Maybe we will bump into each other .

Max
  16. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    That sounds promising, I saw on a provided link above about what different banks required and mine, USAA doesn't require anything.
  17. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I don't know about where your crossing but at the Douglas/Agua Prieta where I do 90% of my
    TVIP's they don't want to see your title anymore like in the past . Just your registration . But my Idaho and Arizona registrations ( I get TVIP's for multiple bikes and my 4runner ) have the VIN# on them . One would assume that most states registrations have the bikes VIN# but I'd be sure to check that .

Max
    Loadtoad101 and LtCrashDan like this.
  18. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I normally cross in Mission with a Texas registration. Have only had to show the registration in the past, but depending on the person doing the paper work others have been asked for the Title at the same place.
    LtCrashDan and Yinzer Moto like this.
  19. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen mention of parking in presidio, I know three palms is an option, but does anyone know or any other specific parking locations? Possibly a fenced location.
  20. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven’t checked lately for other places to park, but I can tell you that we have parked at the Three Palms for 2-4 weeks with never a problem. IIRC they ask for $2/day to park if you stay there for the night.
    Parking at the Three Palms may be the best deal if you want to arrive and leave with the least hassle.
    OTOH if you do find a place you can stay at a nicer place in OJ which includes breakfast for half the price or a more modest place for much less.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.