Copper Canyon: Moto Mutz 2007

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by judjonzz, Mar 14, 2007.

1. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    The Mutz trip to Mexico this year was too big and fragmented to capture in a single narrative. Nineteen riders ended up doing essentially four different rides that converged or overlapped at a few places in the canyons. This link has a partial account and some pics, some mine but also from Cjracer and Linda T. Follow the links to Lissa's threads on the Moto Mutz for some more great pics and an account of a different aspect of the tour.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22791
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a quick look... too fragmented.. any chance you can just give us the juice and a few pics?!
  3. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Hey, nice post. Thanks a lot. Now people who might like the pics will be put off. Sure, it's not much of a report, but some of the pics (not mine, they suck) are really cool. Walt-in-the-Hole alone is worth the effort.
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    Links to reports tend to die a fast a death as people are reluctant to pursue links to other sites.. but by showing a few pics here, you entice them! :wink:
  5. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    I agree. I'm not clicking.... :bore
  6. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Ok, ok, here's a couple of teasers:
    This one is from Cjracer:
    [​IMG]

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you spot the culprit?
    [​IMG]

Lissa took this but she's not the only one who almost rode off it:
    [​IMG]

Tequila makes a guy do some crazy things:

Mod Edit: I have removed the pic and provided you with a link. This is the family channel of the ADVrider site.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6001/jeffiebajump1rj6.jpg
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    Can't show pics like that last pic on this site.. not in Ride Reports or anywhere else :nono

The rest looks great... thanks for giving us some highlights and motivate others to check out your thread.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Damn cool stuff. :thumb

Great oil plug. I like that sht. :D

Where is that road/ski ramp 'that ends'?
  9. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    South of a town called San Francisco Borja, on a scenic detour off the toll road from Chihuahua to Cuauhtemoc. Lissa took that pic about a week before I got down there. They almost rode over the edge; she took the shot looking back after they crossed the wash. A week later, I came up on the same scene, no signs, no barriers, not even a cone. I was warned by some construction machinery off to the side, came up on it going about 30, and stopped maybe 20 feet shy of the edge. A guy going 50 probably rides over the edge.

Walt's KTM was a similar deal. He rode into a washout that was concealed by the shade of an overhanging branch. The bike was ok, and he was lucky not to have followed it into the hole.
  10. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Is the nekkid guy on a CanAm?

:ear
  11. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Ha, ha, that one isn't really in Mexico, it's South Dakota, and he was drinking Overholt. The bike is a SWM (italian enduro bike from the nowhere years). Jeffie had just retired after 30 years at IBM, so he burned his only suit and jumped it.
  12. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Walt-in-the-Hole.

After Paul and Kevin left Bato (to finish their 10-day loop, recounted on the Yahoo TC_Dualsport list, but we'll get it over here, too) John Coons led a big group of us on a 75-mile loop that started up the road back to Creel, climbed what seemed like 4 or 5 thousand feet, ran along a ridge top to a lunch stop at Jesus Maria (*correction* The burrito stand is not at Jesus Maria, but at a place called Mineral Polanco. Sometimes i think I know where I am, but I don't. Charlie corrected me on this one.), and then crossed three very steep ranges before coming out at Satevo. On the first long climb, we had what may have become the defining moment of the trip. Walt failed to see a big washout which was concealed by shade, and dropped his KTM into a big, deep hole. hence the name we gave to the ride. That ride was pretty technical for a "road" ride, the toughest I have seen in Mexico. I'm sure there are some tougher, and John Coons will find them. Glad we weren't carrying luggage.

Walt ponders his extrication problem
    [​IMG]

CJ enjoys his burrito, while marty looks surly:
    [​IMG]

After Walt's biff, which gave him some cracked or separated ribs, his day just got worse. He ended up dropping his bike at least two or three more times that day. The burro shoe in his tank bag came from the taco stand at Jesus Maria(actually Mineral Polanco), but his luck did not improve.

[​IMG]

The next day, some of us took an off day in bato, while others went in search of more adventure. Craig Johnson submerged his big KTM in the river, and had to change his oill three times to get the milkshake out of his crankcase.

The following day, I was a little off because of my mangled thumb (crunched in a stationary get-off on the steep Bato road), and my battery was giving signs of impending failure, so I opted to ride up to Creel with Walt, Dan and Lissa, skipping Urique, but with plans to catch up with the group again the day after in Chinipas. Dan was still sick, Walt was in pain, and Lissa had too many flattracking crashes under her belt - she just didn't feel like riding over that pass and across the river.

On the way out of Batopilas Canyon, I lost my carb drain screw, of all things (I don't think I have touched it in the three seasons I have been running the DR). I lost half a tank of gas before I spotted the deluge running over my left boot. A whittled mesquite plug slowed the hemorrhage, but did not completely stanch it. So instead of going to Chinipas, I spent the next day searching Creel for a more suitable plug, and maybe a battery, all without success.

By the end of this trip, I would become adept at whittling plugs to keep the petroleum products inside the bike:
    [​IMG]

As Craig pointed out later, had we had our wits about us at this point, we would have caught the train in Creel to meet the group in El Fuerte, which is really one of the nicest places on the ride. Instead, Walt, Dan and I opted to ride up to Basaseachi Falls, where we stayed in one of the really cool cabins in the National Park. I mean "cool" in two ways: there was no gas for the heater, and the concessionaire could only furnish enough firewood to get us partway through the night.

Ricardo lights the fire in our cabin:
    [​IMG]

We then spent a couple of nights in Chihuahua (Pancho Villa Museum, carb parts at last), and a couple more in Alpine (Zniewski Burros in Marathon, moto mall on the outskirts of Alpine) waiting for the blizzard to pass before we headed northward. At the border, Walt unloaded his bike and rode up to Carlsbad, then over to Andrews to visit his old oilfield haunts, before moteling up in Odessa to wait for the van. The Mataya/Coons party hurried north a day ahead of us, but had to lay up in Missouri just as we did, so they were less than a day ahead before we got home. Craig was as close as four hours behind us but probably got in 6 to 8 hours later. Craig was more than a little cranky about being left behind by the Soccer Bitch, while Dan had trouble finding room in back of my van with all of Craig and Linda's stuff back there.

Almost forgotten by now was the great time we had at the start of the trip riding in Big Bend, on West River Road, and especially the gnarly (for a dualsport bike) Black Gap Road. When we came out of there to pavement, a park ranger stopped to ask us where we had been. When I told him, he just asked "did everybody get out all right?" It's a place where a guy could get hurt or stuck if he was unlucky or didn't have his wits about him. In
    summertime, I bet it's a real hellhole.

Walt, Katie and CJ pose their matching paint jobs on West River Road:
    [​IMG]

Stuart was eager to try Black Gap:
    [​IMG]

There are plenty of adventures as yet unrecounted, some of which you can pick up if you follow the links to the Mutz. We still don't have a definitive retelling of Craig's ride to El Fuerte, where he, Linda and Stuart all went down on an algae-covered concrete creek ford. They had their share of flats, and Linda threw a master link on her new chain, all of which slowed their progress on the return ride to Cerocahui.
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice Jud....

you sure do get yer chops busted here on ADV huh?...:lol3

I'm not sure which is better. the oil fill cap or the float bowl screw mod :thumb
  14. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is a tough crowd.:lol3

The carb screw I really needed. The filler plug I whittled while Dan rode back to Presidio for more oil. (Note to self: bring a sharp knife. Leatherman and Victorinox do not cut it on mesquite.) Fortunately, he found the real plug on the gas station apron (I topped up and rode off, leaving the plug on a footpeg). I'm keeping the stick for karmic prophylaxis, or in case it happens again.
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And people still ask "Why is it not smart to ride at night"?
  16. drex

drex So Cal

Oddometer:
    Jud, most of us are just enjoying what looks to be some great insanity south the border. Thanks for the report and the pics!!

'Normal' (non-riding) friends just shake their heads at the stuff that goes on. Those who understand know the best, most memorable days are those that don't turn out as planned.

Keep it coming!

Dan
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I have to ask- were those a couple of Yamaha XT225's with oversized tanks in the MotoMutz pics?
  18. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    XT600s. Low seat, e-start, pretty well suited to the task. Marty's in the business, and an excellent rider; his cheaply-assembled Mexico rides hold up pretty well. The guy just puts an old MX knob on the front, and takes his tire groover to a street tire for the rear. Most of us have to start with raw material that is a little fresher. The Mutz used to leave a fair number of bikes in Mexico, or bring them to the border on their side in the luggage compartment of a bus.
  19. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    The water crossing were a rock got the best of me. Did fine heading out in the morning, maybe the fact that Dick and I rode for 4 hrs and only did 25 miles will say something about the ride. We climbed 4,000 ft in 10 miles. Great views.

After a few oil changes the bike did great the rest of the trip. No other mishaps.

Good times. :D

Great job Jud.
  20. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Come on, CJ, we want the picture of the bike underwater. I suppose Dick would be the guy with that one though.