copper canyon route

Discussion in 'Americas' started by fester2, Feb 10, 2008.

1. fester2

fester2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for a route from Phoenix area through The Copper Canyon to Los Mochis, we will be going up Baja after that, been there know our route, riding KTM 990's and Gs Adv.
  2. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    Last year I went Douglas - Hermosillo - then east on 16. IMO, highway 16 from Hermosillo heading east is an absolute blast. Some of the best twisties I've ever ridden on. I was on a 950 and the other two guys were on GS1200's. Perfect road for those bikes.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    How much dirt and of what difficulty level do you want in the canyons?
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    And to/from the border?

You could be on dirt 5 miles from the AZ border all the way to Creel.......and on dirt for all but the last few miles coming back north through Baja.

:nod
  5. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Asking doesn't necessarily mean you want to receive...:D

Howdy, Bruce.
  6. fester2

fester2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We would like to be on dirt all the way if possible, as to the difficulty level I am not sure how to answer that, we are new to big adv bikes but not new to riding, mostly we ride in the Mountains on xcw's, wr's etc here in Alberta, we have ridden some really technical single track in Baja and lots of that here. Anything that could be described as a road should be no problem.
  7. x3300

x3300 geoff

Oddometer:
    Hi.

I would recommend this as a good, somewhat conservative route, but certainly not boring. From Phoenix, go down RT 10 to Benson, then through Bisbee. From there you can cross at either Naco or Agua Prita. Naco has no lines, but the Vehicle Import office has closed down so you need to then go over to Agua Prita for the Vehicle Permit.

Head south on RT 14 to Moctezuma, then Tepache, Sahuaripa, and R T16. In Moctezuma the road to Tepache is a little hard to find, being about a mile South-East outside the town. The Tepache to Rt 16 section is somewhat new, with the infamous yet to be constructed bridges, and it is not on any maps I've seen. Sahuaripa has a bearable motel, and may be a good place to stop. I think I paid 22.USD last time, but thought is was a litte too much. Anyway, a friendly little town.

Sahuaripa to RT 16 seems to take forever, the road taking and unending twisted route through the foot hills. Head east on RT 16 through Yecora and up and over the mountains. There is a dirt road from RT 16 some where east of Yepachi that goes to San Janito. I'm sure some other adventurer reading this post will know the place name of the turnoff. It goes way up and over the mountains, and is a good ride. The final section into San Janito is new paved road.

From San Janito, Creel is just a short ride south. Los Pinos Motel in Creel is a standard for m/c riders.

-x3300
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    :wave Bob!

x3300's route is a good one - pretty riding. The turnoff for the dirt road to San Juanito is at Las Estrellas, the next road after the turn off to see Basaseachi Falls. It's MX23.

If you aren't in a hurry to get to Creel, turn off the road to the south on the dirt road to Maguarichi - very do-able on big bikes, and an awesome place to see.

[​IMG]
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    When in Creel ask the 3 Amigos about the Rio Urique to learn if it's passable.

Creel to Batopilas, 1/2 dirt
    Short day, great views

Batopilas to Urique (if river isn't too high), all dirt
    Ask locals for directions (or we can explain them)
    Nice adventurous ride
    This will most likely be an all day affair, start early, skip breakfast if nededed

Urique to Chinipas, all dirt
    Great views, 6 tunnels
    Do the overlook at Temoris, ask at Pemex if needed

Chinipas to El Fuerte via Alamos, 90% dirt
    If Rio Chinipas is high check further upstream or get a truck to haul across
    This should be a full day's ride

El Fuerte to Los Mochis, all paved
    Very close
  10. fester2

fester2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the routes, I saw the links to the hotels in the area very useful but do you have to worry about them being full. We will be in the are the 2nd week of November, any Mexican holidays that would fill the hotels?
  11. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Dia del Muerte is the first weekend of Nov, but you oughta be OK where you're going.

The long weekend of 13-16 is the 1000.
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Check the 1000 route before you get to Baja. I dont recommend going against the grain of the pre-runners, especially on the weekends. If you do you will have some serious oh shit moments at the very least. If you elect to go against the grain, make sure it on a wide open section with good visibility. If you are riding along and see a bunch of fresh "W" (wrong way signs) Cuidado!

If you want to ride some stuff in Baja that will turn a 990 into a pile of parts I recommend any of Bill Nichols routes.:rofl The ones from Puertecitos to San Quintin and Catavina to El Rosario are particularly fun.

A couple of things to keep in mind when riding Baja during the 1000 prerunning season. Hotels can be crowded, but there are always plenty of places to stay. Dont expect a planned fuel stop to actually have fuel. Never pass up the opportunity to fuel up. IF you find fuel but dont think you need any, buy some anyway. When you pull into town for the night, by fuel right then, dont wait until morning. Always carry a Baja Credit Card (siphon tube).