Copper Canyon Tour Companies?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by riderddonald, Feb 16, 2008.

1. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    I am planing a trip to Copper canyon for later this year and have been reseaching tour companies. I am planing on taking my two sons who are 25 and 22 before they get to the point they wont have time to go. I have a DL650 set up for the back roads and I am looking at buying a DR650 this summer so I should have at least two of the three bikes for the trip.

Thought about going by ourselfs but I don't speak spanish and I don't know the area. I also plan two multi-day rides a year for our road bike friends so I don't feel like doing all the planing. I am busy enough.

If anyone has had experience, good or bad, with any tour companies I would like to here from you.
  2. Sparkdaddy

Sparkdaddy aventurero

Oddometer:
  3. DualSportKid

DualSportKid Battered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommend moto discovery. Good company, great guide. I did their Copper Canyon expedition tour a few years ago for my first trip to Mexico and it could not have been better. I am an advanced off road rider and was on a XR650L so it was a little too road and two track oriented for me but perfect for the bigger Vstroms and GSs, or people on a smaller bike with limited off road experience. I probably would not want anything smaller than a DRZ400 for this trip. Your DL650 would be perfect. Also good chioce using a tour company for your first trip. They will lead you through all the does and don'ts, its money well spent.
  4. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I've narrowed it down to the two companies you guys suggested. Right now it's a toss up. Probibly be a fall trip so I'll keep researching.
  5. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I went with MotoDiscovery last year for a week trip to Botapillas as well. It was well organized and it was a great trip. I went "organized" since it was my first trip to Mexico and it sure made things real easy. The Copper Canyon trip was awesome, now I need to go back and see much more then what we could see in a week.
  6. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    ... they really aren't necessary. If you can follow a map, you'll get there fine. Read any of the CC ride reports for hotel info and such.
  7. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Creel, contact Tres Amigos. They are on the main drag and specialize in adventure tours of the canyon. They speak english and rent 4x4 vehicles.

If both bikes are in your name, you will only be allowed to take one into Mexico. Make sure the second bike is in your partners name.

And I agree with K7(Hi, Garry), tour companies are not really necessary. If you are looking for a great place to stay in Creel, check out Villa Mexicana. It has hosted several HU events and the last Chabolas(sp?) rally.
  8. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    An advrider.com member, enduro-ince, is down there right now. I spent the last week with him. He will be offering guide services in the canyon- knows the place real, real well. You should pm him if you are looking for someone who can take you through the canyon on a beautiful, scenic trip, without getting lost, without paying a fortune, without the "hassle" of going through a tour company and a ride tailored to whatever level you are comfortable with. He's not doing tours- just guiding. Cheers!
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I would agree with this statement, but with one exception.

It is very, very fun to be able to ride the trails and roads without having to carry all that gear, and make the logistical decisions for a group. I did a ride with Rosen's Rides a few years back (with Clement Salvadori :deal ) and it was a whole lot of fun, even though I already knew my way around pretty well by then. I had loads of fun. The bikes are much more fun to ride with 20+pound less on them, and with the Rosen's folks, you spend quite a bit more time in out of the way places than you do with some of the other tour operators down there. I'd love to go back with them again and ride their newer route through Uruachi. Motodiscovery is a bit more road oriented, but the scenery is still excellent. Anyway, pick the type of riding you want to do, and find a tour guy that suits it. You'll have fun either way.

So the big thing is the difference between vacation vs. adventure, and how you want to spend your time. Like I said, it's nice to not have to carry all the gear and just ride from place to place - and just enjoy being there.
  10. Owlseye

Owlseye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with Rosen's Rides last May. They were very accommodating to our schedule (they did one extra trip after their regular season for just two of us). However Ricki sent me an email (that I've since deleted) that they sold their business to .... darned if I can remember. I do remember that she said that the new company has been in that area for a while, and although they specialize in ATV tours, would continue with bikes too. I rented their bikes while there (rode my Vstrom down) and the bikes were in excellent shape.

I chose a tour company because even though I read all the reports, until you're there, its still fairly intimidating for a newbie. It was reassuring to know that at the end of the day, I knew where I was going to stay, and that where ever that was that there would be a cold beer in close proximity. Justin (who may or may not still run the hotel in Cerachaui) was our guide, is minimally intrusive and very helpful. And it was nice to ride with basically no luggage-

Which ever way you choose to go to Coppper Canyon, you'll enjoy it. After I build up the reserve fund some more, I'm heading back. I'd like to do a tour from Creel through the canyons to the coast and accross to Baja...
  11. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    I'm in Ohio and it's a 1,700 mile trip to El Paso and I will have a limited time. To save 4 days we'll probably fly in and rent to safe time. Sometimes it sucks to own your own business. Thanks for the input so far and I'll keep checking back.
  12. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The chase truck can be a good thing if you ever have a leg sticking out at a bad angle.
  13. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Well that kinda sucks that Rosen's Rides has been sold. I enjoyed riding with Justin and chatting with Ricki.

Bummer. :cry
  14. oldkiller

oldkiller silent Bob

Oddometer:
    A few friends and I went with Moto Discovery last April. As mentioned previously, it's nice to have the chase vehicle for luggage but also for transporting people if necessary. One of us got sick in Batopilas and couldn't ride so into the truck with him and his bike. That night in Creel, 3 more of us got the revenge. Recovering sick guy out of the truck and eenie meeny guy got in. It was a looong ride that day.
    Other than that, having someone around who knows the ropes and handles lodging, meals, bike maintenance and itinerary for a first trip relieves a lot of the stress of trying to do all that on your own.
    I'd use them again.
  15. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I will be doing guided day rides out of Batopilas next January and february. theses are rides for 650 and smaller dirtbikes, no gringos in sight, great lunch stops, great people, and views and roads to die for. I will have a sag wagon available as an option, but of course that will cost more. if any one is interested please pm or email me. I have half day rides and FULL day rides. one big full day ride has been named the "El Jefe". 100 miles of pure bliss. I´ll be ridie reporting some of this trip when I get back home.
  16. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been to Copper Canyon with both Rosens Ride and Moto Discovery. The Moto Discovery tour was 90% road and 10% off road, where as Rosens Ride was a 20% road and 80% off road.

I had a great time on both rides and it comes down to how much off road riding you want to do.