Corbin custom seats vs Sargent

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by texas_aggie, Jul 22, 2016.

1. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a sargent on my last bike, and it was plenty comfy for all-day riding, especially with a sheepskin. I was about to order another sargent, and stumbled across the corbin website. The corbin is about the same money, and it can be ordered totally customized and made out of LEATHER. My thought is since leather can breathe, it would be more comfortable in the summer. Leather also has a character of its own. Also, it is a one-piece seat so it ends up actually being a little less money than buying the sargent front and back sections. What I'm thinking is, that if the corbin is generally as comfy as the sargent, I think a custom leather seat would be nicer than the mass-produced sargent vinyl one.

Curious about everyone's thoughts on these two options, with the assumption that they will both be comfortable.

half_canyondualsport_2_nowelt.jpg
  2. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    The Corbin will weigh probably twice the weight of the Sargent. Seat pan fit can be iffy with the Corbin and comfort is real subjective. Really liked my Corbin on my 1100GS, no so much on my 1200. And you'll own the Corbin once you order it, like it or not. You know already what you got in the Sargent. Doesn't Sargent offer leather ? I have black suede on my current Sargent.
    Schlug likes this.
  3. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had Corbin in the past and went with Sargent for my '14. I'm very happy with the Sargent. Also, as stated above the Corbin seats are crazy heavy.
  4. WacoDirtryder

WacoDirtryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corbin customer service just flat SUCKS if it wasn't for Harley's they would go under. If your thinking about one just save yourself some money and go to Lowes and buy a 2X6 and bolt it on the bike it's the same feel.
  5. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Personally hate any seat that tries to lock you into one position. I gotta move around to change the pressure points. Plus, if you cant easily slide off the seat to the inside of a corner, its just not safe. Tried a standard sargent on my 09 and returned it after 100 miles...painful really. The stock suits me fine. As for Corbin, they are known for their super-hard seats. I tried one on my FJR and that went back too.
  6. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Had both on mt GS. Wished the Corbin away into the cornfield.
    I always come back to a Sargent.
    The Corbin was comfy enough just sitting on a long straight road. But the biggest bich besides weight was the funky 3rd world height adjustment design and the cut of the seat at the thigh area. Made it a bitch to get a foot down at a stop.
    But hey, some peeps like 'em.
    texas_aggie likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Corbin ass, and have since my first K75. I had one on my R1100RS, R1100GS, KLR and then 05 R1200GS, when I found out the R1200 does not work for me.

A few things about the Corbin. They are heavy, made from old fashioned inch thick fiberglass. They have decent cover material in leather or vinyl, and foam hard as a rock with a long break-in period.

On my 05 R1200GS I tried 5 seats, and ended up with the Sargent. When I got my 15 R1200GS I went right to Sargent! I now say I have a Sargent ass (that doesn't sound right :shog )
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  8. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    OP, you didn't say which year bike you're talking about, but the pic looks like for a water-cooled bike.

I just tried a Corbin on my '14 GSW, and like the small note on the Corbin site says, they designed this seat for very tall people. That is, the seating pocket for the rider is several inches further back than on the stock seat. I'm 5'8", and found that pocket way too far back for me. When I slid back into the pocket it felt good, but then it felt like I was laying across the tank like on my old sportbikes.

My normal/comfortable seating position put me on top of the Corbin in an awkward and uncomfortable position. I made it 20 minutes into my trial ride, returned home, reinstalled the OEM seat and sold the Corbin. Too bad, as I think it would have been nice with that pocket further forward. Oh, and my wife merely sat on the pillion section and said she hated it as she had no room.

Never tried a Sargent on this bike though, but used a Sargent pretty successfully for about 80k miles on my old '07 GSA. Like others, I had been a satisfied Corbin user on several bikes prior to that.
  9. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few points;

Rapid Dog - "Wished the Corbin away into the cornfield." - awesome reference, wonder how many will get it or even remember it!

JVB - "I have a Corbin ass" - read hard-ass!

Had/Have Corbin. Great seats, will literally last forever if you treat them right. Like them on the Harley more than on the BMW's. They are heavy due to the much denser foam they use which will keep your butt from hurting on really long rides.

I switched to the Seat Concepts dense foam tall seat on my 1100 and really like it.

I had a seat made for my '07 from a company that is no longer around from the stock pan. Higher in front, denser foam, but a bit narrower. Got it back form the buddy I sold it to when I got my '09 and have it on there.

Now, my issue is that it is stock length and my butt (and legs) are not stock length. So I am planning on putting the pillion seat back on after I get some heavier foam for it. Making a wedge to go between the two seats and covering it all with a tight fitting custom made cover I can take on and off so I can have a "solid" seat that runs the entire length.

This, I hope, will make the '09 perfect for my freakishly long body!
    TT RDHS likes this.
  10. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a Corbin in the past,not a fan for many reasons already mentioned.
    Sargent is a good production saddle.
    If you want a good custom seat,look at BMS(Rocky Mayer) Saddles or Russell Saddles.

JR356
  11. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    The failure is inherent to putting style above function. If the original seat is poorly shaped, it can also compromise it's replacement. The materials Corbin uses are the same between the 11xx & the 1200, But the comfort level is miles apart.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been on Corbin's for a long time. The firm foam works for me---I can slide back and forth, side to side easily and like the farther back position with my long inseam. Plus, the Corbin has been the only seat I don't have problems on long days---no hot spots.
    ausfahrt and Jedi5150 like this.
  13. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, this makes me want to try a Corbin. One of my complaints with the seating area is that it locks me into one position, and that position could stand to be a couple inches further back with my 36" inseam and long thighs.

Off to search in the Flea Market...
  14. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was such a great episode. It scared the crap out of me when I was young.
    Toytec likes this.
  15. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll bet this will work well for you while seated. Height-wise, the Corbin I tried on my GSW felt about like the OEM seat on the high front & back positions.

Here are a couple pics from the very short time it was on my bike.

SAM_2345.JPG SAM_2350.JPG
  16. 633squadron

633squadron weenie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a Corbin on my previous bike and liked it, but an important note: I live an hour away from the Corbin headquarters in Hollister, so I got to trade in my old seat pan, and I got a custom right there fit.
    Who makes the best seat? Who makes the best helmet? One thing's for sure, if it doesn't fit your butt, you're not gonna like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    I'm in the leather upholstery business and leather does not breathe, that's a common misconception. Leather is porous, however and it's not waterproof so it can be ruined in heavy rain - be sure to buy a seat cover that is waterproof and use it. Also, if an aniline leather (like on the new Indian motorcycles) it will fade rapidly in sunlight. If you want a seat that has a lot of airflow to it, you can't beat a Kontour Seat, though you have to furnish a pan and they build it for you. The only thing with a Kontour seat is that it flows so much air, you can't really use it in the winter or when temps drop below 50 degrees, it will freeze your balls off.

http://kontourseat.com/

Corbins are very firm seats, and heavy. Sargents just seem to work the best on GS bikes for some reason, I think I've tried them all (currently running Sargent)
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Also, Sargent will do custom work for a reasonable fee, around $90 to mod their seat.
  19. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a Sargent seat on the GSA...gave me class 2 pressure sores on a 2500 mile trip...Got the Corbin with back rest and never looked back. Just my experience. Your ass may vary.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    All asses vary. It is nature, and big business for seat makers.
    korie and Buster1971 like this.