Corbin or Sargent?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Kylio, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Kylio

Kylio Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the question...I'm sure this topic has been covered many times before. Butt...

Who makes the best seat for RT's?

Are the choices for aftermarket seating limited to Corbin and Sargent? Or are there more?

:ear
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Oh my oh my. Aside from Corbin and Sargent, there is Russell, BMC, RMC, Wunderlich, and BMW Comfort. As far as which one is best, you'll need to define "best". Besides, what's best for you, might be shite to someone else.
  3. bor2run

bor2run n00b

Oddometer:
    Bill Mayers Saddles .........Period
  4. Kylio

Kylio Rider

Oddometer:

The only two factors I will be considering would be 1.) Comfort and 2.) Durability. How do the manufacturers you mentioned rate and what do you set on?

Thanks
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Isn't that a little like ,,,,,,,,,Comma?
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Well if those are your two primary considerations, that takes Corbin out of the picture.

As far as durability, the rest are all about the same. Comfort is a VERY subjective issue. Right now, I'm riding on the BMW comfort seat (which also happens to be the cheapest...and I'm a bit disgruntled that a month after I bought it, they started coming from the factory on 1150RTs :mad: )

Russell is generally recognized as the most comfortable, primarily due to the lateral spring that's an integral part of the design. Little trivia tidbit: that design was invented by Bill Mayer...BMC and RMC's late daddy. All the others use a foam core that cannot be made as wide as the Russell, because the foam would shear off the pan without the reinforcement. Someday one of those boys is going to come out with a similar design utilizing the lateral spring, since the patent expires this year, I believe. If they do it right, and can keep up with demand, Russell is going to have to start doing something else. The worst part of Russell is the extended leadtime.

That said, I've got a brand-spankin' new Russell sitting in a box that I might let go for a good price. It's all leather and will fit both 1100 and 1150 RTs. Make an offer, if you're interested.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the asylum!! :1drink
  7. xrmattaz

xrmattaz Retiremented Supporter

Oddometer:
    and i have only praise for the 30+ corbin saddles i have owned, on bikes such as 1100GS, K75, ZX12 and 6R, VFR800, ZRX1100....just to name a few. i've never experienced a corbin saddle that i did not immediately fall in love with. shite, even the HD looooooooowrider was transformed into a 600 mile a day bike, with the addition of a fine corbin product!!

i did experience one of them Russell Hour Long Saddles one time, on an otherwise perfect ST1100 that i was considering buying, i did not buy that bike, secondary to this.

just my 2 pennies, as is yours, as far as personal saddle preference. amen:huh
  8. hudge1

hudge1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Corbin on my K1200RS was comfortable, but the fit to the bike and adjustability weren't in their design priorities because both were lousy. Corbin usually intentionally moves the rider's seating position back, so that could be either a plus or minus, depending on how you like the position of the stock saddle.
    I decided to try to new Sargent saddle on the GS, and will let you guys know how it works out.
  9. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    My RTs came with the "comfort" saddle. My ass was on fire one hour into a ride. I bought a Sargent ( acually had my "comfort" saddle made into a Sargent), because I didn't know much about the Russel style of saddle. I am very happy with it, it is comfortable and looks good. Because Sargent used my comfort pan that is wider than the regular saddle that may make a difference in how comfortable it is. I got them to add the "M" color stripe and grey piping. I have a Corbin on my CBR1100XX and on the few rides I have taken its been good. Corbins are hard and Sargents are soft. I have not spent all day on the Corbin yet but the Sargent holds up fine for a full day of riding. At least with both saddles its not my ass that gets sore first.