Corbin seat for a 2018 Tiger XRT - Does it help with the friction points and soreness?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by DrMcNasty, Nov 22, 2020.

1. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for feedback from others on here around Corbin seats.
    Let me explain the issue I am trying to solve.

I have a 2018 Triumph Tiger XRT, and I enjoy doing long (week or more) road trips on the bike. But, the bike runs hot, and I mean "cook the jewels" hot.

With the factory seat on the bike tilted towards the tank, the issue with this is the primary contact patch for the bottom is right in the area of where your thigh meets you backside, also known as the butt curl. Well this butt curl space on the inner thigh where the pressure and friction point is on the bike gets raw and sore, I presume from the moisture being caught in place and the primary friction point.

So I have started wearing bicycle shorts as gitch instead, which has seemed to help, but I would like to find a better solution to this to make these long trips more enjoyable. The daily mileage isn't the issue, the existing seat is comfy but it is doing it day after day, the rash area gets sore and pimply, if that makes sense (Now you are all thinking about my butt curl).

I have been looking at the aftermarket seats lately, and to get a Corbin done and over the border, I am upwards of $1,000 CAD. I just have a hard time stomaching this for something I can't be sure will make a difference with my issue for day after day riding.

From what I can see for their model for this bike they flatten out the seat area more, and give a little more surface area to soften the pressure points. This makes me think it will help. I would have to give up my heated seat, as I wouldn't be paying the extra to get the Corbin heat option as it doesn't integrate with the main system on the bike so I am not really interested in some after market switching option. So a secondary question, has someone tried to integrate Corbin heat to the factory circuit?

So for those that have, or have had Corbin seats, are they worth the $1000?

This is the seat I am looking at.
    https://www.corbin.com/triumph/ttgr811gl.shtml

tiger-xrt.jpg
  2. Kerrizor

Kerrizor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corbins are ok.. but it sounds like your issue isn't support (which the widened seat of most aftermarket mods offer..) but airflow. Have you tried any of the cheaper sheepskin/beaded seat options already? Improving airflow to your butt curl will help your sweat not pool and stew (which is an ideal environment for bacteria to start to chew into your skin, hence the monkey butt problem)
  3. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried the first long distance run with sheepskin on the seat and it only made it worse I think as I held the heat in more.

I have seen some creams that cyclists use and have debated on trying that for this next summer. The thing is this summer will be 3 weeks, not one so I need to be confident on the solution.
  4. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try Fresh Balls cream, and Gold Bond Friction Defense before you drop some change on a custom seat. The Fresh Balls cream goes where you'd expect, and the Friction Defense is a stick, just like a deodorant stick that you'd rub on the back of your thighs and cover the area you're having a problem with. You can get both of these at Wallmart and it would cost you about $15 for the two of them. Just try these first.

I have a custom seat on my Tiger, a Russel Day Long, it's great for exactly doing what you do; i.e., ride several long days one after the other. But in the summer here in the south I still have to deal with sweating even though I wear mesh pants and only my boxers under the mesh pants. So I use Fresh Balls and Gold Bond Friction Defense and I do not have any problems if I use them.
    Kerrizor likes this.
  5. Kerrizor

Oddometer:
    Beads are the way to go, then (at least, the cheap way to go..) instead of the sheepskin; they're weird at first, but really help. Custom seats are a bit better if the problem is lower back/hip/pressure point pain problems.

The creams and powders are fine, up to a point - I find you end up with a crotch full of gritty paste as often as not.

Good base layers help - LD Comfort base layers are splendid to help with this.
  6. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your seat in the higher or lower position? I ask because mine is in the higher and it never gets that hot.
  7. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have tried it in the upper and the lower positions. I normally was swapping between the 2 to see if I could get a better result, but it didn't seem to make any manageable difference.
  8. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The base layer is what I found helped a little more. Changing from boxer briefs to the spandex cycling shorts helps with the air flow and not as much moisture. I was looking at the creams, and figure I could buy a lot of cream for the price of a Corbin which is why it is still something that is a viable possibility.
  9. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is good information, and a reasonable comparison to the issues I am having. I am leaning towards the creams since it is a hell of a lot less of a commitment than a $1000 seat, and I would get to retain my factory heat on the seat.
  10. Emmett

Oddometer:
    "This is good information, and a reasonable comparison to the issues I am having. I am leaning towards the creams since it is a hell of a lot less of a commitment than a $1000 seat, and I would get to retain my factory heat on the seat."

-FYI; if you ever do decide to get a custom seat, Russell Day Long can rebuild your heated seat and retain the heating element.
    Kerrizor likes this.
  11. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea on the cost to do this? I see they are in California which really sucks since I am in Ontario, Canada.
  12. Emmett

Oddometer:
    They have the prices for everything they do on their website. I saved some money by having them just recover, and not rebuild the pillion seat. I wanted the pillion seat to match, but I could have saved even more money just by sending in the saddle for a rebuild and cover and not bothered to send in the pillion.
  13. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. I would do the same as well. How long ago did you have it done? How has it weathered / lasted? Did it make a huge difference to the ride?
  14. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I added a beadrider to my tiger and as noted above its odd at first. After I got used to it I don't think I could go without. Riding in Oklahoma and Texas it gets pretty warm, and with the bead rider I can feel the airflow. You might check if they are doing the black Friday deal and give it a try. I got the "ultimate" that uses ceramic beads, so will hopefully last longer than thestandard wooden beads.
    Kerrizor likes this.
  15. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at those and the air cushion ones. The cushion ones seem to be questionable at best, and yes, I am in the same boat that I wasn't sure how the beads would feel. But it is good to know that you eventually adapt to it. I will look and have to find one to try out.
  16. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It only takes a couple rides that aren't even very long to get used to. Now if I ride a bike without a beadrider I notice how much warmer and damper my backside is on a ride. Definitely worth trying in my opinion.
    Kerrizor likes this.
  17. Kerrizor

Oddometer:
    Honestly, its a cheap solution to your problem. A custom seat is NOT going to help the issue of heat coming off the Tiger.
  18. Emmett

Oddometer:
    "Fair enough. I would do the same as well. How long ago did you have it done? How has it weathered / lasted? Did it make a huge difference to the ride?"

It's held up fine after three years and 30,000 miles or more, and yes, it made a huge difference in comfort and the first thing I will do on my next bike is get inline with RDL to have the seat for whatever new bike I get to be redone by them.

Three things I did to my 2016 Tiger to make it comfortable that I would do again; first is the RDL seat, then a Madstad windshield, then some inexpensive highway foot pegs. Those three mods/farkels I'd do again w/o hesitation.
  19. DrMcNasty

DrMcNasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny enough I am looking at highway pegs for my SW MoTech Crash bars right now. Everything is 1" or 1 1/4" which doesn't work well with a 1 1/8" bar. I will have to work with that and get some means to tighten them up enough. I will check into that screen as well.
    I have been in tough with RDL, and I have seen a couple pictures they have on their site but nothing that matches the year of mine. Any chance you can snap a photo of the seat on your bike. I am more curious about the aesthetics of it since the back pan edge seems slightly .. obnoxious.
  20. Emmett

Oddometer:
    65CD8CB4-A882-4969-911E-53D23463A41F.jpeg F309BEDB-8595-4C25-8D3D-8B06D0C46F1F.jpeg F309BEDB-8595-4C25-8D3D-8B06D0C46F1F.jpeg
    Kerrizor likes this.