Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Celtic Curmudgeon

Celtic Curmudgeon Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer:
    Interested in your experiences with cordless tools...here is my situation. I currently have a Porter Cable drill and 1/4 driver that have worked VERY well for the past 5-6 years. I need a couple more tools, namely a cordless impact wrench (mainly for motorcycle stuff and rotating tires on the truck, etc), cordlless jig saw, and possibly a hammer drill.

Here's the rub - Porter Cable is now owned by the Stanley Black & Decker Craftsman kabal, and the PC tools are disappearing from retail stores. SBD is pushing their newly acquired Craftsman line, and rumor has it Porter Cable cordless will be discontinued. Note the new Craftsman V20 line looks like a clone of the Porter Cable, although they're not cross-compatible.

Now, as far as my needs - I'm tinkerer, DIYer, and Landlord. I'm NOT a pro. Thus Makita, Bosch, even DeWalt is probably overkill, and I"m looking for a good 'value' (but not cheapo) brand.

Do I 1. round out my Porter Cable gear accepting the risk that batteries might become hard to come by in a few years, 2. go with the new Craftsman since SBD spent a Billion $ on it and it's not going away, 3. Bite the bullet and go with Ridgid (quite at bit more than I want to spend, but excellent quality) or 4. Go with Ryobi , since their very affordable and have a huge assortment of tools, and have used the same battery system since 1997.

I don't need a huge assortment, the hammer drill and jig saw will see occasional use, the impact fairly often and the drill/drive combo I use a lot around the house.

Thoughts?
  2. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anonny and Celtic Curmudgeon like this.
  4. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the beginning of an oil thread but I'll bite anyway. My experience has been that buying cheap tools is expensive. You don't get any satisfaction while you're using it, then it craps out way too soon. I tried the Rigid stuff, threw out the hammer drill, reciprocating saw and multitool in a fit of rage. And I don't regret it. Rigid should stick with plumbing tools. Nothing against Dewalt or Milwaukee but I'm liking the Makita stuff lately. I've never owned Ryobi, looks too much like Fisher-Price. And it's not so much cheaper that it tempts me...
    k-ris, ydarg and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe more than you want to spend on an impact driver, but I believe the Milwaukee M12 stubby cannot be beat. I got the 2554-22 3/8" kit and wow, my god is this thing good, and not a huge 15lb thing like my prior Dewalt. About $240.00, but I'm a tool junky and will say one of my best loved tools ever. I stay M12, then you can buy various drills, whatever. They make gobs of M12 stuff.
    racer1735 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. Celtic Curmudgeon

Celtic Curmudgeon Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer:
    AGAIN - Milwaukee, Makita, or Bosch are gold standards, but for DIY around the house is overkill. The Porter Cable stuff has been fine, I'm just concerned that it won't be around 3-5 years from now. And Ridgid is shit? Fucking seriously?
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. Old_Fat_and_Slow

Old_Fat_and_Slow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ryobi is/has served me well. Have a handful of batteries and ~12 of their tools.

No complaints.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a whole set of Ryobi, from a drill, to an impact driver, to a 1/2 impact wrench to a Multitool and even a flashlight. Great tools that take serious abuse.
  9. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Simple solution, wait for a sale and go with Milwaukee.
    They have multiple model numbers of just about every tool. Look at their second or third tier of stuff, it’s not nearly as expensive as the top of the line brushless variable speed wizbang version but still very good and you’re in the family then for battery compatibility if you do find there is one tool that you want in the high end version.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont have any ryobi stuff but will admit you sure get a hell of alot for the price and their stuff looks pretty decent.

Owning Milwaukee is nice but in the last year they sure seem pretty proud about their pricing so I only buy when the stuff is on sale and still more than similar Ryobi stuff costs.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really use mine a LOT. So far I have no complaints. One 4 year old battery died, but I bought two off brand from Amazon and they seem just as good.
  12. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far my Milwaukee batteries are doing good to, with the prices on new ones I hope they last forever.

I think ryobi is a good brand, I bought Milwaukee as my Grandpa and Dad have had them so know they are quality.....heard more than a few tools to go somewhere else thou.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  13. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    This......

You can say the same thing about Dewalt too. The 20v line has multiple tiers and price points.
  14. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a shit ton of Milwaukee M12 stuff that has been flawless. Most was purchased factory refurb from CPO tools. They often have very good bundle deals too.
  15. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a fan of the Milwaukee M12 stuff. Particularly the drill/driver-impact combo. If you can hold out a few weeks, the big-box stores will run their holiday sales. Last year, I picked up the combo for $139 and it included two batteries, plus an additional two (so I got four batteries). And they hold a charge forever.
    My son is a professional mechanic. He likes Rigid and I will vouch for their performance, as well
    severely and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ryobi again and the high capacity aftermarket batteries have been well worth the money.

For that reason I'd suggest you make sure you can get aftermarket batteries with a decent rep. for whatever you buy and use that to make the decision not the tool itself.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe in overkill, I believe in what works best for the longest amount of time. While remodeling my kitchen three years ago I borrowed my electricians Milwaukee cordless which was M18 Fuel because my old Makita stuff wasn't getting the job done. I went out shortly after and bought the drill/impact kit and never looked back. Just this weekend I had to install Hardie backer board for a new floor in my rental house and that impact just laughed at the job. On top of that they hold an amazing charge. It's the only cordless tools I'll buy now.
  18. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Ryobi stuff for home use. It's not the lightest, the most powerful or the most refined cordless tools but in 12 years I have never broken one either. The selling point for me is there same use of battery style for years. Home Depot should have a sale on them within a month.
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certain tools are best bought corded while cordless is very handy in some situations. Much depends on shop work vs. mobility. My Makita jig saw gets now & then use over many years and is high end stuff-no reason for me to replace it as I already own it. Cordless tools have become std issue for people in the trades. Milwaukee has a great reputation but two of my three sons had to throw away the cordless drill I got them. So far, I'm in love with my Dewalt cordless 3/8 impact and impact drill. Lots of modern tool bits and pieces fit the quick change style hex driver stuff.
    Most brands have certain tools they bring out that shine more than others.
  20. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

Agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The prices have dropped where the budget stuff makes little sense.

M18 and M12 drill and impact combo kits with two batteries, charger can be found for under $200 often on sale for $169.

Example for a 4 tool M12 kit for $209 at HD
    • Includes Drill, Impact, Hackzall, Light, Impact Wrench, Batteries

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-310125766-_-310125616-_-N

M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Tool Kit (4-Tool) with Free M12 3/8 in. Impact Wrench
    KeithinSC and toypro1 like this.