Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee M12 stubby in 3/8" is great as I said before. I also have the 1/4 and 1/2 fuel ratchets and my thoughts are kind of mixed. They claim whatever, don't remember, but if you have a bolt tightened to 20ft/lb, they won't ever take them loose. Stuff tightened to 10ft/lb they work great, and they tighten good, maybe too good, you have to use care and go slow.
    SmittyBlackstone and CA_Strom like this.
  2. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used all these brands and although the mechanisms always worked, the batteries all went to shit in less than a year. I put the usual homeowner type use to them, use them non-stop the first two weeks, then they sit. Sit on the charger, sit off the charger. When I need them again the batteries won't hold much of a charge.

All except the Bosch. The early, early 9v used Bosch drill out lived a new Dewalt with much bigger battery. The new Bosch units will out work me in a day. Got a 1/2" hammer drill and 1/4" hex impact for $200. Incredible power.
  3. +venture

+venture Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What Zuber said.
    Bosch for me. Bought the lightweight hammer drill and pulled up mudded tile kitchen floor, pounded holes into concrete walls, and scraped plaster off of brick this summer while redoing our kitchen. Used my oscillating saw, drill, and impact driver heavily. Three batteries, two 4 amp, and one 2 amp. All kept taking a charge and coming right back. Batteries are at least 4-5 years old.
    Filled two twenty yard dumpsters and wore myself down pretty good, but all my Bosch stuff still working fine.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, I use my Ryobi tools nearly daily, and the batteries have been fine for the last 4 years.
  5. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    es - I got my bosch stuff from cpo refurb.. I have the small 12v hammer drill and I love it - not too pricey and is a pleasure to use. Friend has a Milwaukee and loves it - heavier but fine. I think for a drill or a sander a good tool is worth it. Some are not that critical - depending on what you do - I have ryobi circular saw that was around $20 10 years ago - works fine as I don't use it much - same for the chop saw. But some tools make even occasional use either a misery or a joy.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have two multi-battery chargers hanging on my wall in the Man Cave: Ryobi 18v and Milwaukee M12. As the Ryobi stuff breaks (and it does not happen often), I'm replacing with M12, mostly Fuel. M12 tools of note: 1) the tiny 3/8" impact, 2) the air compressor, 3) the stapler... I love this stuff.

My big shop air compressor only gets used for my son's auto body tools now. I'm hoping to ditch those as well.
    racer1735 likes this.
  7. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makita is good stuff too. But the big box stores really don't stock their full lineup and they rarely have great sales.

The biggest letdown with Milwaukee for me is their drills, specifically the chuck. Though I hear they fixed that, somewhat, on the latest M18 Fuel drills. I prefer Makita or Dewalt for drills. Milwaukee is hard to beat for impacts.
  8. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    x3 on the Bosch. Although I did have a charger shit the bed. Batteries are at least 5 years old.
    +venture likes this.
  9. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
  10. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but AvE on YouTube should be watched by everyone in this thread. He dissects power tools and shows what's good and what probably isn't. 100% viewer funded and won't accept anything from and manufacture included tools to review.

Before I make any tool purchase I do a search to see if he's ripped one apart yet.

Oh, it isn't family friendly. Lots of f bombs.
    bike41, squish and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    Isn't AvE a Hilti fanboy? Hilti tools are great but expensive for the DIYer. $400 for a drill.
  12. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    He generally is but he has shown a few Hilti tools where they cheaped out on components and said it wasn't worth the money. I think there was a Festool that he thought was cheaply made for the price also.

I forget what it was but there was a Ryobi tool that he was extremely impressed with the components used. He shows that none of the manufacturers are consistent.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had Bosch 12 and 18v stuff for 10+ years still running the same batteries. Primarily drills/drivers but also grinders and jig saw. My Bosch pocket 12v stuff was out before the other brands developed theirs. The fact my Bosch batteries are still going strong is surprising me.

I have a fair amount of Milwaukee 12v stuff (ratchet/solder iron/stapler/grease gun/bandsaw) and then an assortment of Ingersoll Rand 18v impacts.

I think for most people with a home owner emphasis I'd say go Makita.

If you want a line for no compromise wrenching, Ingersoll Rand IQV
    [​IMG]
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO, I have little respect for people who can't make a video without copious swearing. Don't get me wrong, I swear often, but it has no place in videos for public consumption unless you are a rapper or comedian! :deal There are a few very smart how too guys making videos that I just can't watch.
    racer1735, MotoChris521 and ydarg like this.
  15. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee even though op said not Milwaukie
    Screenshot_20191028-091234.png
    +venture likes this.
  16. cresmond

cresmond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am Milwaukee guy also. I'm very impressed with their impacts and drills.
  17. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I'm not a professional wrench, but I did do it for about three years,
    In a manner of speaking I was working at an R&D shop making neat things.

Here's what I have.
    A Bosch drill driver, because it's small and it's two batteries work very well, and last a long time. it's great when you are screwing something in an awkward position and you don't want the weight and bulk of a bigger tool...

For everything else, I have a 20v Dewalt impact driver.
    it was a cheapo big box holiday sale, and was a no frills buy.
    Hell I even had to add a belt clip for it.
    But it works, it's perfect for doing stuff on the bike or around the house.
    I picked up a second battery by way of a leaf blower, it came with the big long life battery (I forget the size) a second charger and the leaf blower, for $90, I couldn't pass that up, a second battery is $80 just the battery.

I first used the impact drive on the job, and it was great for a bunch of stuff, I have bad hands and suffer from using wrenches and especially screwdriver type motions, just makes my hands and wrist hurt afterwards. So anything to reduce that pain is worthwhile to me.

The rest of my tools are corded
    Mostly because I just don't use them enough to warrant having the batteries around
    And I like the extra and consistent torque offered by the corded versions.

The only tools I could see to add to what I use now, I wouldn't mind having a caulking gun, but I only need it a whole bunch every couple of years. and then nothing in between.

A portable reciprocating saw wouldn't be too bad. but again I hardly every need it, except for like three days every four years or so.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  18. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got an M12 Impact, 3/8 wrench, and Fuel drill, all of which get used on the regular. For everything else I just use Ryobi. I don't use any other tools often enough so far to warrant better quality but for when i need a portable sawzall, circular saw, angle grinder, tire inflator, etc they do the job well enough. I also have corded versions of most though that I'll grab for shop work or when I know I have an outlet but we have 17 acres so that's not always possible!
  19. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    I'm of the mind you get what you pay for. When cordless tools first came out, they were pretty bad. I tried and then avoided them. But they got much better, and since then, I've gone through several complete 'kits' (impact, drill, saws) from Makita during my house building and construction phase (built my own houses).

I think I wore out 3 kits from Makita. Usually the chuck's crapped out. Spent some money having a few fixed, but the fix didn't last, or the batteries wouldn't take a good charge. I still think Makita makes / made a good tool. This last time around, I bought DeWalt. Found a great price locally on a extensive kit which included nut drivers (2), drills (2), skill saw, reciprocating saw. So far, so good, but not using the DeWalts nearly as much (yet) as I did the Makita's, although they have done quite a lot of work for me already. The batteries do not insert into the charger nearly as smoothly as Makita, but other then that, they do seem to be holding up quite well (would buy again).
  20. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer: