Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for big red. Especially love the lightweight impact for tire changes at autocross and I have been running the snot out of the multitool during a remodel. Which is a killer on battery consumption.

But in the shop itself, with the exception of the drills, I use corded tools. It's hard to beat the unlimited electrical supply....
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate dragging cords around, so I limit my corded tools to super heavy duty use. Rarely do I run out of battery power on normal days.
  3. StannisBaratheon

StannisBaratheon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you encountered anything the 3/8 stubby can't remove? I bought a 1/2" M18 mid torque and looking to pick up the 3/8 stubby to get into tighter spaces. Everyone seems to rave about them.
  4. Broken&Lost

Broken&Lost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the M12 stubby and it’s a great tool but nowhere near the power of a M18 1/2”. The stubby gets a lot more use than bigger one due to how versatile it is.
  5. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far the 3/8 stubby has removed all I've used it on, but 140ft/lb lugnuts are the tightest bolts I've used it on. A huge dewalt 1/2" electric impact I had would not budge 140ft/lb so I was more than pleased with the stubby. If by chance it doesn't have the power I would go to the air powered earthquake 1/2" Harbor Freight gun which for me has taken off everything I've used it on.
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I have a Hilti drill that was fantastic until the batteries died. Spent an entire day drilling 1/4" holes in 10G. stainless and it didn't let up. It also is pistol grip like the early Milwaukees rather than the drecky mid grips that are all the fashion (look ma, it stands up!. BFD). But I will have to send the batteries to a rebuilder and have them redone. The drill and batteries are NLA. I have a 12v makita impact I use for driving screws. Only one nut on the whole bike might want an impact and I just use a cheater pipe. I never assemble with an impact because it is a great way to over tighten things. I do have a corded 1/2" I use for lug nuts on the car. the 12V makita stuff (and the 9.6 volt with the stick battery) are iconic so batteries are available on the aftermarket. I havea a pair of little 10v Bosch battery tools, Impact and drill (and a light). They are doing OK but the company bought them and they saved maybe 10 min a job so the company was happy.

Overall I am getting away from cordless tools. I have all of them in a corded version, I will have them for life without spending any more except for the occasional cord. All the corded stuff is much more powerful, never runs out of juice and is extremely flexible. Cordless drills have poor motor cooling. (never mind the goofy hex chucks, find a #9 hex drill bit for tapping an M6 thread) Running a cordless drill at full load for an extended period will burn it out. So grinding wheels, buffing pads, paint mixers, wire wheels, sanding discs, etc., etc, are a no-go, even if you find a chuck adapter to chuck them up. I have a half dozen 1/4 to 3/8 corded drill I got at yard sales. None more than $5. Each has a dedicated tool chucked in it. Grab and go. none have lousy keyless chucks. somehow the keyed chucks work better. hmm.

The secret to corded tools is cord management. If you have any kind of tangle when you go to roll out a cord you lose. I use reels, the kind with the handle on the inside, not on top, (that is, the kind that work vs. looking like they will work). I can roll out cord as fast as I can walk and roll it up only slightly more slowly.

Dirty cords on somebodies carpet is never an issue. (I do HVAC too). Finished houses have outlets on the inside and I use a reel with the clean cord on it. An unfinished site I use an outdoor cord that might be dirty. I cannot imagine what I would want a electric tool, corded or otherwise, for in the middle of 17 acres, but I'm working on it.
  7. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee tools have a five-yr warranty, so your sons might have thrown money out the window. I have 15 of them and many batteries. They are exceptionally good about replacing anything that stops working. Their customer customer service in America and they want to have a Cadillac reputation. (That used to mean sometging)

Any Milwaukee tool that is labelled “Fuel” is the current generation. Any tool that isn’t is a prior generation and 30% less expensive.

Home Depot ONLINE is the best place to shop for them. They have much better pricing online than in the stores. A few days ago, I bought a Milwaukee 12v crown stapler, with a battery, from HD Online for $84. In the store, it was $99 without the battery. And you can’t go in the store and ask for the “online price”.
  8. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good tip on the Home Depot online thing, and thanks for telling me about an M12 tool I didn't know I needed! It looks like it's back up to $99 on HD.com with a free battery promo. I just found the bare M12 crown stapler on Amazon for $68. I've got plenty of M12 batteries and chargers, but HD's price of $99 is a good deal for the combo. Time to give my old manual staplers a rest...

https://www.amazon.com/M12-Stapler-3-8-Crown/dp/B077YV5SLJ
  9. Road Barnacle

Road Barnacle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no such thing as overkill. Buy once, cry once ... There are significant, tangible differences in not only the way tools are constructed but the battery packs themselves. Many tools are now brushless which is far more complicated technology than brush motors. I'll echo what has been stated about choosing a battery style and buying everything cordless around that component. Not only is it cheaper when you have to replace batteries but it avoids the necessity to have a charger farm operating on your bench top. It also provides the opportunity to swap out a battery with another tool you have on hand if you get low. There are more advantages than have been stated.
  10. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The older tools that use nicad battery packs, you can rebuild yourself. Open them up you see a series of batteries, a bunch of C size cells, or a bunch of AA. Either way, just go to ebay or whatever and buy the batteries individual and solder wires to them to connect together same way the originals were. The originals are spot welded together to make connection with metal tabs, but wire and solder works fine. I rebuilt a couple of my 18v Dewalt battery packs and they worked fine, but the tool itself was still not much good.
  11. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 20 yr-old Dewalt 14.4v NiCad right angle drill. Replacement batteries are $30 pair on Ebay. So I'm too cheap to replace the drill with a new Milwaukee 12v. Just seems like a waste of money. Even though the Milwaukee is much better quality, I hardly have a use for the right angle feature. Need it to wire my shop long ago.
  12. SilentRay

SilentRay Hold my beer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 23 y/o Makita right angle drill with the original battery and charger. Used it alot from 93 to 07 installing cabinets and counter tops but has rarely been used since 07. Battery still charges very quickly . Don't think I'll need another right angle drill for the rest of my life .

They don't make em like they use to .
  13. unfocused_adventure

unfocused_adventure Not my circus, not my monkeys... Supporter

Oddometer:

I own Dewalt cordless tools. The 1/2" impact, drill and driver get the F$&K beat out of them and not 1 issue over the last 3 years.
    These tools were my lifeline back then so does Harbor Freight have some that will work and might be close to the same thing?!?!?!
    Your call...
  14. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    I'm a BIG fan of the Ryobi One+ battery platform. It's been around a long, long time and Ryobi is committed to keeping it well in to the future. They have over 115 different cordless tools built around it now. As others in this thread have stated, the old blue Ryobi tools can be had dirt cheap and the new One+ lithium ion batteries snap right in where the old nicads used to and wake those old tools right up. Milwaukee and Ryobi are both made in the same factory by ITC. Pick which one, red or green, that makes the most types of tools you'll need. But be forewarned: Milwaukee hasn't shown the same commitment to their battery platforms as Ryobi has.

Signed,
    Guy who still has many Milwaukee corded tools but was hung out to dry on an older Milwaukee 12V platform and now only buys Ryobi cordless tools.
  15. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    For house/garage projects, I'm completely satisfied with the DeWalt tools.

Isn't anyone going to say Harbor Freight!?!?! LOL
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee M18 fuel all the way. I had so many bad experiences with cordless drills over the years that I decided I will never own another. Everything I had was corded.

Then someone dropped a Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver in the parking lot to the dance club I used to frequent. I contacted the owner, put an ad on Craigslist, and after a month decided it was mine. Bought a charger and used it... and it was better than my air impact gun at removing stubborn lug nuts and even more stubborn Honda GL500 swingarm nuts. I was so impressed that I bought the drill, and it’s every bit as powerful as a corded drill. I use it almost exclusively on metal and until the battery dies, I can tell no difference between it and my corded drills. (Well, except my Milwaukee corded hammer drill. That thing has more torque than any other drill I’ve ever owned)

I’m sold on the Milwaukee m18 fuel tools. They’re not cheap, but they’re wonderful to use.

Charles.
  17. ebolton

ebolton n00b

Oddometer:
    I've got Milwuakee, ryobi, and Dewalt tools. They've all been fine. I wouldn't worry about future battery buys. I've found when the batteries die it's usually cheaper or the same price to get a whole new tool with a battery included than buy a replacement battery, even when replacement batteries are still available. That's especially true if the new tool comes as a set with an extra battery, as is sometimes the case.
  18. TwoBigCats

TwoBigCats Long timer

Oddometer:
    homeowner / non-commercial user here.

I’ve got some health issues that make dragging cables around a real pain so I’ve now got about twenty Ryobi One+ 18V tools I use around house / motos / cars / RV.

in the past year we picked up their 40V mower (that my wife LOVES to use) and two days ago I picked their 40V 14” chainsaw. I don’t think either of these tools would be great for bigger projects but work well for our needs.
    Old_Lion likes this.