Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    I've been through them all except Milwaukee.

IMO, Hilti is top notch for commercial use.

Of the rest, I settled on Ridgid and have been using and abusing their tools on jobsites for years with minimal issues.

I'm sure they would be up to the task for your intended purpose.

But if I were to have a do-over, I'd go Milwaukee.
    Butters likes this.
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    That is impressive.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the DeWalt camp because most of my tools are supplied by work and they go with DeWalt. No complaints and readily available. If I had to start over, however, I'd be inclined to go with Milwaukee. I seem to hear more positive reviews about them and they are also readily available. But I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Another advantage to the tools being sold everywhere is that it is easier to find bargains. I see great battery deals on DeWalts all the time. I have also scored a couple tools a great discounts just by jumping on a deal when it appeared. I assume Milwaukee would be similar.

One caution I will throw out is with the multi-piece starter sets. Some of those sets cheap out on the batteries or the tools themselves. In the case of DeWalt, the circular saw found in most kits is small and underpowered. Probably not the saw you would buy if you were searching for the tool itself.
    scootac likes this.
  4. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out this monster. Another YouTube video shows it pulling off 41 semi-truck lug nuts on one charge.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  5. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    This is where my future cordless tool purchases are going.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/M12
    The M12 air compressor is one of my favorite new additions. I have the M12 staple gun, stubby impact, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets. As my Ryobi's die off, they will be replaced by Milwaukees. Having said that - the Ryobis have been very reliable. The keyless chuck on my old Dewault cordless drill failed first, which allowed me to dump one charger.
    I have posted this in the "what did you do in your garage.." thread, but I'll repeat here. While I have not had any issues with battery fires, these tools do get dropped. I built this fireproof box to store batteries and chargers, just in case.
    [​IMG]
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one thinking there is no ventilation and they're going to overheat charging in that box?

Also love my Milwaukee drill. It's just as powerful as a corded drill. I used to say I'll never buy another cordless tool, after many, many miserably underpowered tools. That's just not the case anymore.

Charles.
    JimVonBaden, ydarg and Butters like this.
  7. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a very interesting vid on Youtube listing which companies own all of the tool companies. Ego, for instance, owns a number of other tool companies.
    I couldn't keep track of whoall owned what, but I think it's safe to say that the day of an independent tool company is long over.
    For my tool purchases, I usually first look for a reconditioned tool on CPO online. If I need a tool right this minute, Lowes prices usually compete with online.
  8. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. First - I stole the idea from a pal that is head of battery development for one of the biggest car companies. Second - there is usually only one battery actually charging at a time, the rest are on maintainence mode. I don't notice the batteries getting excessively hot during charging. Third - I have been running it for a few weeks now and check the box for any heat - nothing yet. My pal suggests adding a vent to the outside simply to exhaust any of the nasty smoke that COULD come from a burst battery. That is on my upgrade list.
  9. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I'd add is stay away from the Dewalt Atomic stuff.

Still love my Milwaukee tools. I do need to send the drill in for warranty work.

I like the Hilti 22v brushless line but it's too pricey. The drill is really impressive, more powerful than Milwaukee. I've said it before Milwaukee excels in impacts but their drills aren't as good imo.
    scootac likes this.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm at the point where I will not buy anymore corded hand tools. I have a couple of drills, and a circular saw and jig saw, just in case, but from now on, only cordless.
  11. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Honest question: Why do you say that?

I have a hodgepodge of Hitachi, some HF and DeWalt cordless tools. My first DeWalt was the 12V Max 1/4" brushless impact driver with 2AH batteries and I really like it, way more control for small fasteners than the 20V HF one I have. I was considering getting the 1/2" Atomic drill kit as I found a deal at my local Lowe's for $119 with two 1.5AH batteries.
  12. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    This is the 1/4” impact I have. Very impressed with the power for its size and light weight.

IMG_4306.jpg
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used one of those building my garage addition. Powerful little guy. Better than my normally fine Ryobi!
    ydarg likes this.
  14. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowes doesn't sell the Atomic, it's a HomeDepot exclusive (at least last I knew). HomeDepot got the Atomic and Lowes got the 12v Xtreme. My issue with the Atomic is mostly with the impact. It's not that compact compared to the regular 20v. Doesn't have speed controls (even the 12v Xtreme does). Honestly it felt like a money grab. I'd get the 12v Xtreme and I did. I really liked it but returned it for the Milwaukee M12 Fuel (wanted the versatility in tools and power).
  15. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Same here, i still have some corded stuff like table saw, mitre etc but these days things like my circular saw and sawz all stay in the cases since the cordless ones i own now are just as good.

The 60v Dewalt stuff I own is just awesome in my opinion.

The only other things i still feel i need a cord for are sanders and grinders. For those uses batteries just don't last long enough. I do own a cordless grinder and also a palm sander and they are great for quick things but anything over like 15 min use i want a cord.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I did mean the 'Depot talking about the Atomic drill, sorry for the confusion. Had Lowe's on the brain because I bought the impact driver there.

So the only real issue is/was the size and the fact that it doesn't have the 3 speeds like the 12V Max and Xtreme do? Good to know. That impact driver was my first black and yellow tool, and I'm super impressed so at this point I think I'm gonna check out the Atomic and the Xtreme drills.
  17. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really liked the Xtreme drill. Made a thread when I picked the kit up and very few knew about them. lol. Wish I could have kept the drill but it didn't make sense to have 2 12v ecosystems.
    ydarg likes this.
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had exclusively the Milwaukee m18 stuff so far. Is the 12v stuff just as good? Specifically the 12v drill with all the cool attachments, offsets, angles, and stuff. I could have used that on my last project. Also the dremel tool. I really need a new dremel, and I’m considering a wall-mounted unit this time. But if the Milwaukee is good and powerful and resistant to burning up (or has a good warranty) I would consider it too.

Charles.
  19. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    For 90% of homeowner type stuff, the M12 is just as good. Nearly my entire Milwaukee kit is M12, and I've never longed for more power.
  20. Ge-Mini-gun

Ge-Mini-gun Long timer

Oddometer:
    When we remodeled our house, about ¾ of it anyway, I started with a set of Craftsman 19v drills and 4 batteries…one of the drills and one battery didn’t make it through the master bath. At the time Lowes had a sale on a Dewalt drill/driver combo that I purchased, couple weekends later the other Craftsman went tits up, so back to Lowes for a driver. Long story short I’ve been really happy with them and I’ve abused the crap out of them…hung drywall, mixed drywall mud, mortar, grout, drilled holes and Lord knows what else. Like the OP I’m a DIY’er and not pro…I just wanted something that would last. I’ve since gotten an oscillating sander/cutting tool and 6-1/2” circular saw, keep wanting to get the reciprocating saw but I have Milwaukee corded beast of a saw that I’ll probably never get rid of, so…
    ydarg likes this.