Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, kinda like Snap On is crazy expensive but for my job and the discounts I get make it worthwhile...as I'm typing this on a $850 phone.:fpalm

I've got the Milwaukee 7 1/4" saw and once I ditched the pos blade it came with I'm very impressed with it and it ripped thru 5/8" boards like nothing. The biggest thing with cordless is the batteries, the prices are pretty crazy to the point you can buy a decent corded tool for what the bigger batteries cost. I've got 3 9.0amp batteries 6 5.0 and a couple 2.0 so now I shop best bare tool prices unless they are running a deal that throws in the batteries.

So Home Depot not sure if all the brands get this but when they are running their sales you can buy a tool that gets a free battery and return the battery to get even more discount on the tool.
  2. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Butters likes this.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    The battery looked pretty sketchy to me too!
    Thanks!
  4. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ryobi is a good home use brand as their price to quality is one of the best, if anything see what a bigger battery would cost to add.

I'd look at what combo kits are on sale as usually get a little bigger battery and some useful other tools. This kit is 3 times more but you are also getting a lot more tools.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...h-2-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-P1819/309659455
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Follow-up on my cordless tool fireproof box temperature concerns. I ran a test yesterday with my biggest Ego 56-volt battery. I ran it down to zero and put it on charge in the box. I regularly checked the temp of the battery, charger and box with an infrared thermometer. That charger as an internal fan, so they were concerned with dissipating heat. I saw nothing significant - no hot battery, no hot charger, no warming of the box enclosure to speak of. I am crossing this worry-bead off my list.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting closer to my off grid cabin build start as I've been prepping the build site. I have a generator to run a corded circular saw but like the convenience and utility of my Dewallt cordless tools.

Thinking of a Dewalt cordless circular saw for 1 & 2x lumber vs. generator powered saw I already own & cords??? When I move inside the bldg I'll probably keep a miter saw up there on generator so limited use for a corded saw in a log building built mostly with a chainsaw outside, except for wall openings and floor system.

On another cordless tool topic, I recently bought a new return item on Amazon I've been watching for- a cordless pole saw, B&D specifically because not many brands to choose from plus my wife's girly string trimmer has a bunch of batteries she switches out.
    I'll be cruising the edges of our pastures in the back of a Mule, limbing the trees that hang out and nearly decapitate you on a tractor! It appears to be very well built but does require manual oiling from an old time hand held oil can on the chain.
    jb882 likes this.
  7. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Awesome on the cabin, hopefully you get it all built up soon.

I cannot recommend the 60v Dewalt saw enough. it is a little heavy but a very useful and impressive tool. As i have mentioned before mine pretty much replaced my corded one.

Funny that the pole saw does not have automatic oiling. I own the Lynx one that Harbor Freight sells and even that one has auto oiling. Not sure what Wack n Pecker was thinking on that one.....
    kantuckid likes this.
  8. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had Makita, Dewalt, Sears and now Milwaukee, both M12 and M18. So far have been pleased - the impact wrench is impressive and I didn't get the biggest one. Black Friday last year I was cruising the local pawn shop and picked up a like new M18 weed eater and blower for half off, which I didn't really need but it came with a 6AH battery, which are expensive. So I got a charger, trimmer and blower for free, when I bought the battery for $99.

I will end up selling my Stihl blower and trimmer at my cabin and using the cordless. Pains me to do so but the technology has improved so much it's not worth fighting anymore.
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    B&D may have been into "keep it simple stupid designs"? Honestly it's a decent looking tool in the right hands. Reviews are often by people who don't work in the woods much as do I... I had a singular purpose in mind for the pole saw. It has three sections, fiberglass pole/tubing and seems OK other than the oiler thing. I'll squirt, saw a limb, move, squirt, saw a limb with wife driving the Mule around field edges.
    I'm pretty tight to spring for that 60v saw. May just stick to generator as it's gonna be there all the time to build anyway.
    My "other issue" is my hands are simply said worn out. Once you get CTS release your hand strengths never what it once was plus aging and arthritis, on and on...I actually found and bought the lightest circular saw on the market a few years back to replace a perfectly good Milwaukee high end circle saw thats on the heavy side-all based on light weight and happens to be a Dewalt corded.
    Did the same trick on my main chain saw going for a pricey but high powered, lightweight Stihl and sold my old seriously good chainsaw. I bought a near new Stihl lightweight DIY type of saw just to cut dovetail log joints w/o the weight. Getting olds not fun but glad to say I can still run tools...:lol2
  10. Old_Fat_and_Slow

Old_Fat_and_Slow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ryobi serves my purposes fine. The only tools that are a bit lacking are the circular saws, but I've got corded/gas/pneumatic backups for all of these in case the cordless don't get the job done.

Attached Files:

OldBarKeep and 1greenmachine like this.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, and I thought I had a lot of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Got off the fence and picked up a Dewalt 20V drill and circular saw today. Two batteries and a charger. Charged one battery in an hour and made sure everything worked. They did.
    Time will tell for how long.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  13. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are a good typical homeowner brand that will serve people quite well, now if you're going to be using them everyday or big projects then maybe the it's worth buying the more expensive brand's.

My Grandpa was a Milwaukee guy while I was growing up and so when I bought into a brand that's what I went with thou definitely not the same company he was buying from.:(
  14. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use DeWalt cordless everyday. I trust the the brand so much that I bought the chainsaw and leaf blower. I have been using the brand for 20 yrs now and I have never been disappointed. On a side note Ridgid is absolute junk. I managed to burn up a brand new driver built solely for screwing while driving screws in a matter of minutes. Thank goodness It wasn't mine. Lol
  15. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wasn't so sold on DeWalt I would go with Ryobi. I think that their products are as good as everyone else's for less money.
    Texas Aggie and Old_Lion like this.
  16. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Tangent question I was wondering today... I'm constantly traveling between 110 and 220Volt countries. All my other electronics such as lap top, phone chargers etc. can run fine on either.
    I can't find any cordless tools that have a battery charger that can run on both. FWIW presently I've got mostly Makita Lithium and Bosche...
  17. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Little FYI if looking to buy any tools now is a good time as the box stores are throwing out fathers day deals.
    local1 likes this.
  18. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's EXACTLY what I'm doing at the moment. Got some red boxes coming from the 'Po.

[Btw, picked up an M12 3" cut-off wheel kit and Hackzall kit for less than 1/2 price recently. Brandy new, never opened. Had me figuring they fell of the back of a truck or something but I was wrong. The seller, a contractor, submitted one of those chance-to-win cards included with new items and ending up winning. Milwaukee sent a bunch of stuff to his door, most of which he already had. Just wanted to give you guys hope. :thumb]
    phreakingeek likes this.
  19. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I enter those all the time....not even a hat.

Went this morning and almost bought a couple things but trying to save money so I didnt. The 2 3amp m18 batteries for $100 is making me want to snap a couple.
  20. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fastenal has clearance tools listed on their website. Some decent deals come through from time to time.