Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not just yet Mr.Bob,Makita,Hilti,Bosch ,Fien still independent
  2. muddywater

muddywater Untermenschen

Oddometer:
    TTI-Consumer-Logos-Imperial.jpg

TTI has the above brands, a global conglomerate based out of Hong Kong.

The marriage of the different brands however is far from equal...makes ones head spin.
  3. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really think it comes down to personal preference, all my hand held power tools I've bought in the last few years have been M18 cordless. I did buy a sander that is plug in as I couldnt justify the extra money for cordless and just didnt feel balanced compared to what I got.

The stuff I'm really not sold on is the cordless miter and table saws, first is the price is so much more and just dont think they can bring the power that corded have.
    local1 and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I don’t own one but I have used the DEWALT cordless mitre that a friend owns. It’s the 12” flex volt unit that uses 2 60v batteries. It runs off cord or cordless and it’s every bit at strong at my older plug in 12” saw and the batteries last a lot longer than I expected they would. He loves it because of the flexibility it gives him on the job site. There are times he does not have easy access to power and it enables him to still be able to work. He loves it for places like small camps that are on islands and such and new homes that have no power run yet. it enables him to carry a lot smaller generator since he only needs to charge batteries instead of running 15amp tools. These days he only brings a small 2000w Honda that is whisper quiet and sips fuel. He likes the saw so much his old plug in only one got sold off. He owns the table saw too but I have never used that.

He also owns the 7 1/4” 20v which he uses a lot for finish work.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's where Dewalt is so much better than milwaukee as they have the dual power setup thou that setup adds a lot to the price tag to and more than I can justify.

For me as I have all Milwaukee stuff just the 12" bare tool saw is like $700 and no stand, I bought this for $450 on black friday
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/dewalt%20compound%20miter%20saw?searchtype=suggest&NCNI-5
  6. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
  7. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Same here, way too much $$ for my uses. For my buddy who takes on a lot of jobs at remote sites with no power its worth it 100%.

I do own a couple 60v items, a 7 1/4 circ saw and recip saw. When i bought the circ saw i was looking at the 20v one to replace my old dead 18v 6 1/2" and the 60v was on sale for the same money with 2 batteries on Amazon. I got it and have not taken my plug in Dewalt circ saw out of the case since. Its literally been two years since the last time i used it. The 60v one is that good, its every bit as strong at the plug in one. Battery is impressive too, i did a deck with it when i first got it and cut 40 2x12 pt joists, all the posts and trimmed the decking on one charge.
    local1 likes this.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, kinda like Snap On is crazy expensive but for my job and the discounts I get make it worthwhile...as I'm typing this on a $850 phone.:fpalm

I've got the Milwaukee 7 1/4" saw and once I ditched the pos blade it came with I'm very impressed with it and it ripped thru 5/8" boards like nothing. The biggest thing with cordless is the batteries, the prices are pretty crazy to the point you can buy a decent corded tool for what the bigger batteries cost. I've got 3 9.0amp batteries 6 5.0 and a couple 2.0 so now I shop best bare tool prices unless they are running a deal that throws in the batteries.

So Home Depot not sure if all the brands get this but when they are running their sales you can buy a tool that gets a free battery and return the battery to get even more discount on the tool.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Butters likes this.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    The battery looked pretty sketchy to me too!
    Thanks!
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ryobi is a good home use brand as their price to quality is one of the best, if anything see what a bigger battery would cost to add.

I'd look at what combo kits are on sale as usually get a little bigger battery and some useful other tools. This kit is 3 times more but you are also getting a lot more tools.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...h-2-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-P1819/309659455
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Follow-up on my cordless tool fireproof box temperature concerns. I ran a test yesterday with my biggest Ego 56-volt battery. I ran it down to zero and put it on charge in the box. I regularly checked the temp of the battery, charger and box with an infrared thermometer. That charger as an internal fan, so they were concerned with dissipating heat. I saw nothing significant - no hot battery, no hot charger, no warming of the box enclosure to speak of. I am crossing this worry-bead off my list.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting closer to my off grid cabin build start as I've been prepping the build site. I have a generator to run a corded circular saw but like the convenience and utility of my Dewallt cordless tools.

Thinking of a Dewalt cordless circular saw for 1 & 2x lumber vs. generator powered saw I already own & cords??? When I move inside the bldg I'll probably keep a miter saw up there on generator so limited use for a corded saw in a log building built mostly with a chainsaw outside, except for wall openings and floor system.

On another cordless tool topic, I recently bought a new return item on Amazon I've been watching for- a cordless pole saw, B&D specifically because not many brands to choose from plus my wife's girly string trimmer has a bunch of batteries she switches out.
    I'll be cruising the edges of our pastures in the back of a Mule, limbing the trees that hang out and nearly decapitate you on a tractor! It appears to be very well built but does require manual oiling from an old time hand held oil can on the chain.
    jb882 likes this.
  14. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Awesome on the cabin, hopefully you get it all built up soon.

I cannot recommend the 60v Dewalt saw enough. it is a little heavy but a very useful and impressive tool. As i have mentioned before mine pretty much replaced my corded one.

Funny that the pole saw does not have automatic oiling. I own the Lynx one that Harbor Freight sells and even that one has auto oiling. Not sure what Wack n Pecker was thinking on that one.....
    kantuckid likes this.
  15. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had Makita, Dewalt, Sears and now Milwaukee, both M12 and M18. So far have been pleased - the impact wrench is impressive and I didn't get the biggest one. Black Friday last year I was cruising the local pawn shop and picked up a like new M18 weed eater and blower for half off, which I didn't really need but it came with a 6AH battery, which are expensive. So I got a charger, trimmer and blower for free, when I bought the battery for $99.

I will end up selling my Stihl blower and trimmer at my cabin and using the cordless. Pains me to do so but the technology has improved so much it's not worth fighting anymore.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    B&D may have been into "keep it simple stupid designs"? Honestly it's a decent looking tool in the right hands. Reviews are often by people who don't work in the woods much as do I... I had a singular purpose in mind for the pole saw. It has three sections, fiberglass pole/tubing and seems OK other than the oiler thing. I'll squirt, saw a limb, move, squirt, saw a limb with wife driving the Mule around field edges.
    I'm pretty tight to spring for that 60v saw. May just stick to generator as it's gonna be there all the time to build anyway.
    My "other issue" is my hands are simply said worn out. Once you get CTS release your hand strengths never what it once was plus aging and arthritis, on and on...I actually found and bought the lightest circular saw on the market a few years back to replace a perfectly good Milwaukee high end circle saw thats on the heavy side-all based on light weight and happens to be a Dewalt corded.
    Did the same trick on my main chain saw going for a pricey but high powered, lightweight Stihl and sold my old seriously good chainsaw. I bought a near new Stihl lightweight DIY type of saw just to cut dovetail log joints w/o the weight. Getting olds not fun but glad to say I can still run tools...:lol2
  17. Old_Fat_and_Slow

Old_Fat_and_Slow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ryobi serves my purposes fine. The only tools that are a bit lacking are the circular saws, but I've got corded/gas/pneumatic backups for all of these in case the cordless don't get the job done.

Attached Files:

OldBarKeep and 1greenmachine like this.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, and I thought I had a lot of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Got off the fence and picked up a Dewalt 20V drill and circular saw today. Two batteries and a charger. Charged one battery in an hour and made sure everything worked. They did.
    Time will tell for how long.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  20. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are a good typical homeowner brand that will serve people quite well, now if you're going to be using them everyday or big projects then maybe the it's worth buying the more expensive brand's.

My Grandpa was a Milwaukee guy while I was growing up and so when I bought into a brand that's what I went with thou definitely not the same company he was buying from.:(