Cordless Tool Decisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Celtic Curmudgeon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use DeWalt cordless everyday. I trust the the brand so much that I bought the chainsaw and leaf blower. I have been using the brand for 20 yrs now and I have never been disappointed. On a side note Ridgid is absolute junk. I managed to burn up a brand new driver built solely for screwing while driving screws in a matter of minutes. Thank goodness It wasn't mine. Lol
  2. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wasn't so sold on DeWalt I would go with Ryobi. I think that their products are as good as everyone else's for less money.
    Texas Aggie and Old_Lion like this.
  3. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Tangent question I was wondering today... I'm constantly traveling between 110 and 220Volt countries. All my other electronics such as lap top, phone chargers etc. can run fine on either.
    I can't find any cordless tools that have a battery charger that can run on both. FWIW presently I've got mostly Makita Lithium and Bosche...
  4. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI there is now a Rigid 18v Sub compact line. A lot of the tool Youtubers have been posting up reviews. The impact appears to actually be smaller than the M18 Fuel Gen 3. Pretty nice. Doesn't look like you can use the octane batteries though?
  5. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old_Lion likes this.
  6. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Little FYI if looking to buy any tools now is a good time as the box stores are throwing out fathers day deals.
    local1 likes this.
  7. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's EXACTLY what I'm doing at the moment. Got some red boxes coming from the 'Po.

[Btw, picked up an M12 3" cut-off wheel kit and Hackzall kit for less than 1/2 price recently. Brandy new, never opened. Had me figuring they fell of the back of a truck or something but I was wrong. The seller, a contractor, submitted one of those chance-to-win cards included with new items and ending up winning. Milwaukee sent a bunch of stuff to his door, most of which he already had. Just wanted to give you guys hope. :thumb]
    phreakingeek likes this.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I enter those all the time....not even a hat.

Went this morning and almost bought a couple things but trying to save money so I didnt. The 2 3amp m18 batteries for $100 is making me want to snap a couple.
  9. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fastenal has clearance tools listed on their website. Some decent deals come through from time to time.
  10. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I'm retired now but was a contractor at my last gig. Dewalt and Milwaukee rules the roost. Lots of show and tell on the contractor forums. Contractors are tool junkies. I've had very good luck with Milwaukee after switching to them many years ago. Haven't had a tool or battery go south yet. One major issue is the battery platform. Having compatible chargers and batteries is a big deal.
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing Dewalt is better at is a single battery platform, Milwaukee kinda double dips with the M12/M18 platforms. I've stuck to the M18 platform and really want to get the mid torque 3/8 impact but it is huge.
  12. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I guess the M12s are for smaller projects. I don't have any but if Dewalt offered smaller tools they would need smaller batteries. I think if I ever get a impact it would be 1/2". Maybe corded since I'd seldom use it.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  13. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI - don't worry about the batteries, they make battery adapter kits, so your Dewalt will go into a Makita and into a Milwaukee, etc...

The only ones I haven't seen are to take the old C3 batteries to new tools, but that would be crazy bulky.
  14. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Show me dewalt going into Milwaukee ?
  15. tbarstow

Oddometer:

houlster and YesRush like this.
  16. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow can’t believe I never seen that vid.I’ve only heard of dewalt 18 adaptor to 20 bat.
    Good find! 15 bucks for a knock off :) for dewalt.18-20
  17. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I just don't see the point. You'd still need the chargers, unless you want to rely on one brand charging everything effectively. And they both make excellent tools so why bother? I could maybe see it for a work crew who had the two different brands and you want to keep them up and running.
  18. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Charge it through the adapter, but if you're buying the tool with a battery, they usually come with a charger.

I think it is more for one brand comes out with a tool that the others don't have and you need/want it, but don't want multiple batteries. I can also see these being handy when one tool in a set dies and you need to replace the tool not the set, or the replacement tool from the same manufacturer has changed battery styles.

For example, I use the impact driver in my Craftsman 19.2 set more than anything else in the set. It takes the old C3 batteries. The new ones use XCP batteries, so even if I stay with the same manufacturer, I have one odd battery that won't fit the other tools. As the old batteries die off, now I need to try to buy the old C3's versus buying an adaptor that allows me to keep using the new battery in the older tools.
  19. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I can use and charge the old style Milwaukee batteries (about 12 years old) in my newer brushless torque driver and visa versa. I didn't think that was going to be the case. I don't know about Dewalt but Milwaukee sells many tools without the batteries. I guess time will tell how big the demand for the adapters are.
  20. OldFakir

OldFakir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dewalt for decades. My trailer has solar panels to batteries to DeWalt battery chargers. Love the DeWalt weed whackers, chainsaw, chop saw, brad nailer, and of course the various hand tools. I buy quality and keep it forever, or at least until a new battery system comes out. My trucks have 12 v DeWalt battery chargers in the glove compartment. If only DeWalt made electric dirt bikes...

Mixed brands in the shop is a pain in the ass. Pick a quality brand with a range that covers what you need and start shopping.