Cordless Tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tinker1980, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    This is my brush with Sunk Cost fallacy as it pertains to power tools.

I have a Porter-Cable impact driver and drill set, along with a Porter Cable reciprocating saw, 20v cordless. Bought it in 2016 or thereabouts, and got the saw for my birthday last year. The impact stopped working late last year, I bought the brushless version that was on sale. It came with two batteries, so now I have four PC batteries. Last week the magic smoke got out of the drill.

I use these tools a lot. I use the impact driver to do setups on my machine at work, and to do appliance repairs on my own. The drill gets used a lot at work too. When it started getting hot in the handle, and stopped working, I considered buying another PC drill since I had batteries already...

But I didn't want to buy another one a year from now. I wanted to buy one and have it still working a year or two from now. I looked at alternatives, narrowed it down to Makita or DeWalt. Makita was cheaper, but upon seeing the tools in person, it was obvious why they were cheaper - gone are the blue tools I'm used to, replaced with these effete little solid black tools which are lighter, but they just felt flimsy. So I gritted my teeth, kicked the wall in rage, and spent the money on the DeFault - er - DeWalt impact and drill kit, that's DCK283D2, which includes DCF887 (1/4" impact) and DCD791 (1/2" drill) along with two 2.0 AH batteries, a charger, and a soft tool bag.

These things are leaps and bounds above the Porter Cable stuff. When using the PC impact or drill you could feel the injection-molded halves squirming around under your hand. On the other hand, these ugly yellow things feel like you could hammer a nail with them. The PC drill did have a nice metal chuck, with a sprag clutch that kept it from turning so it could be tightened, but it's nowhere near as nice as the chuck (also metal) on the Dewalt, which spins freely and smoothly when tightening or loosening it. It also stops and won't turn so you can tighten it on a bit.

Other than the chuck, I can't say much one way or the other about the drill. It drills holes and does a quick job of it. You can spin it very slowly to get a screw started if you want.

The impact is considerably more powerful than my brushless PC impact. Supposed to output 1825 inch pounds. It will back the lug nuts off my truck and it's not supposed to do that. It will also snap off a 3/8" adapter if you're stupid enough to try unscrewing something too big for the tool. It also has a couple of lower settings, one is 1500 inch pounds, and there is a 250 inch pound setting that will screw a screw in, until it bottoms out, then it will stop. It won't let you go too far, just completely turns the motor off.

One of the reasons I went with the ugly yellow tools is the local Dewalt repair shop. They're awesome. I bought a Dewalt 40v weedeater, which was great. The battery stopped holding a charge, I went to see if it could be fixed. They tested the battery, said it was bad, and gave me a new one for free. It was apparently still under warranty. Sure enough, my new tools have a three year warranty.
  2. BearWoods

BearWoods Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a dewalt 80 gallon compressor, dewalt tool box set, dewalt 5 piece battery tool kit (not brushless) and a few other dewalt tools. I didn't favor any specific brand at first, but after I had a few and got them at crazy low prices on sale, or with big coupons.. I just kept on going. I wasn't sold on the color yellow at first, but honestly they are all easy to find when you set them down because they stand out. I've never broken anything I own made by dewalt.

In fact, have an uncle who is a retired custom home builder. He gave me his set of pneumatic nailers. 30 years old by now.. put new seal kits in them and they work like a charm.

I'm glad to hear you have a liking for their tools as well now, they really do the working man justice.. they work when you need them and the company warranties everything.
    kojack06, spokester and Tinker1980 like this.
  3. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible...I remember when Porter Cable was considered top of the line. Had one of their air nailers once upon a time...
    local1 and Tinker1980 like this.
  4. Tinker1980

Oddometer:
    That's originally why I bought them... they were reasonably priced, and hey, Porter-Cable!

The brushed impact driver and drill basically have RC car motors in them. They'd probably work fine for someone who is installing cabinets or decking, but they won't take a sustained year of daily beatings.

I've seen dewalt stuff in just about every shop I've worked in various states of abuse. They all work.
    local1 and spokester like this.
  5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious GO SHOCKS!

Oddometer:
    Dewalt and Porter Cable are both owned by Stanley Black and Decker these days. PC isn’t terrible, but isn’t the premium brand they once were when they were their own company.

B&D is the “economy consumer” line for SBD.

PC is the “premium consumer”.

Dewalt is the “professional”.

You might look to see if you can mod your 20v PC batteries to fit your new Dewalt stuff. Apparently it could be a possibility, from what I’ve seen.
  6. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went Milwaukie myself.
  7. Tom D

Tom D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    funny thing is..... dewalt hand tools was a re- branding of the B&D commercial grade, black color tools that came out in the 60's/70's. nobody would buy them because B&D was known for being total crap. so B&D bought dewalt, dropped the only tool that dewalt made, the wonderful radial arm saw, painted their black tools dewalt yellow and sold them as dewalt's new line of professional hand tools. this is the reason i don't own any dewalt tools other then my 1952 dewalt 9" radial arm saw, because i remember when dewalt was great and B&D was garbage.
  8. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my 20v DeWalt brushless drill and driver for about 4 years, they don't get everyday use, but I do use them a lot, and overall I've been very pleased.
    Yes, it is a shame that PC became a price-point, and a sub-par one at that.
    local1 and Tinker1980 like this.
  9. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious GO SHOCKS!

Oddometer:
    Still basically true.

I bought a drill/driver combo of the red stuff last fall, when it was time to invest in a new “battery platform” as they say, but red didn’t win out over yellow by much for me. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, up and down their respective lines.

Someday when my ship comes in I’m going over to the Festool dealer and just plopping down a wad of cash for one of everything. Festool makes Milwaukee and Dewalt seem pedestrian.

BTW should have mentioned earlier that the black Makita stuff is their “sub-compact” line. It is cheaper and more lightweight in build. Makita still makes the professional teal colored stuff, that’s for sure.
    St_rydr and Mark38 like this.
  10. Tinker1980

Oddometer:
    The contacts are quite a bit different... You can modify a B&D battery to fit a PC charger or tool, and vice versa, but the dewalt tools have many more contacts and they're in the wrong place. I'll likely keep the almost-new PC brushless impact, since it still works well... my wife sometimes needs an electric screwdriver, and it will fill that niche no problem.
  11. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    It sounds like OP should be buying the extended warranty.
  12. CAFFO

CAFFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have dewalt makita milwakee and ryobi.
    1. ryobi-cheap long-lasting and wont be stolen on job-sites
    2. Makita- all around superior in every way.
    3. Milwakee- only got m12 stuff here. well made and versatile. Made in china just like all the others.
    4. Dewalt- Some problems with bearing and gears wearing out over the years. Old type batteries were heavy and not particularly long-lasting. Way more susceptible to break when dropped, Ryobi best in this department.
  13. zeerx

zeerx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought one of these. Using it only for mc tires. It beats dragging out the plugin. It would take a while to pump up a car tire. Made ok, very light. We’ll see how it lasts long term.

3DF0F68E-9CC6-4720-9F5B-DF24ADFD34ED.jpeg
    Tinker1980 likes this.
  14. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee M12 user here. Well suited for my garage.

I did use a Hilti once, for a masonry job. Gott im Himmel, what a brand!
  15. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    I use mostly tools that were sided on the Axis Powers during WWII: Makita and Bosch.
    John Smallberries likes this.
  16. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    Kept this when I had to close my father's wood shop. I do metal, not wood so I got rid of a lot but kept this. There were other PC tools like routers and nailers; all US made. I think he had to shelf a couple tools because they didn't make replacement parts for them anymore. Yeah, that was the time when PC was one of "the brands" to have in a full time shop.

I also kept his panel saw that uses a Milwaukee circular saw. Yup, saw was from a time when it was made in the US. Saw still runs like a champ.

Attached Files:

17. Tinker1980

Oddometer:
    The extended warranty was for two years... The tools came with three year warranty and a year of free service from DeWalt, so the extended warranty would have been a waste.
  18. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I own a decent amount of dewalt cordless stuff and I’m happy with it. They get a lot of use too. The reason I went dewalt is a friend of mine who is a professional carpenter recommended them and it’s all he has used for a long time. I figure if they are durable enough for a guy who depends on his tools for a living they will be fine for my use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tinker1980 likes this.
  19. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recently I read a comparison of about 5 impact drivers. Porter Cable came in last and was termed unsuitable for commercial use. Now they tell me. I've been using the hell out of my PC driver in my handyman business for about 5 years with no problems. Last week I was driving a bunch of 5/16" x 6" bolts through a treated 2" x 8" using the socket attachment. The driver just keeps on banging along.
    Tinker1980 likes this.
  20. Tinker1980

Oddometer:
    I suspect what killed my original brushed PC impact driver was it's environment - I used it to set up a machine that makes steel dust/iron oxide dust as a byproduct. This gets sucked into the permanent magnet motor, and in my case made it harder to turn... which burned out the switch. My still-functional brushless impact has a different sort of motor setup... you can take it apart and pull the armature out, and clean the magnets.