1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Corona stuck in Norway...worlds most beautiful country

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by pingvin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arguably of course, but hope pics here (all mobile phone) will convince some. This will be a mix of bike and non-bike trips, hope that's OK and that in correct sub-forum.

So March 13. Norway closed down, home office and all that. Even forbidden to go to your own cabin unless in home municipality. Which I happen to have so was almost all alone in the mountains, feel sad for all those that had to stay home but so greatful we had the opportunity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next post is first bike trip :-)
  2. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning. Hope to travel there next year when this virus is behind us.
    pingvin likes this.
  3. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you say World's most Expensive?
    Norway is high on my list of places to visit.
    pingvin likes this.
  4. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quality cost :-) Sigarettes, alcohol, cars (motorcycles not as bad now) and traffic fines are very high, other stuff isn't that bad.

Living in Norway, you can't let snow stop you, 8mm enduro studs on my KTM450 make riding possible, this is heaven

[​IMG]

Then first trip on tarmac 7. April:

[​IMG]

Just when I thought winter was all over, we had som fresh snow higher up. So 13. May I skied for the last time this winter. Had to carry skies a few meters in a couple of places but soon it was all snow as started climbing :D

[​IMG]

Always try to get a early trip over the mountain Gaustatoppen early in the spring, it's really pretty with snow on the top and green lower down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, done warming up, next post is my first multi-day motorcycle trip of 2020 :happay
  5. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a motorcycle club at our company, and main event is our yearly long trip, sometimes abroad (Alps, Pyrenees...) but normally in Norway and certainly this year. Eastern part og Norway is not bad but West-Norway is really pretty with mountains and fjords, especially early in the year with snow in the mountains. 4 day trip starting end May but all pics from day 2 and 3 from Western Norway.

The Sognefjell (fjell=mountain) was really nice with hign snow banks and beautiful weather:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then down to what I thought was a fjord but later found out was a lake, pretty anyway:

[​IMG]

And out to the coastal town Florø in magnificant weather (this area is known for tough climate with rain and wind so not always like this). Note that pic is taken 11pm, long days in summer here in Norway.

[​IMG]

Just a pretty small fjord:

[​IMG]

Start grid ready after crossing the Sognefjord (second longest fjord in the world, longest is in Greenland):

[​IMG]

Then crossing the Vikafjell mountain:

[​IMG]
  6. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, my last skiing trip was 13. May. But when riding across the Sognefjell, hundreds of people where doing randonee where you install skins on the skies so you can walk straight up steeps hills, take the skins off when you are at the top, lock the heel and you ski down. Wanted to try this so 2 weeks later 11. June, I was back with my wife and a guide (not just to show the way but for safety as crossing glaciers and risk of avalanches) and rented skies. This was the last night with below freezing at night so good conditions and no other people. So warm just wore a thin shirt all day, blue sky and no wind so a very special experience.

Town of Lom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glacier edge bottom left:

[​IMG]

At 2000m altitude:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skiing back down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next post is our 350k 9 day motorcycle trip to Northern Norway
  7. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're only 5 million people in Norway but our west coast is longer than the US west coast. Been planning to ride north for many years and due to Covid-closed borders we finally did. Discussed going to North Cape but that would add maybe 5 days to the trip so decided to go to the Lofoten Islands, still a good ride, rode 3500k (2200 miles) up and down. First (long) stretch to Trondheim on mostly good motorcycle roads but the trip really started the next day following the coast north to Brønnøysund (second pic from Brønnøysund at midnight):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next day we took the mainroad over Saltfjellet (Salt Mountain), which was actually pretty nice, to Bodø where we stayed, and next morning took the ferry to Lofoten islands. Always thought of it as just a row of islands but approaching by boat you realize it's actually a mountain range in the sea with water filling the valleys. And what a place, chose not to exepct to much but no need to worry, one of the most beautiful places ever been. And this was in June which is before Norwegians take vacation and no foreigners so we had this more or less all to ourselves, no traffic, no ques, really a once in a lifetime possibilty due to Covid19.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spoiler alert: More pics from Lofoten later as back with wife for sightseeing and hiking.

Then back down along the coast the section we skipped on the way up to Mo i Rana, lot of ferries but that's more like mini-cruises with that scenery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Mo i Rana we left the coast and road further east closer to Sweden but some really beautiful roads and mountains:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last day but there are some really nice mountains also in east Norway like Rondane:

[​IMG]

What a trip with nice weather, almost empty roads and that scenery, so glad finally got to do it. My mobile pics and lack of photograph talent of course doesn't do the secenery justice but hope you still enjoy it.
  8. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then a couple of weeks later, my wife and I flew up to Lofoten as she wanted to see the place as well and I got the chance walking up to a few mountain tops with specatular view as reward. Now in July it's usually very crowded and despite roumors everyone in Norway was going there, the traffic both on the road and trails were light, again a once in a lifetime opportunity. We arrived 19. July and Norway opened to some new countries (already open to Finland and Denmark at the time) so the first Germans campers arrived while we were there.

Reienbringen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryten:

[​IMG]

Tjeldbergtinden:

[​IMG]

And couple of pics from beaches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is after all an adventure forum so had 2 multiday trips on gravel roads to cover most of Norwegian TET (European version of TAT for those that doesn't know transeurotrail.org). This is more in the north-east of South Norway (if that makes sense), an area I thought was a bit boring but that turned out to have some really nice scenery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much dirt can you ride in Norway?
  11. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends very much where you live. In some areas not very much, around where I live, quite a lot, in the area with the pics in my post above, lots and lots. Also other areas with plenty gravel roads.

Be aware that riding outside roads on trails is highly illegal in Norway and will cost you thousands of dollars if you get caught. Main rule is that if you can't drive a normal family car on the road, it's illegal going there with any motorized vehicle. You can stretch it a bit as long as dual track so if a 4x4 can go there you'll probably get away with it, but any single trail and it's no-no.
  12. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there maps of the available forest and mountain trails? I am thinking of maps comparable to our forest service maps.
  13. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m really enjoying your pictures, I rode Norway a couple of summers ago and loved it. You live in a very beautiful country, most expensive trip I’ve done, haha, but worth it.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Yes, awesome pics. Thank you for taking us along.
  15. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, on https://vegkart.atlas.vegvesen.no/ there are filters and stuff...but to be honest, a bit detailed and I tried now but didn't succeed :( Think most people do like I use a mix of basecamp, norgeskart.no, kart.finn.no, google maps and others. Google maps used to be convenient since all tarmac was on street view but no gravel roads, so anything not blue was gravel roads. But now they've started doing gravel roads on street view as well so doesn't work that well any more. Except you can actually click and get a picture showing you the road of course. Will check around, maybe more alternatives.

I save all the transport expenses as trips starts outside my house so don't turn out to bad for me:beer BUT Norwegian crowns are very low now due to low oil price so actually less expensive travelling to Norway at the moment (ignoring the fact most foreigners can't enter right now). Need that vaccine NOW so the world needs oil again, we just sacked 400 people last week (working in oil). Luckily Norway have a 1.000 billion dollar oil fund so we'll survive for a while...
  16. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, a last pic of maybe the most spectacular view all year from the infamous Trolltunga (Trolls tongue) looking 700m (2300ft) straight down :yikes

[​IMG]
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. I can see why you consider Norway to be the most beautiful country.
  18. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Great pics, brings back good memories, loved Norway!
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing your country with us.
  20. ilten

ilten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, beautiful pictures. I have been to Vikingtreffet (4x4 event) a few times. It's time I visit Norway in the summer!
    A good friend of mine just hiked Trolltunga 2 days ago!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Kovac77 and Astronaut Jones like this.