Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all the delays of the past couple of days, we were both getting a bit discouraged by our lack of progress and apprehensive about what might happen next. Our big goal has always been to get further south where it gets warm, but we just haven’t been able to make the miles we’d expected. We’d planned to be much further along, but we made a big push today - from Aberdeen, MD to Burlington, NC - 384 miles.

Today’s big note was cold. It was 17 degrees when we started loading up the bikes, and they were covered in frost.

[​IMG]
    Frosty Morning

Horse didn’t want to start - took a little extra throttle - and both bikes were a bit demanding until they warmed up. We felt the same way. We ran into traffic fairly steadily from just north of Baltimore until we got south of Washington, D.C., so it took us 2.5 hours to get south of D.C. By then, I really needed a bathroom break and decided it would make the most sense to combine with lunch to avoid excessive down time.

We got off I-95 at Woodbridge, and when we spotted a Denny’s, we both jumped on it. Kay ordered 6 eggs sunny side up, bacon, toast and hot tea, and I contented myself with an American slam and coffee.

Neither of us felt particularly hungry when we stopped, but as soon as we went inside, we started shivering. We didn’t realize how cold we were until we got off the bikes and went into a warm building. We lingered over lunch with warm drinks for nearly an hour, until we got our core body temperatures up.

The break made a huge difference. It’s always nice to get off the bike and stretch every few hours, but warming up made a dramatic difference in the cold. We both felt warmer after lunch, and we were downright cheerful and energetic when we hit the road and it turned out the outside temperature had warmed up, too. We felt like we could keep going all day at that point, and we had a very pleasant couple of hours. We celebrated when Kay’s temperature gauge hit 15.8 degrees Celsius (mine indicated around 44 degrees Fahrenheit), singing about it in the helmets and dancing on the bikes. It was awesome to feel warm.

Sadly, when we hit I-85 and turned further inland, the temperature started dropping dramatically. As we made our way west across North Carolina, it got colder and colder. We started seeing snow left over from a storm they had over the weekend, and our spirits dropped with the return of the cold. By 3PM, we were riding on sheer will alone - neither of us felt like being on the bikes in the cold anymore but we both wanted to get more miles under our belts.

By the time we arrived at the hotel where we’re staying in Burlington, we were chilled to the core. We took a few minutes to take things off the bike and then straight into a hot shower, when we discovered that Kay’s Aerostich Kanetsu heated vest had left red burn marks in his back.

[​IMG]
    Aerostich Kanetsu Burns

We first saw the marks at least 10 minutes after turning off the heated gear, and two hours later, the marks have faded somewhat but are still burned into Kay’s back.

Today’s lesson? Don’t buy the Aerostich Kanetsu heated vest. And we’ve discovered that we can do a long day even in the cold, but even being a few degrees warmer makes a dramatic difference.
  2. toycloser

toycloser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Will be nice when you hit the tropical weather and stow the heated gear away.

Do you have a temp controller on the vest?

Good journey but you need some global warming soon. :deal
  4. 5er

5er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    luck guys
  5. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We do have a temp controller on the vest. That's one of the things that has us really upset - the fact that the temp controller is listed as an "optional extra." With burns like that using a temp controller, wouldn't anyone who *didn't* get the temp controller have hardcore burns every time they used the vest?

Yeah. We're much more a fan of my Gerbing's jacket than the Kanetsu vest. I'm so glad I went Gerbing's and am sorry that Kay is suffering!

Am praying that it gets warm soon because the cold is absolutely sapping our will... (i.e. it's 9AM and we're still in the hotel room. Will be getting a late start today.)
  6. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries,your on vacation :)
  7. BoochZilla

BoochZilla Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the love guys! Two Wheels down! looking forward to peeping your ride.. lol

Anthony
  8. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Good luck guys. We'll be watchin ya. :clap
  9. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    great start to a ride report
    thanks for taking us along
    stay safe and have fun
  10. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed

Oddometer:
    Best wishes for an awesome trip......
    cold, heat, whatever!

IN.
  11. Still Running

Still Running Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip ! I'll be checking on "ya'll" Keep on and it will warm up , proboly in South Carolina .
  12. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:
    As a former Bostonian, (Southy, on E 7th between M and N) now living in LA, I just have to follow this. Best of luck!!

(Oh, and I noticed you got a blessing from the Darth Peach...that's better than the pope himself kissing your engine)

FYI: Boston this AM was 12 degrees
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!
    You couldn't have had colder weather to start your trip with. Hopefully todays ride is a bit warmer. Just checked the weather in NC and it was in the 40's today. Hope it warms up as you get further south. My hat is off to you two.
  14. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    I noticed that your Spot tracks stopped short of Greensboro and you are now in Charlotte? I wish we had some good weather for you although if you come through Mobile tomorrow it will be mid 60s by the afternoon, but that is like 600 miles or so from Charlotte.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Widder electric vest. It will also burn if I don't have enough material between me and the vest. If Kay adds a sweatshirt (preferably cotton) underneath the vest, the burning problem will probably go away.
  16. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the shout outs, follows and best wishes, everyone! I'd love to say we had another uneventful day, but we didn't - started the day with a flat tire on Kay's bike and at lunch, Kay's JB Welded glasses lost an arm so he's now riding with glasses that have two lenses but only one arm. I'm trying to convince him to get a new pair but he insists he can ride with one-armed glasses until Mexico where he can get them cheaper. We'll see who wins this argument. Then my Gerbing's jacket started having trouble - thank goodness we've made it to somewhat warmer weather so I'm only partially frozen now!

We forgot to turn on the SPOT today with all the other stuff going on, but we've made it to Lavonia, Georgia. Our hotel (a Super 8) leaves something to be desired - our "non-smoking" room smells like smoke, and the hotel has Wi-Fi as promised but it won't actually surf the web. I threw my laptop on the bike and rode down the street to McDonalds to get a 'net connection because I need to get some work done. I'll still do a full writeup tonight and will try to post tomorrow AM.

klaviator - thanks for the heads-up re: the layers. Kay was wearing a long-sleeved Smartwool t-shirt under the vest - we don't have a sweatshirt. If we can find a way to make room in the panniers for a sweatshirt, we'll try to add one - otherwise, he'll just have to remember not to turn it up too high!

Gotta run and work, but full writeup tomorrow (hopefully!) and some video, I think, if we can find a fast enough 'net connection soon.
  17. rod1

rod1 Old Australian Bull

Oddometer:
    My very best wishes for a fantastic trip. I will be following from afar, (Australia). Some years ago, my wife and I spent 4 years traveling bits of the world on bicycles. I feel the 'desire' coming over me again! I only have to teach Lida to ride a Motor Cycle this time. Anyway, have a ball. Rod
  18. Rangerrat

Rangerrat Adventurer Rat

Oddometer:
    WOW, and yes, WOW, again. And I thought I was a tough rider, but you guys are one of the best. Your great attitude and courage to ride under those cold conditions, got me drinking hot tea. :roflBut don't worry, the pay-off is only a few more miles. Love your report.....
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a cheap sweatshirt at Wal-mart or dollar general....you should be able to find one for around 5 bucks. You won't need room in the pannniers if you are wearing it. Then when you get to warmer weather you can get rid of it.
  20. Cobia235

Cobia235 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guy's, great to see you are off! Sorry to here about the slow start but you need to go to the nearest cycle gear tommorow there are 3 in GA looks like the lawrenceville store is on your way west and buy each other the Guardian Angel Bell and attach it to your bike low to the ground it only works if you receive it as a gift! The Mancester store had them right by the cash register, It will ward off the evil gremlins that seem to be on your bikes!

Dachary I'm glad to see the bike isn't any worse for the wear from the pachaug weekend. I'll be following the report. It was 6 degrees this morning in CT!

Godspeed - Cobia

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=GBL_HALO