Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Stuffyyff

Stuffyyff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just completed your RR as I've been reading a bit every day. Thanks for posting!

Now I know what kind of business to create; a decent pizza place in South America! :rofl
  2. jb1950

jb1950 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

I feel a bit uncomfortable writing this... I am older (pushing 61), and reading blogs and ride reports is somewhat new to me (consider I lived a long time before computers were smaller than your living room.)

I envy you two - what a feat! I have been riding again for the past 10 years, mostly cruisers, but I had a 2 year sojurn with a VStrom 650. I thought I would do adventure touring, and I changed my mind after two harrowing experiences off road last summer (with you Dachery on the dirt fear thing...:evil) So, I basically flaked and sold the Wee and just got a Concours 14...plans are now for distance SPORT touring:wink:

I would hazard a a guess that there are many who dream of doing what you have done, and, like me, have thoroughly enjoyed your account of the adventure, but who likely will never do it...I have pretty much decided not to, as well... though I have completely enjoyed your reports...

Good luck to you two - I wish you the best...let me know if you come by Portland, Oregon (on the trip north to Alaska??) - where - btw, we have food almost all hours...LOL.... ( and gas!)

-John
  3. Rangerrat

Rangerrat Adventurer Rat

Oddometer:
    Felicidades muchachos:clap Yes, Mexican tortillas is mucho good, and without Gaston (recePI), is even better. Your long journey and wild events were awesome and extremely transparent. Many Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read your wonderful adventure.... Uhm, now where's my cheese tortilla!!!
  4. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    K & D: CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU !

What a great ride report. Thanks for taking me along with you. I really enjoyed your style of writing, the details, the ups and downs, the food and hotel comments etc...

With Gason's vast knowledge and upbeat personality, he should put these skills to use as motivational speaker or a Life Coach and become an editor in Wikipedia where he could correct all the fiction of that database. Why waste those skills on just Adv Rider?

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but there is no longer any doubt. We all encounter people in our life that just suck the energy out of us. Fortunately, we can choose to avoid any further interaction with them by staying away from their "world". Unfortunately, in this digital world, they can stick on you like a leech and there is no shaking them off.

Like any experience, there is something positive to learn from it, even if it's just the great appreciation we realize we have for our friends and family that actually inject life affirming thoughts and positivity into us when we interact with them, physically or digitally.

Safe travels home and looking forward to hearing more from your two.
  5. Stan Dalone

Stan Dalone Where ever I go, there I am!

Oddometer:
    From mini state of row dylin, Congratulations it just shows to go ya, ya can get there, from here :deal

I was suppose to get to that last Camp n Ride in Pachaug, right before you left, but life got in the way, however I stay tuned through out your trip.
    For 2 (newbies?), you have done one hell of a job. Takes a lot of balls to do this, but if your from Bawstin, we all know yous already HAVE a ton of balls :lol3

Hope to see you at the summer camp n rides in Pachaug?

6. charliemike

charliemike wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Great Ride Report and thrilled that you guys made it! Like you said though, still 3k KM to BA. I'll stay tuned for the rest and your impressions of BA!

Thanks for bringing us along!:freaky
  7. ronvan

ronvan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Congratulations!
  8. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kay (under Dachary's account): thanks on the congrats, but don't hold back on the advice. A number of people have given us great advice in this thread that we didn't ask for and while we haven't been able to take advantage of it all we definitely appreciate it.
  9. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kay (under Dachary's account): We're bewildered by the boots. It's the new Dianese pair (rather expensive) we got at Revzilla on the way down when her RevIt boots zipper bit it. They were great initially, and she was absolutely loving them but through means we can't discern they wen't from waterproof to waterbags.

Other than that the equipment choices (listed on our site) have worked out pretty well. We'll have a full breakdown of what worked and didn't when the trip is done. The one thing we absolutely wish we'd have gotten before leaving is Frog Togs through.

On a related note 3 out of 4 straps on my Airhawk have ripped out now.
  10. Mr Scruffy

Mr Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too have been following you every mile of the way. When I originally saw that fellow Bostonians were doing this, I had to... it's a local kinship sorta thing. The sheer audacity and may I say testicular fortitute to even attempt such a feat boggles my mind. We've done some "long" trips (2200 miles in a week), but the only "foreign" country involved was Canada! We've lived the interpersonal stuff you had the guts to post, and it's gratifying to note that it's not just us! :D Thank you so much for sharing all this, and I'll be following you guys all the way back home. If there's a gathering when you get back and rested... post it and I'll be there!

Side note... When I see "Gaston" on the left nav, I just find it easier to not read the post. I get less aggravated that way :D
  11. lefturn99

lefturn99 T-Town Geezer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR. Especially the "human" side. We don't see that much. I also enjoyed the fact that you guys kinda learned as you went.

Thanks for taking us along.
  12. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:

Quote of the day.:lol3
  13. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! It's been a fun ride report. Safe travels home.
  14. Daneshavis

Daneshavis n00b

Oddometer:
    Great Report, the downside is Dachary has inspired my wife to start taking trips with me and she is now requesting a bike. I will send you the bill.:clap

Thanks again for the ride report.
  15. Syntroxis

Syntroxis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up. And what everyone else is saying.:clap
  16. wlm2048

wlm2048 japh

Oddometer:
    I'm normally only good for lurking, but this was great. Thanks for taking us along!
  17. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    If they inspired your wife to become your lifelong traveling companion, maybe they should be sending YOU the bill! ;^)
  18. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... But Kay wants me to point out that we're not quite done yet.

We've still got 3,000 kilometers to Buenos Aires (more like 3,700 with side trips) and we intend to stop along the way to see a glacier and *maybe* some penguins if we're lucky and they haven't left yet.

So yeah, we did reach our goal, but all the cool stuff isn't done quite yet...
  19. RUOK

RUOK no, no I guess not

Oddometer:
    Great job :clap
    Been following you guys since the start, your report had a different flavor or style that made for some compelling reading. I looked forward to every update. Thanks for taking the time to post this ride, and sharing with all of us many of the details, it really gave a personal feel to the trip, Can't wait for the conclusion.
  20. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    I was going to post yesterday, but this damn job is getting in the way of my 'real' life! Please don't stop posting until it's truly over, you're back in Boston and you've nothing more to say! :D

keep it coming - SS