Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. WritingonTwoWheels

WritingonTwoWheels n00b

Oddometer:
    I just heard of you from Adventure Riding on FB. I would have loved to host you guys. I went fom Norfolk to LA (and lots in between) and only paid for a hotel 1 night. Couch / guest room surfing rocks. I see you're not passing this way again and you must be shipping the bikes home from what(?) Rio?

Anyway have a blast.

On a related note, I am looking for other riders (GS or VStrom preferred as I am hoping to get dirty) who are thinking of Alaska in summer 2011.
  2. BoochZilla

BoochZilla Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer:
    :-)

3. BoonekaFa

BoonekaFa n00bile misADVenture

Oddometer:
    Safe Travels! :wink:
  4. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:

an option?

<CITE>www.couchsurfing.org/</CITE>
  5. BoonekaFa

Oddometer:

I was just about to post that! Join the motorcycle riders group too.. it's a good network, My roomates "sub-group" is the Southeastern USA Motorcycle riders
  6. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap It was 24 below here this mornning,this is great reading!
  7. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to do Alaska. If I'd had the chance, I would have gone to Prudhoe Bay to start the trip and then ride all the way down. But that obviously wasn't a choice with leaving at this time of year, and we're leaving at this time of year to try to get the best weather most of the way.

But if we have our bikes back and/or have money after this massive drain on the bank account, I'd love to come along!

The plan is to fly home from Buenos Aires after we go all the way to Ushuaia, and if we still have enough money, to ship the bikes home, too. If we don't have the cash, though, we'll store the bikes for a bit until we can accumulate the dosh. But we're unwilling to sell them in SA when we finish - we want to take these bikes on lots more adventures! (A true RTW is in our sites at some point... and we've pondered doing something like Africa on something crazy inappropriate like a Symba or something, but I really love this BMW. This CA/SA adventure is, in some ways, like an extended test trip for a RTW for us.)

So keep us posted when you have a timeframe and a proposed route, and if we can make it, we'd love to join! (Well, I might be able to wrangle the time away - Kay might be back to the corporate grind. We'll see what happens when we get back.)

And thanks for the shout-out, Booch!

(And re: couchsurfing - that's another one that we know about but haven't utilized. Ideally we'd rather camp most of the time. We like primitive camping and rough camping. But the weather has been poor so far, and we haven't planned well enough ahead to use something like couchsurfing.org. Hopefully we won't need it after tonight, but if we do, I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the reminder!)
  8. gsgs

gsgs George | F650GS '01

Oddometer:
    Nice trip with great ride report! Your writing skills are very good!
    :clap
    Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Dachary, I have a question, what is your
    job? I am asking this because you have mention
    many times that you are doing work for
    your clients while you are on the road.

Looking forward to read your news.

Have a great trip!:wave
  9. wvdeuce

wvdeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My question is that also. What do you do for a living? I retired in 2004 as a company insurance adjuster. I would think having to called your answering service or read your e-mails or return cell phone calls to see what is going on with your job would absolutely ruin your trip especially if something was not going well. To be truthful I really never had great vacation until I retired and got rid of all those claims files.
    Another question. Are you using a spot. If so can you post the web site so I can follow your adventures.
    Thanks.
  10. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the well-wishes, gsgs! Funny you should mention my writing and ask about my job in the same post... I'm a freelance writer. I work for a variety of clients in a wide range of industries, and I've got several ongoing clients I've been working with for years. I've declined all new jobs for the past 4-6 weeks, but it's important to me to keep my long-time clients happy so I'm trying to work ahead and get as much work done as possible for them before we leave the country and have unreliable 'net connections.

I've completed everything that's due through mid-January at this point, and I was hoping to have everything done through March (except one time-sensitive project I'm going to have to find a way to do one day per month from the road). I've been doing a poor job of getting work done today, though, so it looks like I'll have to try to cram more in the next couple of days.

In some ways, I envy Kay's quitting the job and not having any of this to worry about. But I've spent years building up my business so I can't just walk away from my longtime clients and still expect to have a business to come back to when the trip is over. In that way, it's better than Kay's having no job to come back to... but I'm really curious to see how things shake out after the trip is done.
  11. wvdeuce

wvdeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well your post above answered my question about your job. I hear folks complain all the time about their jobs but until you have one that follows you around 24/7 you do not know what stress and worry about your job is. I hope all goes well with your job. I looked at your other sites to see if I could find your spot web site to no avail.
    I guess you know it by now that the bad weather is following you. It is 12 degrees here in West Virginia right now. It is suppose to go below freezing tonight in parts of Florida. I wish you a safe and happy trip.
    I put your site in my favorites so I can watch it daily. Hey I am retired. :clap
  12. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We do have a SPOT tracker - it's at: Corporate Runaways SPOTs

Thanks for the interest! (And in response to the rest of your post - I'm not checking in with an answering service or dealing with anything else - I'm just doing the minimum work for the clients I've been working with for years. I've turned down some projects from some of my newer clients and have been declining new clients outright until my return. But I really value my relationships with my clients so I've been trying to do what I can for my long-time clients.)
  13. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    subscribed! Nice to see some fellow Bostonians on an adventure! Spent most my life there. :clap

Good luck!
  14. wvdeuce

wvdeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I put your Spot Tracker web address in my favorites.
  15. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You made the wise choice of not severing good working relationships with valued clients. This will be beneficial when your current adventure ends and you need to fund the next phase.
    Burning bridges can be permanent.
    I'm following your travels with interest and wish you both the best, good weather is just a little further south. :nod
  16. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're around Port Arthur TX. I see the weather report looks decent, finally. 72 tomorrow, but a bit windy. Better than 30 degrees
  17. wvdeuce

wvdeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just checked the weather in your area. About 60 degrees this time of night. 11-26 pm EST. A lot better than a few days ago.
  18. BoonekaFa

Oddometer:
    Just join the m/c riders group on C/S and post up your intended route and a link to your RR, you will likely get some offers from fellow riders with little effort.

I invited and hosted a couple from Germany touring the eastern USA coast by m/c stay with me here a couple years ago and have hosted a traveler from Moscow who I introduced to riding.. Made a few motorcycle friends too.. Camping is cool but its nice to have a break from the road now and then, not to mention the local perspective. Couch Surfing rocks, I was hosted by several Couchsurfers when I rode to Alaska and back from Atlanta in 2007
  19. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    I'm so happy that Kay finally caved and got new glasses! :clap Hopefully you checked the fit with the helmet before purchase. I learned that the hard way. Good luck on the next leg into Mexico.
  20. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 8 got off to another late start, as we had an email from our magazine app developer with a new build that we needed to check out. Took a while to futz around with that, and it was 10:30AM by the time we hit the road. Arrived in Baton Rouge just after noon, where we picked up my new Anakee 2 tires at Hebert Cycles.

The shop offered to mount them for us, but they were going to charge me an hour of shop service to mount them and we didn't feel like spending $88 to do something we could do ourselves. So we threw the tires on the back of the bikes and headed toward our destination - Sea Rim State Park in Texas.

[​IMG]
    Are we real adventure riders now?

Along the way, we ran into an oil refinery. Literally rode through the middle of it. I've never seen anything like it. It's a massive complex - miles and miles of strange looking towers and industrial things and tons of piping everywhere; crossing the street, running along side the street. It was insane.

Amusingly, we also ran into houses on stilts. It's the first time I've ever seen houses on stilts. It was just like something out of Dr. Seuss - I was waiting for the houses to get up and start walking around. Real life isn't that entertaining, though.

Alas, we were racing the sunset (it still gets dark so early!) and it was dark by the time we arrived. We're literally camping on the beach, though - in the sand and everything.

This was our first time riding in the sand - and Kay dropped his bike. We were trying to park and Kay pulled forward to do a loop in a less-packed dune-y section of the sand, and the bike went over. Dragged his foot back and smashed it under the pannier - between the pannier and the ground. Luckily, Kay has good boots that have malleous protectors so he just got a bit bruised. Alas, this first drop of the trip was in the dark so it was impossible to photo document. I suspect we'll have more, though. (Perhaps even in the morning as we try to get our bikes out of here.)

And, we would be remiss if we didn't include this little gem:
    [​IMG]
    Muggles at Hooters

For day 8, we went from Houma, LA to Sabine Pass, TX - 316 miles.

--------------
    Kay:
    The oil refinery was… I don't even have words for it. It was so massive. They were literally bringing workers in by the busload. It was something of a turning point for me. It really helped put the cost of using fossil fuels into perspective. All of this… this huge monstrosity of pipes and power and entire shiploads of oil just so that we can buy gas to drive around with one person in an SUV that seats seven…

Wait… there's a sea-bird, squeaking on the beach while I type. My ears are filled with the sound of ocean. I'm about to sleep on the beach for the first time in my life, and some tiny squeaky sea bird is just outside our tent. We've been brought here by these incredible machines, and yet… there are literally miles of oil refinery maybe twenty miles down the road. It's glow lights up the horizon behind us.

I feel incredibly fortunate, and a little bit guilty. I want to do this ride while we still can, before we humans have fucked up every place out there with our litter and lack of concern, and before we run out of gas. I don't know what comes next, but I feel there's going to be a time where gas is outrageously expensive, and there will be a period of years where there simply won't be an alternative that'll allow us to take a journey like this.

We have to take this chance at adventure while we can.