Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For everyone who's shared AT links and tips: thanks! Who knew that ADVers were into other types of adventure? :evil

And on a side-note: just spoke with Tom at Max BMW to schedule service. We're having some logistical problems getting the bikes up there - his truck guy is tied up for the rest of the week fully booked on pick ups and deliveries, and next week will be on vacation. So the next time he could pick the bikes up would be Tuesday June 21. We're trying to figure out other options for getting the bikes up there now. If we can get them up there by next Tuesday, he can work on them next week.

He also said that my bike problem sounds like a completely dead battery. Apparently on our bike the battery forms a part of the bike's power circuit. So if the battery is completely dead - i.e. incapable of holding a charge - it interrupts the circuit and the bike won't run. So he suggests that if we simply replace the battery it might run again. Tempted to steal the battery from Kay's bike to test this theory... if that's true, we could theoretically ride the bikes up to NH for service but then we'd still have to figure out a way to get home.

Logistics can be a hassle when you're a bike-only household and you both ride :p
  2. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    Glad you got your bikes out before the mess down there...:D

Hopes and Prayers for all the people under the cloud...respiratory distress! Would be a full time job just cleaning your air filter! :becca:knary

Shiny side up, throttle on, lean into it! :D :clap :D
  3. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Buy a new battery, put it in your bike. Ride to NH, leave your bike there (or whichever bike needs service the most) and return home on the other bike. When bike # 1 is ready for pickup, go and drop the other one for service.
  4. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would try Kay's battery. If it works buy a new one and ride to Max for service. I'm sure you have already figured this out. lol
  5. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
  6. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really both bikes need service badly, even if a new battery gets mine running. Not sure I'd trust either bike to go that far right now. But if Kay's battery works (and if I can find a new battery in my 'hood) I might be tempted to do a Zipcar relay. Ride one bike up with the other person following in a rented car, then bring home. Again with the second bike. Would take like 5 hours and renting a car but I want to get the bikes in working order so I can ride already!

(Also the minor fact that both bikes are technically not Mass legal right now because their inspections are out of date, and no way Kay's would pass inspection with a non-functional taillight and such bald tires. So if we do ride the bikes to Max for service, gotta hope the cops don't notice Kay's taillight and pull him over.)

Ahh, logistics. Times like this I could almost wish for a trailer...
  7. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's plus $0.99 per mile. Max is 50-60 miles away, so it'd be more like $150 after mileage. We checked ;)
  8. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option is Enterprise. I know in some of the smaller states they'll give you a flat rate with unlimited mileage if you stay within x states. They do rent pickups and cargo vans but you'll need to devise a ramp.
  9. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We actually have a ramp, but the bikes are too big to fit in pickup beds and the Enterprise website doesn't list Massachusetts as a state where they rent commercial trucks (i.e. cargo vans or trucks that have hitches that can tow trailers). Some Googling of Enterprise says you can't get a vehicle from Enterprise with a trailer hitch in MA, but I haven't actually called them. So we'd probably be back to using a UHaul or doing a relay with the bikes...

The other problem is that we're booked on Saturday for an event here in Boston, and Max is closed on Sunday and Monday. So unless Kay wants to take a day off work, the earliest we could take the bikes up ourselves would be next weekend anyway, so we'll probably just save ourselves the hassle and have them pick it up a couple days later on Tuesday. The timing is just bad.

There's a camp-and-ride thing in Rhode Island that we won't be able to make and we'll have pretty much lost all of June for riding by the time the bikes get serviced and we get them back. But we hadn't expected to have the cash to pick them up for months yet, so I won't complain. And I can't tell you all how much better I feel just having the bikes here, even if they're just sitting in front of the house and we're not riding. It really is like a part of me was missing while they were in Argentina, and now that hole is filled because they're back. Corny, I know, but I guess this is what happens when you ride all day, every day for four months...
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have put two KLR650s in the back of my Chevy Avalanche and it has a much smaller bed than any full size pickup. You shouldn't have any problem putting both of your bikes in the back of any full size pickup or one of them in any small pickup.
  11. grahamfitter

grahamfitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Home Depot rents pickup trucks by the hour. I've used them a couple of times to bring home stuff that won't fit (or I don't want to put) in my car. Its occurred to me in the past if I ever need a truck for a couple of hours I'd just use one of them.
  12. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why people get so complicated on hauling a couple of bicycles ah!!!

Get a U-haul for god sake and stop crying !!! Be terrestrial ! After 7 thousands bucks spent, $20 is not going to heart the budget
  13. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pat McGhie has invited us to be on "The World's Only Motorcycle Radio Road Show" SideStand Up!

We'll be on the show tomorrow, Tuesday, June 14 in a roughly 20 minute segment between 7 and 9PM. You can catch us live, or the podcast will also be available via iTunes if you miss the live show.

Join us as we talk about the trip, the prep and how it's changed our lives since we've been home!
  14. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, for those who've offered the helpful suggestions: thanks! We appreciate all of the suggestions. We've looked into our options and it would be roughly twice the cost to rent a truck ourselves vs. having Max BMW pick them up, plus we're totally booked until next weekend so we could literally only get it there the equivalent of one day before having Max pick them up. So we're just gonna go ahead and wait.

However, I did take Tom at Max's suggestion about the battery and I've ordered a replacement battery for my bike. It actually came over the weekend but I was busy - if I have time this afternoon and the rain holds off until I get my work done for the day, I'll install the new battery and see if my bike is running after that.

I've also ordered my new chain from BikeBandit (although Kay hasn't ordered his yet - bad procrastinator!) so if the battery works, my bike will be all good aside from the 12k service it's long overdue for. My tires should still be good for a while and the only other problem with my bike (besides the overdue service/tune-up) is some front end vibration which may not be anything... but I'll feel a lot better if the battery has my bike running again. Might even have to take her out for a ride. I've missed her!
  15. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    The show is 7 - 9 EDT, for those who may want to listen from other time zones. Our scheduled time (subject to change etc with a live show) is 7:50 PM EASTERN TIME.. Those who want to catch this segment live should try and be listening by about 7:45PM EDT

Looking forward to it....

Pat in NH
  16. trackpete

trackpete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the general area, I spent the last couple of days riding through the ash cloud that shut down air travel (northwards on Ruta 3)... it's not very interesting or impressive this far out, pretty much like riding through LA on a bad day. ;)

The opportunity for amazing sights and photos like that are usually limited to the eruption periods, by now everything is pretty boring and just nasty ugly. I thought about making a run to Bariloche to check it out but everything I've heard/seen is that it's not really worthwhile.

I do agree that the thought of "being there" moments before is pretty intense, I was there on Ruta 40 less than two weeks before the eruption, fighting my way through snow and intense freezing cold... sure would have been interesting to add the eruption to it!

Ash covering the world from the upper atmosphere:
    [​IMG]

My bike was fairly clean before I got into it, takes awhile but eventually it built up all over, worse when it rained a little bit on the road and some of the ash baked onto my engine:
    [​IMG]
  17. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, Pete - looks messy. Seeing your pics, I feel a bit better about missing it. Personally I hated the stretch north on Routa 3 - it was some of the most boring riding I've ever done - and I think all that gray would just make it worse.
  18. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woot! Got my work done and was home by 3:30 (and it got sunny whilst I was out!) and had my new battery installed and my baby running again by 4PM! YES! New battery fixed the problem. She's still running a bit rough after sitting for a couple of months, and I know she needs a 12k service... her valves may need some adjusting. She needs a new chain. But she's alive! I'm pondering taking her for a shakedown ride tomorrow about 30 miles west and back just to give her a bit of a chance to stretch her legs. Dunno if that's wise or not. But having her running again is just making me want to RIDE!

On another note, I've ordered a replacement plastic for my Wunderlich Wind Deflector that broke in Colombia (apparently you can get just the plastic which costs about a third of the price, and makes me feel better about carrying the thing around for two months and another 10k miles) and a new BeadRider seat cover, since mine is missing some beads/in danger of unravelling completely.

Makes me glad to have a list of all the bike mods on our site so I can just click on the mod I need and go directly to the page to re-order it ;)

So FYI, post-trip, this is what I've spent on my bike so far getting her back up to shape from the trip:

$158.10 on a new motorcycle chain;
    $150.11 on a new battery;
    $52.50 on a new plastic for my wind deflector;
    $68.95 on a new BeadRider;
    $64.87 on replacement hardware (locks and quick locks) for the TraX panniers and rack.

So my out-of-pocket total of things I can replace to return my bike to the same condition as before the trip is: $494.53.

I'm expecting probably $500-$1000 to service the bike, depending on what all they find to do once they take her apart. So total to restore my bike to excelle t condition after the trip is expected to be $1,000-$1,500. Not bad for 20,000 miles, I think. She's held up well. (Better than Kay's Horse... although I can't say too much because at least Kay's bike finished the trip under its own steam.)

Note: I didn't bother to replace the Aerostich multi-meter of DOOM. I could theoretically buy a new one and seal this one, now that I know you have to seal it... but I probably won't bother. That thing just ended up annoying the crap out of me by the end. So I'm saving myself ~$40 on that POS.

Also, not bothering to use the Loobman anymore. I'm just not convinced that it did a very good job so I'm going back to manually lubing the chain.

But all the other bike mods, I'm completely happy with, and would gladly pay to replace if they broke (hence this list).

Also, I've ordered a new visor for my Arai XD3 helmet. All that sand in Peru and Chile really did a number on it - it's all scratched and a PITA at night. It makes me practically blind when lights from oncoming traffic hit it in the dark. Wasn't such a problem on the road when we didn't drive at night, but now that I'm home I'm sure I'll end up on the road at night from time to time. About $55 for that. The rest of my gear has held up well enough, though... may ponder replacing my boots at some point depending on how well the waterproof spray I used works. But 20,000 miles of wear was kind enough to the rest of my gear.

I also need to do something with my panniers. One of the drops bent the pannier enough that the seam has come un-sealed and it leaks pretty good now. I'll probably just take some sealant to it so that should be a cheap fix.
  19. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:
    It's Laconia bike week. While it is mostly Harley dudes, it's a nice ride from Boston and kind of neat seeing all those bikes in one place.
  20. Cambridge K

Cambridge K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL - While, I was up at a Yankee Beemer - Pemi Rally in the rain last weekend not many Harley bike were out - due to the rain :lol3
    in the Laconia area. Some were out but to eat & tired from a hard 25 mile ride to a place to eat. There's a 20 to 40 % of rain this week up there - I hope some will get out & ride, before their bike sink in the mud.