Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this has been beat to death but I just bought a DR 650 on ebay this Sunday. I live in columbus, OH. The bike is in Detroit. Round trip mileage, approx 500 miles. Enterprise was $64.99 for 24 hrs, NO MILEAGE CHARGE. After tax and fees, it came out to a little under $84. Total gas just under $100 so a total of $184. I can't remember what the dealer is charging you for pick up and delivery. Enterprise asked me at the desk if I was going out of state...I said NO because I was commited to the pick up and did not want to give them an excuse to deny my rental.
    I left at 6pm, got there at 10pm, left Detroit at 11pm and home by 2:30am. Then up early to use the truck for other things, going to the dump, picking up a new mattress, etc... All in All, it was a great value for me. The trucks they rent are full size, 6.5' bed and can easily handle two GS 650's with the rear gate down. You will need tie down straps and the truck beds have 4 sturdy metal loops strategically located for ratcheting down a bike. The deck height is 3' so unless you have a ramp or a convenient ditch to back into for loading, you will probably need another strong person to help lift the bikes in and out again. Good luck with whatever you decide from both a cost and convenience standpoint.
    Tim
  2. Kamala

Kamala Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A belated welcome back. Loved the RR and just listened to the Sidestand up interview. I read in the RR about just replacing your chain. Just as an FYI you should replace the sprockets and chain as a set. Old sprockets will quickly wreak a new chain. Hopefully we will cross paths soon. I'm only about 35 miles west of you two. Again, welcome back.
  3. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:

I wouldn't go with the in-state rental. If you happen to get pulled over the cop is going to see the valid in ____ only part and you'll have some explaining to do.

Generally in areas with small states they group states together with that deal, so you get unlimited mileage if you stay in those states.
  4. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I got home late and found the show site / and played back the episode. You guys sounded great, well done.

A big plus to have found this show. I imagine I'll get bored with it eventually, but guest after guest after guest really keeps things moving. Glad you led me to it.
  5. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha - Dachary: Laughed outloud when I read this - loved the way you called it a POS! :rofl

Thx for the laugh,

dab
  6. trackpete

trackpete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, imagine doing it with an average speed of 30MPH. :| I am so very happy to be back on the 40 for the rest of the way north now.
  7. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the love, folks! We enjoyed doing the interview, although there are a lot of questions we didn't get to cover because of the time constraints. The time just FLEW by! And yeah - SSU is a pretty cool show. I go through spurts where I listen regularly and then I forget about it for a while before I'm reminded again.

On an unrelated note - I really REALLY wanted to ride yesterday but picked up a new client so I decided to be responsible and work.... and then didn't get much work done. So this morning I decided "screw it!" and blew off work to ride out to Armeno Coffee Roasters in Northborough. (Didn't want to ride up to Laconia, although that was a great suggestion, because it's outside of my tow radius for emergency service and I didn't want to get screwed needing a tow.)

It was so good to be on the bike again! It was simultaneously like I hadn't missed a beat since South America, but also weird because I'm way more experienced now than I was when we left. So riding here at home is kinda weird because I remember feeling differently about things when I used to ride here, and now I feel like a completely different rider. I kept noticing stuff that used to bother me and I was totally fine with it.

And it felt SO GOOD to be on the bike again. She was running a little rough at the beginning, but by the time we hit I-90 she was going. I think she liked the chance to stretch her legs. I do think the valve clearances are probably a bit off, and she could use a general cleaning up and lubing all over - but otherwise she seems to be in great shape!

Re: the chain - not sure yet if I'll also replace the sprockets. We replaced them in Chile and didn't do *that much* riding in Argentina so I'll have to see how they're doing. I know you're typically supposed to replace chain and sprockets together, but we use the D.I.D. X-Ring Gold chains and they didn't have them in Chile, so we didn't get new chains when we had them put on our new sprockets. Definitely need them, though - these chains have close to 20k miles on them. There's a little bit of binding but otherwise they still appear to be in good shape - mine hasn't stretched at all - but I don't wanna wait too much longer and then get in trouble with it. So I'll see if the sprockets are worn or not, but they're probably still like new and I'll just put the new chain on the same sprockets.

And FYI, the new visor is so crystal clear! Makes such a huge difference. Easy way to make a helmet feel like new. I really love the Arai.

Also, the new seat cover came - *after* I got home from the ride. Put it on and it's all set. I should have the new plastic for the Wunderlich wind deflector lip thing soon so my bike will be pretty much ready to go again after service.

Now all I have to do is find my d*mn gloves. My summer gloves are missing - had to use an old pair. I want my 20k mile broken-in gloves, darnit!

(First world problems.)

Oh yeah - the coffee, by the way? Phenomenal. Will definitely be bringing some sort of drip filter or something on the next trip so I can have my damn coffee.
  8. Sh4ft

Sh4ft Beater

Oddometer:
  9. masukomi

masukomi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, we didn't get a chance to mention it during the interview, but we've put together a survey, and need your input.

As you know I'm putting together a book to help people prepare for their next, or first, motorcycle adventure. Of course there are plenty of books out there that help you deal with big obvious questions, like what bike, or hard vs. soft panniers. But we need your help to create something different. We want a book of advice: tips, tricks, and lessons learned on the road. Imagine your best friend is going on their first motorcycle adventure and you are giving him a brain dump of all the things you’ve learned on your adventures. Yes, the big lessons, but also the little ones, like carrying a couple of dryer sheets to keep in your dirty laundry bag for the day you inevitably have to wear things again between washes.

Imagine all the things that you wished the books and ride reports would have told you before you left. That’s what we want to provide, and with your help, we will.

Please take a few minutes to fill out our survey, and if you know anyone else who’s been on an adventure, please encourage them to add their experience too.

I'll post this to another section, but I wanted to make sure that all of you awesome folks who've been sending us feedback in this thread saw it.
  10. masukomi

Oddometer:
    So back in Nazca Peru Dachary had her third flat. When we pulled the rear axel out to get the tire off we noticed that it was bone dry. Any grease that had previously been there had worn away long ago, and we, being silly, didn't have a tiny tub of it. We actually intended to bring one, but couldn't find a tiny tub to put it in before we left.

As we'd pulled into a gas station to change the tire (bad idea, as it blocked all wind in the 100+ degree heat) a helpful motorist walked over after filling his tank to point out that there was a mechanic just down the road. Why not have him change the tire for us. We thanked him, but continued on as it's not really a hard task. However, we realized that that would be a good place to score some grease, as the gas station we were at had absolutely nothing other than gas.

So, we looked up the word for grease (long since forgotten) and i walked over with the axel. I found the mechanic, told him what I needed, and held out the axel. He nodded, went over, picked up a squirt bottle, and proceeded to squirt motor-oil over the axel.

Er... Yeah... Um. "Thanks!"

We then rode the bikes down to Ushuaia, and then up to Buenos Aires... probably about 8,000 miles. We just went to lube up her axels this morning as we'd discovered her front was also very dry (don't know what it is with Nargo eating grease) and discovered that her rear axel was still fairly well lubed. Now, it's true that along the way BMW Santiago pulled off the rear wheel to change the sprocket for us (they were changing the engine gasket anyway...) so they *could* have re-lubed the rear axel. But I really don't think they did because the stuff I wiped off of it this afternoon really looked, and felt, like engine oil, not grease.

So, long story short, If you discover your axel is in desperate need of some grease but don't have any, try engine oil. If you don't have a spare quart with you you could probably dip a napkin into your oil tank to grab a little to wipe on.
  11. peekay

peekay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It might have been gear oil, commonly used for axles & transmissions in cars/trucks. Better than nothing, but unless sealed any oil will eventually seep out and the residual coating may or may not be enough to prevent premature wear.

Gear oil may be better than regular motor oil for this as it is formulated to resist extreme pressures of direct metal contact.
  12. masukomi

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Judging by the state of this mechanic's "shop"... which is to say, a dirt yard surrounded by four cinderblock walls, a small piece of hole-filled cloth / tarp held up by sticks (i think) over a pile of assorted chunks of metal that used to be inside vehicles, oil covered dirt, and more chunks of metal that used to be inside vehicles..... I'm thinking that squirt bottle just held standard motor-oil. ;)

But yes, I'm not suggesting this as a replacement at all, or that you should ever let it go as far as we did before replacing it with grease (we simply forgot about it). Just, you know, if you've got nothing else.
  13. wvdeuce

wvdeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Morning. What is status of your bikes at the BMW dealer?
  14. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is an excellent question. I've been wondering that myself. Got a call in to the dealer today (they're closed on Sun and Mon) so hopefully they'll give me an update on what's going on with them, and when we might get them home.

On another note, we just registered for the BMW MOA Rally in Bloomsburg, PA in July. If any of you are going to be there, we'd love to meet up! I think after the rally I'll be heading on to Indiana to visit my family, and Kay will be heading back to Boston. It'll be good to be out on the bikes again, even for just a small trip like that.

Kay's having to take some time off work for the rally, so we're currently pondering what adventure we can have in the remaining two weeks of vacation he'll have left. And the weather in Boston has been beautiful the past few days - I'm Jonesing for the bike! Wanna ride!
  15. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the bikes are ready Dachary, or at least close.. weather is too good to be wasted!! :evil

Pat in NH
  16. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right. So I've finally gotten ahold of the dealer this morning and they haven't even looked at the bikes yet. They're "running behind." Apparently they've gotten so busy they've had to borrow a tech from one of their other stores.

Looks like we won't be getting them back anytime soon if they haven't even looked at them yet. Boo. All this beautiful weather going to waste.
  17. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    That sucks :cry
    Could they give you an idea when they might start on them?

Pat in NH
  18. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He said he "hopes to get them up on the lift today or tomorrow." I expect Kay's bike may need quite a lot of work, and either/both bikes may need parts ordered so they may not be done this week. Hopefully next week!

We did spend something like 40 minutes on the phone last night with the guy who created and organized the Chain Gang, which is the super awesome F650 website with the amazingly detailed FAQ. We had a very nice chat and he suggested that perhaps Kay's electric gremlins could be nothing more than a wire grounding out somewhere. (Or it could be the computer or something more expensive.) So I'm curious to see how that goes.

Also, he says the rear shocks on our bikes tend to go every 20k miles or so, and my bike got shorter during the trip (it's now about 2-3 inches shorter than it was when we started) so I fear I may need a new rear shock. Not cheap.

Am anxious to find out the damage so we can budget our spending for other things... and of course I want the bikes back. Looks like our timing was poor. Kay's being all optimistic, though, because every day closer to Friday we get is a day closer to another paycheck, where we have that much more money to deal with the bike problems... so I suppose there's a silver lining. But it's hard to be patient when it's this beautiful out and I just want to RIDE!
  19. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    I'm only 45 minutes from the Rally in Bloomsburg si I will definitely be attending!
  20. wvdeuce

wvdeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dachray. Well I have been with you guys on this trip from about the first week. I have went through all the stress with you on the trip. I see your remarks about what the shop said to you and I can say I saw it coming when you did not get the shop foreman to call you back the same day. That was a slap in your face in my opinion of what he told you. If you had to call him back as he never returned your original call that was a double slap in face. I’ll say no more. I guess I still under stress from your trip. I wish you both well and I hope when they get to your bikes they make the repairs properly.