Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. wordguy

wordguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the odo and speedo problems be related, or am I missing some trick of German engineering? I would think fixing one would fix the other.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it's got to feel good to make some progress on the repairs overall. Ad you'll be back on the road soon!

-Alan
  2. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speedo hasn't worked since we got the bike, but the odo issue is new since a couple of days after BMW Santiago. If they're related, there's something like an 18k mile gap between showing up.

Hopefully the Chain Gang guys at the Rally will have a suggestion re: the odo (or speedo, although I doubt they'll have the part sitting around at the Rally.)

Thanks for the well-wishes, though! We rode on Sunday to a Yankee Beemer breakfast meeting, and I ran errands on the bike today and it feels SO good to be on the bike again! (Also, I seem to have gained like a zillion levels in riding ability since leaving Boston...)

New shock is quite stiff but it does give the bike an almost sporty ride. Now I kinda wanna upgrade the front forks...

Oh, I forgot - apparently part of the front end vibration I was experiencing was because my front wheel has a dent in it. I can't see it but that's the tech's diagnosis. So I rode from Colombia to Argentina with a collapsed rear shock and a dented front wheel....
  3. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:

If you go back, everyone told them it wasn't worth it, and your math is correct, it doesn't make the least bit of sense...

From a money only point of view.

There is the emotional POV, which is hard to put a pricetag on.
  4. tphilpin

tphilpin Most interesting man

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing, although both didn't need to go back to get the bikes, and someone could have been contracted / hired to do the transfer, dismantling, crating, etc... even hiring a motorcycle shop / mechanic to do the work, at a fraction of the cost of flying two bodies down to do it personally and then recruiting help locally anyway. One might think differently if it was a one year old GSA, but I think selling the bikes would have been the best "financial move" although import duties may have come into play as an additional expense even if sold as parts.
  5. wordguy

wordguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know THAT feeling. Bike mods are like potato chips; you can't stop at just one.

-Alan
  6. masukomi

masukomi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quickie response because on phone:

Knowing then what we know now we'd do exactly the same thing. You're missing a crucial detail. You can't sell your bike in Argentina. We detailed the reasons why in this thread earlier.

And even by your math we're still ahead of the game by a litte $ and we don't have to go bike hunting and we don't have bikes that are unknown quantities, and we get to keep the bikes that took us amost half-way around the planet.

Actually, i would change one thing . I'd have sold the stock at the beginning of the trip and not needed to deal with storage and flying back to pick them up.
  7. PlasticSun

PlasticSun Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response, it sounds like it is not all that uncommon for people riding bikes from the US to Argentina to be a bit upside down value wise on the bikes at the end of the journey. Someone riding a clapped out KLR for 40K miles would have a hard time getting the 1500-2500 dollars in shipping cost back out of the bike when they return to the states.

I understand that it's extremely difficult if not impossible to legally sell your bike to another Argentinian for purposes of riding on the road as a registered vehicle, but as far as I'm aware the TVIP is not tied to your passport, granted that's just what I've gleaned from other travelers on the HUBB.

It seems within reason that you could "donate" your bikes to someone who wanted them for parts and in exchange receive a fraction of the bikes value in cash. Again this is just my speculation based of reading accounts on the HUBB.

Assuming the rules have changed and now things are different with the TVIP being tied to your passport or passport number would you be obligated to remove the bike from the country at your own expense even it if was scrapped in an accident?

I'm glad that you're very happy with the decision to have your preferred bikes back in the states and all tuned back up, but if you or anyone knows more about selling/donating the bikes for parts/scrap I'd be interested to learn more.
  8. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bugger the cost I reckon it must be fantastic to be riding the bikes that you road all the way down. Very cool to have bikes with a story - cant buy that!( whats that advert say - Priceless )
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that Max BMW service either is not real competant or they screwed ya'll pretty good. Or maybe a little of both.
  10. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, we were told by Argentinians who deal with this stuff on a daily basis (Dakar Motos and the place where we stored the bikes) that the only way to leave a bike in the country is to report it stolen or to "drop it off a cliff." I assume that if your bike is totaled in Argentina you'd have a report stating that. The Argentinian laws are designed to prevent people from illegally importing bikes.

Also, from what we were told, the TVIP is somehow tied to the person who brought the bike in. So if we ever tried to come back in the future with a diff bike without legally checking these bikes out of Argentina, it would raise a red flag at the border. And we'd be subject to all of the fees for leaving a vehicle in the country after the TVIP expired and still be legally obligated to get it out of the country.

Sandra said the system has gotten much more strict in the past few years, and computerized, so now its a lot more difficult to "grease the wheels" to get illegal stuff done.

Maybe it's easier to take a bike to Uruguay and abandon (or sell) it there, but not in Argentina.
  11. PlasticSun

PlasticSun Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks for the info!
  12. vidd

vidd how was your lamb?

Oddometer:
    yup. what he said.
  13. trackpete

trackpete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to add a bit more confusion to the topic of leaving bikes in AR (note that my bike is Peruvian, which may confuse things):

1. I left my bike in Salta and flew to Lima for a week via BA. If any immigrations/customs control would be tapped into some computer system to alert on me leaving or entering without the bike it'd be BA, but not a single person mentioned anything about it. I asked the guy when I left, after he stamped my passport, if he needed to do anything with my custom's form for the bike I was leaving behind temporarily and he looked at me like I was crazy and told me to just go. (Peru also didn't care that I returned without my bike)

2. I received many offers by people throughout AR to buy my moto. Every single person said they would just use it around town and wouldn't have any problems and that nobody tracks it on the other side. In Ushuaia a guy even showed me his stock of various bikes he'd bought off people "illegally."

3. Customs in Tierra del Fuego told me that I wouldn't be able to leave the country without my bike, even by airplane for an emergency. They said even with a police report saying it was stolen or totaled, I'd have to pay a percentage of the cost of the bike in a fine and if it was ever caught driving around without me afterwards I could get in trouble if I tried to come back.

So, based on my experiences combined with what everyone else is saying, I think it sounds more like Argentina may have some laws and rules in place about this but doesn't actually do any enforcement... yet.

At some point they may flip a switch somewhere though - as others have indicated, they definitely enter all the vehicle data into a computer system, since the customs form you get is a printout from their data entry (rather than you filling out a form to give to them to enter into a computer as it is for most other places).
  14. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all - just a quick note to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who stopped us at the BMW MOA Rally to say hi and tell us that they enjoyed reading our RR! I'll admit it was a bit weird at first to have strangers recognize us, but we both really appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to chat with us for a few minutes and tell us that they really enjoyed reading everything. We loved getting the comments here, of course, but it's something else entirely to have people walk up to us in the street and start chatting. We had a blast talking to all of you!

And, as usual, a big shout out to the fine folks at RevZilla! It was great seeing all of you again! We appreciate you taking time out of your busy days at the rally to chat with us!

We also had the honor of meeting Jack Broomall of "Slow Way Across - 2 Strokes Across America... Vintage Guys on Vintage Bikes!" We'd read a bit about Jack and Don's journey before they started (RevZilla posted it), and I'm having fun catching up on their report now. It was really cool to meet and chat with someone who did such an epic trip on such a small, inappropriate bike - makes us even more excited for the TAT on 50cc scoots! (And it was weird to meet someone we'd read about who said he's read about us... so strange! But it was awesome to meet you, Jack!)

So thanks to everyone for making our first BMW MOA Rally extra special! We loved hearing from all of you, and we're so glad you've enjoyed following along! We'll do our best to make sure our next adventure is just as epic and entertaining.
  15. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    Kay and Dachary,

I'm sorry I missed getting to talk to you at the rally, I saw you and Kay crossing the lane just as I was exiting the Fairgrounds. I yelled out to Kay as I was passing by, I was on a red K1200RS.
  16. Maritime Mike

Maritime Mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your RR. I must admit, you give my dream of having my wife hop on a bike some hope. I would like us to have some adventures of our own.

She took a small tumble three years back, never got on again. But I'm holding out she will return. I love both your enthusiasm and sense of adventure. It's intoxicating to say the least.

Continue to send us your great reports. Will be keeping an eye on your blog.
  17. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    So my 10 year old son and I were waiting in line to buy a hotdog at the MOA.

I ask the couple in front of me: "Do you know what it's like to be famous because your picture's on the internet?"

Meet Dachary and Kay. :D

Good meeting you both. :thumb
  18. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailled RR. It was a fun read. I'm glad you guys achieved your goals and got back home safe and sound....:freaky
  19. FolkGirl

FolkGirl Guitar Slinger

Oddometer:
    Soooooo.......... did you take any pics at the rally??:ear
  20. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aww, bummer! I thought I heard someone yell "Kay!" at one point but I looked around and there wasn't anyone standing around trying to get our attention - I must have just missed seeing you ride by on the bike. Hope you had fun at the rally, and maybe we'll get a chance to chat in the future!

Did I by any chance see you two later hanging with the Yankee Beemers? If not, you and your son both had dopplegangers at the rally. (And if so, are you members of the YBs? In which case we'll probably see you again soon!)

Heh… Sadly, no. I felt strongly that we were OFF DUTY and wanted to just focus on enjoying. And Kay's camera apparently got turned on during the ride there somehow and the battery was drained when he tried to use it (and we didn't bring the charger because he had just charged it and thought it should be good for just a few days.)

So we have not a single pic from the Rally!

But there's a slideshow put together by the Yankee Beemers who were camped not far from me….

And then of course there is the awesome video that RevZilla put together of the event…

Enjoy!

We're looking forward to the Damn Yankees rally coming up next weekend… it'll be our first local rally and it's in a really pretty area of Mass. If any of you are in the New England area and wanna come join us, I think it'll be a great time!

In other news, we're now looking at Nova Scotia for our next little mini-adventure. Looks do-able, albeit short, on the week and a half of vacation that Kay has left for the year. We'll probably head up in August or September sometime - gotta look at weather and planning logistics. Much more low-key, obviously, and I'm not sure whether we'll blog it. But if we do, and y'all are interested in a less epic RR, we'll post the link in here.