Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dachary, Dec 6, 2010.

1. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    to clarify... you two went from Boston to Ushuaia and back in 4 months?
  2. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode from Boston to Ushuaia in about 3.5 months. Then we rode back to Buenos Aires and flew home. Would have loved more time, would have loved to ride all the way back - but our budget and our housing arrangements constrained us to this timeline.

Next time will be a longer trip (RTW, I'm hoping).
  3. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    did you feel rushed only taking 3.5 months?
  4. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question!

Yes... and no.

We both really love riding. So getting up in the morning and getting on the road was something we really enjoyed doing every day.

If we'd had more time, we might have stayed a few days here and there just for a little R&R. And we might have taken more side trips, more dirt roads, etc. instead of feeling the need to push ever southward to hit Ushuaia before the weather turned too bad. But we still would have been riding every day, and most of the time we didn't feel particularly pushed to ride a certain distance - we just got up in the morning, rode until we got tired (or it was about to get dark) and stopped. In that respect, it was perfect!

There were a couple of things in South America we didn't have time to do, which I still wish we'd been able to do - at one point, it looked like a decision between seeing Machu Picchu and the salt flats of Bolivia - the Salar de Uyuni. We didn't have time to do both. I knew that Kay had *really* been looking forward to the Salar, and we rationalized that if we really wanted to, we could always fly in and see Machu Picchu on a tour or something - the way thousands of people do it every year. So we chose to skip Machu Picchu and see the Salar, instead. (It helped that we had hit SO MANY ruins in Central America - we were getting sort of "ruined out.")

But we had a limited timeframe to do the Salar. And unfortunately, we ascended into Bolivia too quickly - and I didn't start taking altitude sickness pills far enough ahead of time - and I had quite a severe reaction to the altitude change. If we'd had an extra week, I could have stuck around long enough to acclimatize. As it was, though, we were limited in time, so we decided (and I still feel was the right decision) to get me down to a lower altitude and skip the Salar.

It's still on my bucket list of things to see. And the area around Laguna Colorado is supposed to be spectacular - it's on my to-do list. So if we'd had longer, we would have done both those things.

On the other hand, by around 3 months into it, we were traveling so much without break that we were starting to get a little fatigued and homesick. All I wanted to do was sit still for a while. We were ready to come home at the end of the trip. So in that respect, it was enough time.

It can be done in less time. For us, 3.5 months was a good rate and fairly leisurely. If I'd had just 2 more weeks, it probably would have been perfect. But everyone travels at a different pace - a couple of guys we met did it in about 6-8 weeks, and another couple we met did it in 8+ months. It's all about individual travel styles, what works for your timeframe, etc.
  5. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read your report last year, It was the first RR I read, and It was before buying my bike.

Dachary, I wanted t thank you you were an inspiration to get into this kind of motorcycling it was super interesting specially you being relatively new when you took such a big trip.

Now after a few thousand miles I totally get severall things about your travelling stlyle :clap

Look forward to read your RR when you embark in the trip with the dogs.

If you and Kay ever return to Mexico drop me a line I'll be glad to ride with you!

Cheers
  6. Flys Lo

Flys Lo cool hand fluke

Oddometer:
    Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I spotted your sticker at the Peruvian Aduana on the border to Bolivia (Copocabana), thought you might be interested to know that its still there (btw, thanks for the report, helped provide inspiration for my decision to GTFO).

Adrian
  7. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, we love hearing stuff like that! Thanks for sharing this - inspiring people to get out and ride is one of our big goals in writing stuff up, sharing, etc. - I'm glad my newbish trials and tribulations could help you make the decision to get into motorcycling, and may you have many happy miles!

If you have time and wouldn't mind, drop us a line at runaways@corporaterunaways.com - we'd love to run some questions by you.

(And we may take you up on meeting up in Mexico sometime - we keep remembering our Americas trip fondly and musing on how much of it we enjoyed - I think it's just a matter of time before we ride the Americas again, but RTW first!)

Awesome! Thanks, Adrian - it truly made our day to hear this :) (I got an email notification and shared it with Kay, but forgot to post here in response when you posted this.) Anyway, we loved leaving our sticker around various spots and it's super cool to know it's still there and other people are spotting it!

Glad you GTFO, and I hope you're having an excellent trip!

General update: we've been posting stuff on our Corporate Runaways blog about shopping for a Ural, our reasoning behind going Ural instead of doing something else to bring the dogs, etc. We'll be posting there as we go through the process of shopping for and modding the Ural - we may still poke in here occasionally but we view this is a new trip so it doesn't really belong here.

But we'll DEFINITELY post in here when we start the next trip and start our next RR! (We're hoping for late this year or sometime next year for our RTW - depends on how things go this summer, when we get the Ural, how the process of acclimating the dogs goes, and how the rest of the finances are lining up.)
  8. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After much waiting and some minor starting-gate difficulties, we've picked up our new toy last Friday...

[​IMG]
    Kay with the new 2012 Ural Patrol by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Checking out the awesome trunk space by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

We drove down to Twisted Throttle on Saturday to pick up a bag for the rack (and work on putting the first 500km on it):

[​IMG]
    Ural from the sidecar by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Twisted Throttle DrySpec D38 Rigid Waterproof Motorcycle dry bag by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

And then we worked on taking the dogs out in it to start acclimating them:

[​IMG]
    Dogs meet Ural by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mounting the sidecar door by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Ben & Bandido after their first real ride. by CorporateRunaways, on Flickr

We're posting about the break-in process, acclimating the dogs, etc. on our blog: Corporate Runaways.

We've got a trip planned to Colorado in July, which will tell us how the dogs will do on a bigger trip and how we feel after about 3 weeks of riding this thing around. We'll probably start a RR for that trip here on ADV.

And if all goes well, maybe next year we'll be setting off on a RTW with the dogs :)
  9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    Awesome "New Toy!" :D Congratulations, looks like a nice fit! :clap:clap Enjoy! :evil
  10. charliemike

charliemike wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my pooch and would love to take him on a trip with me....and I like sidecars .... just dont see myself enjoying driving/one around.....but that sure would be a cool trip RTW with your pooches. I'm in your corner...make it so!
  11. c5babe

c5babe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where are you guys? Did you ever start a RTW? I went up to Alaska and back with my husband, and we're thinking maybe Europe in 2016. After that, maybe Panama and beyond.
  12. ktmissouri

ktmissouri Racer turned Rider

Oddometer:
    They are still posting in their Corporate Runaways blog. They went on a ill fated trip in a VW vanagon.

See link below

BOS -> CO - 2 dogs in a Ural - 2012
    Find us on SPOT
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Links don't work.
  14. ktmissouri

ktmissouri Racer turned Rider

Oddometer: