Corvallis ADV Night at Flat Tail

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by KillerD, Jan 10, 2014.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    58 in the coastal range , end to end.
    Nice woods ride.
    Started west of Alsea on hwy 34.
    Ended on coast near Sea Lions cave.
    Gassed up in Philomath, 100 miles to 101.
    No houses, stores or building to be seen on 58 after you get off Hwy 34.
    P5100096.JPG P5100120.JPG P5100200.JPG

Attached Files:

Chip Seal likes this.
  2. DiggerD

Oddometer:
  3. DiggerD

Oddometer:
  4. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since we're on the topic of 5800rd -
    Can anyone shed light on this water tank?

IMG_2685.jpg

I can't remember exactally, but somewhere around 1055 rd. It's just off the road in a minor drainage
    DiggerD and keith_38317 like this.
  5. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    1055 ?

Edit: I see it now.

Rock Creek. North of Heceta Head Light House.
    Fairview Mtn Road. I think I see a gate on it.

The Pawn site is to the east....and down hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawn,_Oregon

1055 is on the last map I posted.
    Steam Donkeys used lots of water.
    I have topo maps and water was very important in fighting fires.
    They marked the map with every place they could find to pump water into their fire trucks.
    The maps are marked with a P.C. ~ Pump Chance.
    Also used as dust control.
    I learned a few days ago that water was also used to cool log truck brakes. see post #465 https://advrider.com/f/threads/historic-logging-sites-and-equipment.1288317/page-24
    That little breather top would usually have a screen on it...if so it would usually mean people intended to use it for drinking water.

If the tank was set up for gravity feed, which way would the water flow?
    South east would flow to the old Pawn Site.

That tank looks vaguely familiar. Might have some thing to do with rate of travel. :D
  6. Righty65

Righty65 Wet behind the ears

Oddometer:
    Thanks DD!
  7. Renaissanceman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, Digger - I figured you might have seen it a time or two.
    I rode 1055 a few years ago, and I seem to remember thinking I wouldn't do that one again. Long gravel haul road?
    I'm pretty sure that tank was on the paved stretch of 58 - that would explain your speed?
    Another couple weeks and it'll be completely covered in poison oak and brambles - I couldn't tell how old it was, but not too old? Seems like it wouldn't be big enough to hold more than a few hundred gallons - one map I was looking at showed a spring nearby, but a different drainage over.
    No doubt a reliable source for some logging outfit or another.

Attached Files:

Getnout likes this.
  8. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    edit opppssss. 86 is long gone 08 is still available. Just got a PM from owner
  9. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Top Shelf PCT RR on KTM690E
    Camp gear + 2-3 days of food down to 35 lbs.

Worthy quote from RR: ( nor cal )
    "After a fill-up on food and fuel, I started what would be one of the best days of riding I’d had, maybe ever. Followed NF roads up Walker Ck., along Slinkard Ridge, past Lake Mountain, Rancheria Spring, Yellowjacket Spring and down Tompkins Ck. to Scott River road. Super fun riding and fantastic scenery! "

https://advrider.com/f/threads/foll...-sort-of-from-canada-south-to-lassen.1412686/[​IMG]
    Righty65 likes this.
  10. 2much2do

2much2do Motorpsychlist

Oddometer:
    Saturday I was messing around up Canyon Cr (2022) off of US20 looking for potential primitive campsites. When I came to the 2026 I decided to see how far I could make it toward the Calapooia (2820). I had tried a couple of times from the Calapooia side, but kept getting stopped by downed trees. This time it was clear and I was able to do the whole loop. :clap
    Also loving a new Rallz rear tire. :ricky
    NotAllWhoWanderRLost and Getnout like this.
  11. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Hey , 22, that's some cool software.
  12. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    That this Hipsters. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    NotAllWhoWanderRLost likes this.
  13. CrackedCanyon

CrackedCanyon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    He can't drive ~ fifty five ~
    Taken on I-5 in Cali.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Digger, thanks for the commentary on the water tank near Pawn, Or. I have seen thousands of photos of steam yarders and donkey's, but I don't remember more than one or two showing a water supply. It was a "well duh" moment for me. Yet another set of skills, water tank building and moving, that would have been required to steam log. dd
    DiggerD likes this.
  16. DiggerD

Oddometer:

Fond of the wooden water tanks myself, being a carpenter in a past life.
    Used the same tech report in multi classes in college on wooden hot tubes, the making of slats and all.
    Need to start taking more photos of the water tanks...before they are history.
    I know of one in my 'hood that would be a nice kick off.
    On a farm so they have it up on stilts may be 20 feet. Hummm….thanks for the idea.
    Always looking for a theme for a ride.
  17. Renaissanceman

Oddometer:
    One thing that made me wonder if this is a more contemporary tank, is that it's been wrapped with veneer or plywood. Could be staves underneath, and someone has repaired or patched it.
    There was no obvious outlet hose or pipe I could find, though I didn't go digging too deep into the poison oak.
    A good winter project
  18. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Ha...veneer or plywood...a hobo might pop out!

Slats.....I KNEW that was WRONG.....DUFF.....

Thanks for keeping it real Bob.

Barrels are constructed in cooperages. The traditional method of European coopers has been to hand-split the oak into staves (or strips) along the grain. After the oak is split, it is allowed to "season" or dry outdoors while exposed to the elements. This process can take anywhere from 10 to 36 months during which time the harshest tannins from the wood are leached out. These tannins are visible as dark gray and black residue left on the ground once the staves are removed. The longer the wood is allowed to season the softer the potential wine stored in the barrels may be but this can add substantially to the cost of the barrel. In some American cooperage the wood is dried in a kiln instead of outdoor seasoning. While this method is much faster, it does not soften the tannins quite as much as outdoor seasoning.[17]

The staves are then heated, traditionally over an open fire, and, when pliable, are bent into the desired shape of the barrel and held together with iron rings. Instead of fire, a cooper may use steam to heat up the staves but this tends to impart less "toastiness" and complexity to the resulting wine. Following the traditional, hand worked style, a cooper is typically able to construct one barrel in a day's time. Winemakers can order barrels with the wood on the inside of the barrel having been lightly charred or toasted with fire, medium toasted, or heavily toasted.[17] Typically the "lighter" the toasting the more oak flavor and tannins that are imparted. Heavy toast or "charred" which is typical treatment of barrels in Burgundy wine have an added dimension from the char that medium or light toasted barrels do not impart.[7] Heavy toasting dramatically reduces the coconut note lactones, even in American oak, but create a high carbon content that may reduce the coloring of some wines. During the process of toasting, the furanic aldehydes in the wood reach a higher level of concentration. This produces the "roasted" aroma in the wine. The toasting also enhances the presences of vanillin and the phenol eugenol which creates smokey and spicy notes that in some wines are similar to the aromatics of oil of cloves.[18]
  19. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Water tank in my 'hood, and what the tank gets to looka at all day, Mary's Peak. P5150237.JPG P5150238.JPG P5150239.JPG P5150240.JPG
    CrackedCanyon likes this.
  20. CrackedCanyon

CrackedCanyon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a seriously cool looking water tower, Digger!
    dammitdave and DiggerD like this.