Corvallis ADV Night at Flat Tail

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by KillerD, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a view!
    Growing up in the Midwest, those windmills were a familiar sight, but I've never seen a setup like that with a tank up on legs.
    I bet there's a pretty good head of water come outa that spigot!

About coopers - I watched a guy turn a pile of split sticks into a pail using planes and drawknives - mostly by eye - all while talking and telling stories. He'd made a thousand of em!

I built a bunch of cabinet fronts from reclaimed redwood wine tanks. The real deal - not anything like what you see today. Old growth and quartersawn - the grain was so tight, you could barely see the rings to count them.
  2. CrackedCanyon

CrackedCanyon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't suppose you kept any pictures? I'd love to see those.
  3. keith_38317

keith_38317 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decided to get a ride in before the rain came through today. Was originally just tooling around Lobster Creek, but then got a wild hair and decided to head to the coast via Taylor Butte out to Perpetua.

Took a few detours up around Taylor Butte. Really interesting timber in the area. Little bit of old-growth, and a little bit of well-spaced farmed trees. Jumped a bobcat on the road and it hopped alongside my bike for a good 20 yards before dashing into the brush. Real cool. I usually avoid questionable two-track spurs, but couldn't resist a few up on the butte. Most of the time, the ends of these overgrown spurs is just a pile of Busch Lights and Swisher Sweet butts, but today I rode past an owl on one and a big 'ol hawk down another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeling that I had annoyed nature enough, I blasted along the '32 roads. Man the gravel up there is great. Looks like I was following the relatively fresh tracks of two fellow enthusiasts --judging by the dark ruts and gravel spray in the turns, it appears they were at a spirited pace.

[​IMG]

Was going to stop and visit Mr. Maderis but I spaced out and missed the spot. Made my way off the mountain and down to the beach.

[​IMG]

Saw the squalls out at sea and knew I needed to make haste back on 34 to stay dry. Man, sometimes I forget how prime some of the highway corners around Digger are... Even with knobs.
  4. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    You can pay your respects to Mr. Maderis here.

Did you know they straighten the road out some years back around Digger?
    That's where my nick name came from when I railed the corners in front of my buds, before they tamed the corners. P5100132.JPG P5100133.JPG P5100134.JPG P5100135.JPG

Lyman Maderis was the son of Samuel N. A. Medaris and Annie McMahan. Born in Spencer, Owen Co., Indiana, Lyman died of exposure during a snow storm as he was attempting to cross the Coast Range in western Lane County, Oregon. He was 17 years old at the time of his death. His mother predecesed him. His father Samuel Medaris died on 26 April 1922 on Ten Mile Creek in Lane County, Oregon. The only surviving family members of the father were adult children John R. Medaris and Beulah Medaris, both of Bicknell, Knox Co., Indiana.

Lyman's story is well written up in Lane County histories. For example please see "Maderis Tragedy" by Historian, in the Siuslaw Pioneer (1978), Siuslaw Pioneer Museum, Florence, OR.

The Maderis grave is located at the junction of two forest service roads (Rd. 37 & Rd. 58) in the Siuslaw National Forest, Township 15 South, Range 10 West, Section 32; approximately 36 miles from Florence.
    dammitdave and keith_38317 like this.
  5. jfk22

jfk22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey hey y'all. Just a heads up...the Eugene Police are reporting a recent increase in motorcycle thefts, some being taken out of peoples back yards in the middle of the night. Fan of disc locks? You might not be after watching this...
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big chain attached to something big, lights, dog, gun...
  7. albacore

albacore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of putting together a quick overnighter and wondering if 5694 that runs along Cummins Ridge goes all the way through to FS-55? The Benchmark shows it going through but my GPS shows it stopping just short.

It's been about 25yrs since I've been down that way and I'm looking forward to it, lots of good memories steelhead fishing Tenmile and Big Creeks.
  8. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Where you trying to get / go?

The grave site above can be reached by the road that goes to Cape Perpettula look out.
    Just hang a right half way up the hill.
    If coming south on 101, fill up with gas in Waldport first.
    Next gas is Florence or Deadwood on 36 and has clear gas. Alsea has gas....sort of. Philomath has clear gas.
    All good fun, but not many venture back there, so don't fall off the road. You might not see any one....really.
  9. CrackedCanyon

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've done that one - but someone on here probably has.

I find a lot of errors on the Benchmark maps. My favorite map is the "us: USFS+relief (CalTopo)" map layer on gpsvisualizer.com - it's wrong occasionally, but rarely. It shows 5694 going along Tenmile Ridge and connecting to 55:

5694.JPG

5694-2.JPG
    Righty65 and Getnout like this.
  10. albacore

albacore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the correction, I meant Tenmile Ridge. I'd like to take 5694, 55, then down 5590 to Yachats River Rd then 53 all the way to Eckman Lake/Waldport. From there it's probably 101 to Kernville, FS-17 then assorted gravel to Mt Hebo and beyond. I've done the stretch from Rose Lodge to Trask so I'm not too concerned there but the south end I'm not sure about. Have you done 5590 or FS-53 to Eckman? If I can make a fun route from Tenmile Creek to Waldport I should be good to go.

My plan's fairly ambitious but it's trying to make it to the Nestucca or Trask rivers with as little pavement as possible.
    Getnout likes this.
  11. CrackedCanyon

Oddometer:
    Can't remember if I've done 5590. On the USFS map, it shows it as paved - so I would think it likely would be ungated. Anyone else know?

5590.JPG

I did this route to Eckman a year ago or so:

Eckman.JPG

On that same trip, I did Yachats River Road to 53 to Canal Creek - can't remember if I looked at 53 where I turned off it, to see if it was viable.

53.JPG
    Getnout likes this.
  12. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Can't go bad with any route in this area for nice roads.

All depends if you want to get some where else, or you just want to ride good roads.

What a guy could do is start at the coast, pick any east to west road, ride east until you hit the 5800 main line that runs north / south, go north or south until you hit the next east / west road and back out to the coast.

That might be my next plan of attack for this area.
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ten Mile Ridge goes through. You'll never be on a more weird road. My GPS shows that road as the 'Million Dollar Highway'. It's tiny two track on both ends, but the ridge it is two lane, center stripe, curbs, etc.

53 goes all the way from Yachats River Rd to Hwy 34. Comes out next to the slough just outside Waldport at the 55 mph sign. It's paved from just beyond where CCyn turned off.
    keith_38317, albacore and Getnout like this.
  14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    5590 is open and mostly paved. Comes out on Yachats River Rd right as the pavement ends. I remember it's called Keller Creek on that end.
    Getnout likes this.
  15. CrackedCanyon

Oddometer:
    Well, shit - I need to check that out!
  16. Yachatian

Yachatian n00b

Oddometer:
    The 5800 is tons of fun! Lots of great routes both east and west off of it as well... Have you done the Five Rivers to Buck Creek option?
    You rode right through my back yard... your key is on my house in your picture, right next to Keller Creek...
    Cheers,
    Nathan
    Getnout likes this.
  17. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Just 40 years worth of riding your back yard.
    My nick name for the bridge at Buck Creek is Dog Bridge.....had a streak of years I would always see a dog on the bridge.
    Later on in the summer, I like stopping on the bridge and looking into the water for red cray fish or crawdads.
    Righty65 likes this.
  18. orforester

orforester Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can go up 5694 and connect with5800 on top and go crazy. Come out at Alsea, Waldport , Deadwood or 5 Rivers. Be sure and gas up
    Getnout likes this.
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Nathan, how's the 950 running now? How's business?
  20. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to report Prairie Pk is in excellent form - almost like it's been bladed. Someone oughta drift some lines through those corners before it gets tracked out

Adjustments.jpg