Corvallis ADV Night at Flat Tail

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by KillerD, Jan 10, 2014.

1. KillerD

KillerD BoozeMagician

Oddometer:
    Whelp, the Yachats commute has officially put the nail in my winter riding coffin....too impossible to predict the wind/ice, and I’m tired of the perma-pucker. On the plus side, it did inspire a new mode of adventure....well, that and the $2,500 friend of a friend discount!

2000 4Runner SR5, 5spd stick, 4x4, 180k on the clock. Not as much fun as 2 wheels, but WAY more fun in 80mph cross winds over the Newport bridge, and pretty darn adventure worthy even in stock trim. Will be putting new shocks and springs on with a fresh set of rubber first, then a hitch winch and eventually a modes 2” lift. Will probably stop there (other than a dirt bike platform on the back).

had a blast out in the metolius / three creeks area this weekend, though I’d prefer not to jump in the river after our 14 year old dog again if possible.

Attached Files:

Oldschoolrocker and Getnout like this.
  2. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    "Whelp, the Yachats commute has officially put the nail in my winter riding coffin

Glad you came to your senses...concerned friends of yours were on the look out for a cage for you to slip and slid in out to the coast and back.

We'll have you know you almost got gifted a 2002 pearl white 2002 Caddy, the smaller one. Sweet ! !
    Looked cherry on all 3 sides. Rear passenger door ...not so much. :photog:photog

We were concerned about a character / influence change tho.........:D:D:D:lol3:lol3:lol3
    dammitdave and KillerD like this.
  3. KillerD

KillerD BoozeMagician

Oddometer:
    Oh i'd make that caddy look gooooooood:lol3! Thanks for lookin out, friends. Appreciate the hell out of it. Dan from ColdFire (DansRC51)another good friend, introduced me to a buddy of his, who gave me the screaming deal...even if it werent potentially a matter of life and death, I still would have jumped on it! Now I just have to find time to make it to Zubers so its dirt bike capable.
    Dansrc51 and DiggerD like this.
  4. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_3218.jpg

Glad you kept your day job, Killer.
    Well done Dave and Emma - Good luck!

Cheers all!
    Righty65 and DiggerD like this.
  5. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Wishing great summer 2021 travels to all.
    [​IMG]
    CrackedCanyon likes this.
  6. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Short Stack 20 years out.[​IMG]
  7. jfk22

jfk22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was almost me once, out hunting years ago and I inadvertently interrupted a sow black bear with two cubs. Damn she was pissed. Long story but she gave me an out so I didn't have to shoot her. I never knew I could run that fast.
  8. jfk22

jfk22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey ya'll, I logged in this morning hoping someone out there has a favorite local Honda powersports dealer with an awesome service department. I've been borrowing my Dads new atv (rubicon foreman) which is an awesome machine by the way until this morning when it wouldn't start and then after I solved that it wouldn't shift into gear (electric shift tranny) until I played some games with it. Now it's back to normal but something's obviously wrong with the tranny. I buy used machines and I've always done my own wrenching so I never have a reason to form an opinion about dealers and their service departments but since this thing isn't mine and it's still under warranty my Dad will want to have a dealer go through the tranny. The thing is, it's working again so I/he needs to find a dealer that's not going to shrug it off and just say 'no problem found' but will take the time to ponder what the problem might be and deal with it. Or I need to hope it does it again soon when it's right in front of my shop and not down in the meadow and then don't do anything to fix it and trailer it somewhere. He lives in Eugene but bought it in Florence, a long trip. Fred's is long gone, and I think the Eugene dealer is more of a tractor store these days. I was in Albany the other day and noticed I-5 Sports on Pacific Blvd but have no idea it they have any skills. So...anyone got a shop they like? thanks.
  9. DiggerD

Oddometer:
  10. DiggerD

Oddometer:
  11. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    The buddy system.
    How many hands do you see?

[​IMG]
  12. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    There is a rebuild to original going on in Alaska of I believe this very bike by Fast Idle.
    I tried to research if I got the story correct, but it is a very popular thread with a lot of photos and feed back.
    Plus Fast Idle is just that...a fast builder.

Meanwhile back in the shop-Alaska | Page 268 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
  13. CrackedCanyon

CrackedCanyon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold the KLR250 Sunday. That was much harder than selling the 650. I loved that little bike. To be honest, I had more fun on that bike than on any of my others. But it fell prey to what Zuber warned me about when I started acquiring multiple bikes...you gotta ride them all regularly, keep all the gas fresh, keep the batteries charged, keep 'em maintained. So I'm down to the DRZ and the 1090.

Thanks to @DiggerD for suggesting I try a lighter bike when I was trying to learn to ride a few years ago, and thanks to @Righty65 for supplying said lighter bike.

DSCF1240.JPG
    Getnout likes this.
  14. SpiderGuy

SpiderGuy PNW Rider

Oddometer:
    Parker Falls - Marys Peak
    It was 48 degrees and partly sunny when I left Corvallis ...

PXL_20210220_235549368.jpg
    NTTF, Getnout and CrackedCanyon like this.
  15. CrackedCanyon

Oddometer:
    Anyone get out on any forest roads? I was up above Hoskins, and there were areas that looked like a tornado had touched down. Amazing what a little ice can do...
    Getnout likes this.
  16. SpiderGuy

SpiderGuy PNW Rider

Oddometer:
    My route this afternoon was Harris Rd from Wren, Tum Tum, Shot Pouch, Burnt Woods-Harlan Rd, FR30 to Marys Peak Rd. Headed toward the peak, but stopped at Parker Falls when I encountered snow on the road and snow falling. Back to Corvallis on Marys Peak Rd and Hwy 34. I didn't see as much ice damage on the route as I thought I might. There was an elevation range on Marys Peak Rd where there were lots of branches and maybe a few trees down - some still on the road. I assume this was due to meteorological conditions that enabled ice forming at this elevation. Nothing compared to the extensive ice damage I saw in Salem last week.
    Advdreamin and Getnout like this.
  17. CrackedCanyon

Oddometer:
    Classic route!

All the damage I saw was alder - the evergreens just lost small branches. And a lot of it was close to valley level. As you say, probably ideal ice conditions - maybe up higher was cold enough to snow instead?
    Getnout likes this.
  18. CrackedCanyon

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Shot Pouch, have you guys noticed that someone has cleaned up and fenced a cemetery up at the top of Shot Pouch? The work seems recent, though I'm famous for riding past things without noticing them.

Cemetery1.jpg

Cemetery2.jpg

Cemetery3.jpg

Cemetery4.jpg
    Chip Seal and Getnout like this.
  19. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made a run up Prairie Mtn Saturday. Rode up south fork rd from Hull-Oaks. I finally got to use my pack saw to move a couple tops that were laid across the road just a couple miles in, but the rest of the way was ridable. Green Peak falls was ripping! As was Alsea Falls...

The road up Prairie was mostly cut open, though there's still a hell of a lot of wood on the road.
    I rode up to Tobe ck rd where I turned around for the day. There was a fellow cutting out this tree at the very top of Tobe ck
    IMG_3197.jpg
    This is from a few weeks ago... I started up Tobe and was feeling good about getting all the way up and over only to see this at the very end. You can see Flat track road just on the other side.

That'll make a good stack of firewood!
    CrackedCanyon and Getnout like this.
  20. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the land owner can get to salvage the timber before it turns into fire wood.

That is one nice stick !

:D:D