Costa Rica advice

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by whizzerwheel, Oct 28, 2009.

1. GallopinTICO

GallopinTICO Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Can't wait to read your RR, lots of pics please:deal
  2. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Easily distracted Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR Punkinhead...we're really looking forward to our trip.
  4. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me who you rented from last year? Bad experience?

I am leaning towards renting form Costa Rican Trails because they have Aprila 650's and the seats look a lot more comfortable. The DR650 isn't looking to inviting, were going to spend most of the time 2 up bouncing from hotel to hotel.

Everyone seems to be going with Wild Rider, just wondering if the other guys are ok?

thanks
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Costa Rica's on my list.:deal
  6. whizzerwheel

Oddometer:

I'll let ya know how it wuz...soon. :D
  7. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    MCP,
    When you say that you are going to rent from Costa Rica Trials, are you talking about this company http://www.costaricamotorcycletours.com/ . I have never heard of the company you listed in your post.
    Another very good company which I have used several time with friends who visit is http://www.motocicletasbmw.com/eng/motorenta.html they are the BMW motorcycle dealer in Costa Rica. Thier name is Motocialeta BMW Costa Rica. Check the web site to get more info. They speak English.

I have alway found there equipment to be in top shape, and have never had a problem with the bikes or the service. The F 650 GS is the model we have rented. You can also get a top case with the bike, which is great for locking thing down when you walk away to do the touristy things.

Hope this helps.

BeachGuy
  8. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on BMW, I just called and there closed the day I fly home, that doesn't work, but I think they offer a good deal.

Still trying to decide, Aprila or DR650:ear
  9. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The reasons to pick Wild Rider (and the DR650) might not apply to you:
    1. He gives great route/hotel advice. You can probably get that from here in the forum, although it's really nice to sit down with Thorsten with a map and highlighter.
    2. He tolerates, maybe even encourages, offroad riding. This probably doesn't apply to you if you're 2-up.
    3. He and his crew speak English. As I mentioned in a previous post, Costa Rican Trails used English in our e-mails to setup the trip, but when we had trouble on the road we couldn't reach an English speaker. Even with my weak Spanish I was able to sort out the bike problem, so it's not a show stopper. Since you're location says Dominican Republic I assume you speak Spanish and this is a non-issue.
    I've never ridden one, but the seat on the Pegaso looks a lot more inviting than the DR650. However, make sure it's going to have some kind of rack for you to bungee a tail bag to. The pictures I've seen of Pegasos shows a really small rack that you're not going to get a very big bag on. The DR650 we rented from Wild Rider had a huge tail rack added. You could strap a very large duffel bag to it.

Don't sweat the decision too much. You'll probably want to ride to a new location each morning and get there early enough to get off the bike and do some other activity, in which case the DR650 is fine. It's only for a long (> 200 mile) day that the DR650 seat becomes an issue.
  10. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks PunkinHead
  11. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    You have done well. I have spent about two years in Costa Rica during the previous 5 years, 21 trips,to me it is the center of the universe. I rode from Indiana to San Jose this time last year and stayed three months before riding back to the states. Having traveled about 25,000 miles by motorcycle in Central America I feel the DR650 is the perfect bike. The l;ower seat hieght vs the KTM will be appreciated. Finding a flat and level road in CostaRica is a difficult thing. I road a VSTROM 1000 last year and wished I had ridden my DR650.

I have not rented a bike from Thorsten but have meet him and again feel you made a good decision. He seemed to be a good guy to me. Costa Rica people are the best people in the world. Please be considerate to them and they will do all possible to help you make your trip as enjoyable as possible. Sorry I don't return to CR until later in December or I would give you my CR phone number but the TICO's will always be willing to give assistance.

TravelGuy:clap

12. whizzerwheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement TG. Really looking forward to it. :rofl
  13. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Booked the airfare and the bike, the map just arrived, so I'm doing some planning.

Thinking of this route, what do you think?

Looking at your suggestion, San Jose to Dominical, just confirming this is a easy day ride form San Jose/ and Dominical is worth staying a night or two for exploring?

The ride north (2 up) to Puntarenus, what do you suggest, stop for a night mid way? Where?

We were going to take the ferry over to Paqera, from there south Playa Montezuma for a night? Suggestion for an area?

From there we were wanting to go north up the coast to Tamarindo? Is this road(s) ok?, places of interest to stay?

Were going over Christmas, so hopefully its dry. We have about 7 days. Is this to much for 7 days?

Any other hints suggestions are welcome.

thanks

14. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You packed yet?:deal
  15. randyisanomad

randyisanomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd skip Tamarindo and stay at one of the other beaches along the coast ... unless of course you happen to be LOOKING for pot and hookers.
  16. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure that would go over to well with my wife, so I'll pass on Tamarindo:lol3

so suggestions?

Are you saying skip that entire area?

17. Tico

Tico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MCP

Look for Bahía Junquillal (not Junquillal beach), from Liberia, take the Panamerican hyw to Nicaragua, about 40 km, in the intersection to Cuajiniquil turn left and about 15 kms you can find a Lodge called Santa Elena.
    Near the lodge is the "Refugio de vida silvestre, Bahía Junquillal", its a beautiful place, camping area is available in the park, and other services are near the park.

Oscar
  18. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

I found the lodge on the internet and have it marked. Any other areas you can suggest,

were looking for that kind of lodging, no resorts, and some hiking.
  19. whizzerwheel

Oddometer:
    Lets see....a pair of shorts, two pair of underwear, two pair of socks....yup, I'm all packed :rofl
  20. whizzerwheel

Oddometer:
    Remember....first and second rule of traveling in a foreign country....Don't drink the water and don't fxxk the wimmen.