Costa Rica advice

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by whizzerwheel, Oct 28, 2009.

1. randyisanomad

randyisanomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What Tico said. Dozens of beautiful beaches in Nicoya. The whole place just about is one big beach. Tamarindo itself is just a bit icky. Hit one of the other gorgeous beaches out there instead.
  2. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You wear socks with your flip flops?:huh

:lol3
  3. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Easily distracted Supporter

Oddometer:
    yea, over them...keeps the flip-flops from fallin off. :wink:
  4. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they white socks? :rofl
  5. whizzerwheel

Oddometer:
    Sometimes white with a green stripe around the top but usually dark blue. :D
  6. GallopinTICO

GallopinTICO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey MCP i would do exactly as i said before go to Domi then u can easily ride all the way from Domi to Puntarenas in 1 day or even half if u stop just for food and gas and if u really want to go to take the ferry to Paquera just star your day early 7am and i m shure you can take the 1:30pm ferry i have not been in Montezuma and Pauqera in a long time so i can't help you there as much as i will like, thinking on going back that way in january:evil but i can tell you that Mai Pais beach and all those areas are very different from dominical and beatifull as well, hope this help a little oh by the way from Domi to Puntarenas turist towns where to find just about anything are Quepos y Jaco beach lots of stores for the wife in Jaco if want any souvenirs :D
    quote=MCP]Booked the airfare and the bike, the map just arrived, so I'm doing some planning.

Thinking of this route, what do you think?

Looking at your suggestion, San Jose to Dominical, just confirming this is a easy day ride form San Jose/ and Dominical is worth staying a night or two for exploring?

The ride north (2 up) to Puntarenus, what do you suggest, stop for a night mid way? Where?

We were going to take the ferry over to Paqera, from there south Playa Montezuma for a night? Suggestion for an area?

From there we were wanting to go north up the coast to Tamarindo? Is this road(s) ok?, places of interest to stay?

Were going over Christmas, so hopefully its dry. We have about 7 days. Is this to much for 7 days?

Any other hints suggestions are welcome.

thanks[/quote]
  7. fishdawgz

fishdawgz living the dream

Oddometer:
    MCP,
    Your trip sounds great....I spend winters in CR, but won't be there until mid-January...My wife and I stay about 20 minutes North of Tamarindo, and I can recommend great places to stay and eat as well as some fun things to do if you've got a free day (e.g. canopy tours on ATVs). PM me with contact info if interested and I can give you names of places and a rough 1-2 day itinerary that will be memorable.

John

90 XT250 in CR
    98 & 99 XR400s
    06 CRF250
  8. whizzerwheel

Oddometer:
    Leaving for Costa on Tuesday...with all the great information from helpful people on this thread, I'm ready.

Thanks very much :jinx
  9. Mr Farkle

Mr Farkle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are those on this thread with far more CR experience than me; I've only been there twice. What a great place. :ricky

If you're heading south out of San Jose after noon I would recommend avoiding the Pan Am (Cerro de la muerta / Pass of death). It climbs to 11,000 feet and will likely be shrouded in fog by 3pm. I've taken it twice but would never do it with my wife on the bike. It was exhilarating but pretty dangerous.

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_de_la_Muerte

Wild-Rider worked for us. Have a great trip!
  10. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fishdawgz - Pm'd you

Mr Farkle - thats exactly what I was planning, so I will likely stay in SJ then leave early or change our route.

When I'm not here (DR) I live on the BC coast - I'm not a fan of fog.
  11. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    You suck.

Hope you both have a great time, Dave!:clap Post up tons-O-pics when you get home...puh-leeeeeeze.
  12. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You coulda' mentioned that a year ago. :D

[​IMG]
  13. GallopinTICO

GallopinTICO Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Buen viaje
  14. GHANTCR

GHANTCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I got to this thread a bit late, but I live in Costa Rica, and have been going over the areas you mention many times in the past few months.

If you need any guidance, pm me.

You can take the Road from San Jose, to Jaco and then drive down to dominical, and avoid the so called "Cerro de la Muerte", avoid going through there in the afternoon or nights, too cold and foggy.

From Jaco to dominical at legal speed will be a trip of 1.5 hours.
  15. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Ok. Where's the pics and report, Dave?:ddog :D

Wasn't the snow purty when you got home?:hide

16. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode through that section last month. I got lost several times trying to skirt San Jose on local roads, ending up riding right through downtown...which was not nearly as bad as feared, merely congested, confusing, dangerous and time-consuming. Arrived about 3:00 for the long climb up Cerro de la Muerta, wondering whether I was doing the right thing but wanting to at least put a few miles on before dark. Dressed warmly once the fog rolled in and found an appropriately-driven car to follow through the murk. After about 20 miles, we broke above the clouds into brilliant, warm, nourishing sunshine, so I pulled ahead and gloried in the views and high-quality roadway. Hit a few sections of fog on the way down, but nothing serious.

I'm no bold adventurer (at least, not on purpose), but I've seen worse fog, worse truck traffic, worse cold and worse overall danger on a half-dozen roads throughout Central and South America, and I'm only as far as Peru. They're cloud forests, and sometimes they get cloudy. So maybe I hit the Mountain of Death (hubba hubba) on an off day, but I found it fine in late afternoon.

Just one more data point.

Mark
  17. whizzerwheel

Oddometer: