Costa Rica Feb 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wigwham, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wigwham

wigwham n00b

Oddometer:
    Any sage advice on good tour operators in costa Rica?
    Do I ship my 640 down from Canada, or rent?...this is the question:ear

Thanks for your "pro bono" advice!
    Wigwham
  2. rattlecan

rattlecan Caffeine Driven

Oddometer:
    If you want to go sport fishing, my ex wife and husband has a great boat I helped buy. :lol3
  3. headhunter

headhunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    www.motoscostarica.com

Good people who rent bikes and give tours. They also have nice cabins for rent.

Highly recommended.
  4. andymiller

andymiller motopsycho

Oddometer:
    I'm riding my GS through Costa Rica on my way to Brazil and would LOVE to do some sport fishing. I'm a novice angler however. Do they charter the boat or what?
  5. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any pictures of the ex? :lol3
  6. jimboo

jimboo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rented from http://www.wild-rider.com and had an excellent time! :freaky
  7. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    We rented (Feb 2006) from http://www.costaricamotorcycletours.com/costaricamotorcyclerental.htm

A1 experience. Wilhelm was a great guy. We did self guided tour but I'm sure they do guided also.

We all had brand new 06 LC4s, IIRC for 7 days it cost us $70 a day which is a freakin bargain plus they were unbelieably helpful with planning, logistics etc. He's a bike enthusiast first and foremost. If I was going back again, I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere, I'd rent from him again in a heartbeat. Here's why.

His brother I think owns the KTM dealer in San Jose CR, but they forgot to put any coolant into my 0 mile bike :D It rapidly overheated but I noticed quickly. Wilheim came right out and brought some. This probably should have been caught before I left on the bike.

50 miles later, the clutch went south (when we got back, turned out it was a factory manufacturing error, factory had forgotten to install some spacer washer).

Wilheim came out on his personal 950 Adventure. Couldn't get it to work. He had no more bikes available and he could have said, sorry, here is your money back but he sent me off on his personal 950. He had to sit around and wait 3 hours till someone could pick him up with a trailer. 2 mornings later, one of his guys rode a replacement LC4e the 150 miles each way (plus ferry) to meet us and swap it out.

It was an amazing trip, there is such good riding there. Only thing to be careful of is theft, mostly it's fine but one of us got robbed in I think Quepos (which was a dodgy city). We were stupid and sat in the front corner of the restaurant with two exposed sides out to the pavement, someone ripped off our friends bag with $500 and passport. We were watching but the two entrances right next to us and the diverson they created let them make off with it. He should have used a money belt like rest of us did but remember there is always a reason why gunfighters sit with their backs to the wall :D

I always remember this as leading upto it was an insane 30km dirt ride following a local into Quepos, memorable for it's insanity .... got stuck at one of the 1 way bridges on the North side of town, locals estimated 1+ hour wait, one guy who spoke good English in an Explorer "knew a short cut". For a while we were really thinking he's taking us to some cabin deep in the Palm plantations where he and his buddies were gonna cap us but couple river crossings later and a lot of high speed dirt following his dust cloud we popped out into Quepos. Cracks me up, we blitzed through a funeral in the middle of nowhere at one point ;-((
  8. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I met Eric Sargent at a Horizons Unlimmited meeting this summer. He may have bikes for rent by now.
    Try him at esargent6@excite.com

I haven't done anything but talk to him and watch his slide show at the meeting. Nice guy.

I will be in Costa Rica from 1/28 through 2/11 2008.
    No motorcycling this trip.

Have fun.