Costa Rica on a KLR650

Discussion in 'Americas' started by bluemooncomplex, Sep 24, 2020.

1. bluemooncomplex

bluemooncomplex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to Costa Rica around the end of November and I’ll have a KLR to ride for about 4 weeks. Unfortunately my SO doesn’t want to be left in the house over night so I’m going to be doing day trips (sunrise to sunset).

Is there anything that I should really see? I’m planning to do a loop with my SO as well, where is the best place to head? We’ll be doing various loops with a car as well so I don’t need to hit everything on a MC (though I would personally like to)
  2. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ]

My favorite part of CR, is OSA, a ride from SJ to San Isidro, to Dominical and then south to Puerto Jimenez, I had property on the way south to Carate, and Corcovado National Pargue, There's a nice jungle road to Drake to spend a night on the ocean in a tent camp when returning from PJ, the views in and out of OSA are spectacular. You can return to Dominical and take the coast roads north and then decide to go to the Nicole Peninsula or central into the mountains near Arenal, lots of cool stuff, but the natural beauty of OSA cant be beat.

Great choices,

Attached Files:

bluemooncomplex likes this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing day trips from SJ the traffic can be horrible just to get away from the city.
  4. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Make sure to make it out to Manuel Antonio at some point. There is a restaurant/bar near there called "El Avion" which is a tree-top restaurant part of which is built out of the remains of a large cargo plane. Really cool place. Can't wait to go back to CR.
    bluemooncomplex likes this.
  5. bluemooncomplex

Oddometer:
    Technically, I'll be in San Isidro but i'm not sure if that makes any difference
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well its good that you clarified that minor "technicality " :imaposer about basing your trip in San Isidro and not in San Jose. After all SI is only a few hours of mountain riding south of SJ and the airport .It will make a world of difference to your loop choices .
    The easier loops will be to follow the road east to San Vito , and to the south coast and back to SI by way of theRio General valley .A bigger loop would be the one that carries yoyu up the coast and then back inland to San Isidro . A loop to the north coast woukd be at least a two day affair , aswoud a loop involving San Jose and the Central Valley so those would have to be with the missus or whatever qualifies as your SO :confused:hmmmmm:dunno:ear:hide.

Other technicality you did not clarify is the KLR .... rental / loaner/ own bike shipped in ?

Costa Rica may be a "small country" but don't get fooled by the map scaale ,there is a lot of variety , enough to fill many days of wandering. Basing it around one anchor point will prove difficult , anywhere .
  8. bluemooncomplex

Oddometer:
    San Isidro, San Jose not San Isidro de el general oops.

Planning on renting a bike. We’re actually down there for ~8 weeks but plan on doing some car travel as well.

Right now I’m thinking SJ to San Isidro de el general and down to the osa peninsula (I think I’ve talked the girlfriend into a longer trip as pillion) and not really sure where to go after that, Monteverde looks interesting but we will see that by car
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    More technicality :lol3.
    Skip the rental property home -base approach and move around from hotel to hotel . That is a much better way to cover all corners of the country without needing to hastily cut short the visit at some interesting place in order to retreat every day, repeating roads ,to get back to that same sleeping place each evening .Then you can relax and sit back a day or two at whatever location really pleases you .

As Kentuckid pointed out , if you are basing in greater San Jose you will have to budget in the time for getting out and in through the slow traffic zone , a drag if you have to do that day after day .
    Tricepilot likes this.
  10. GaryM

GaryM Huh? What?

Oddometer:
    That cargo plane is actually a part of american history. It belonged to LTC Olliver North and it was used to supply the Contras in Nicaruaga.
    Pretty good restaurant there. I like the tables on the back side, you can look at over the cliff and see the Pacific.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  11. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Yep! I have pictures of us there somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig them up.
    GaryM likes this.