Costa Rica: Trippin' with GR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GRinCR, Jan 17, 2013.

1. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Quite jealous you got to ride it. I only got to walk it.
    DaveCR likes this.
  2. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Having only been through Limon a time or two, inevitably we ended up at the main tourist walk. We found a soda, parked right out front and settled in for a feast.
    [​IMG]

There was no time wasted. Within an hour of first seeing the cruise ships in the distance we were back on the road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much to brag about running on this leg of the CR32. Lots of flat.
    [​IMG]

Lots of leap frog.
    [​IMG]

This guy was in a hurry!
    [​IMG]

As we got closer to entering the mountains the weather took a turn for the normal, being the rainforest and all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right before the turn up into the clouds we made a quick stop to rain gear. Time 15:28
    [​IMG]

It was a pleasant, but very rainy ride through the Braulio Carillo Natl. Park and took us just under an hour to clear the pass. At the exit of the park it is not too far before I fist bumped David and peeled off the CR32 onto my decent path into Heredia. David continued on aimed at San Jose. We were greeted with clear skies and I stopped at the first town to remove the rain gear for the final stretch of dodging and weaving traffic through urban sprawl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rolled into the homestead around 17:30, 5 days and just past 1,400 miles of the longest sustained, consecutive days of riding in my life.
    [​IMG]

As much as I liked the smell of travel I carried, this shit had to be washed.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for sticking around y hasta la proxima!
    DaveCR likes this.
  3. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Dang it has been some time, eh? Suppose it is somewhat of a trade off... RR'ing about past rides or squeezing in as much seat time as possible. There has surprisingly been more seat time than expected given all the rain, work, kids, life, etc... The annual "big ride" is only weeks away too... I will have some catching up to do.

In the meantime, here's to all those "Last Ride of the Year" posts for those the the great white north:
    [​IMG]

Ciao for now!
    Foiler, ColoradoChris, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  4. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s almost unfair that we are just starting the best riding season in CR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ColoradoChris likes this.
  5. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Unfair they are to themselves... Latitude changes are a choice.
  6. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    This year's multi-day moto free for all is shaping up quite nicely. Since Thursday we've put on a little under 400kms ranging from Caribbean, jungle mud-baths at only a few hundred meter altitude to sandy beaches at 3,200 meters.
    :vardy
    [​IMG]
    :p3rry
    [​IMG]

Home now for a pit stop (gap in sitter coverage while mamí is at school) before saddling up tomorrow to head for the Guanacaste Penninsula for some beach camping and then some pampering.

Ciao for now y'all!!
    :asta
    Foiler likes this.
  7. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that Manual Antonio, 3rd beach?
  8. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hey there Johnny, this one is Herradura. Nice, swimming/family friendly beach less than an hour from the concrete jungle.
  9. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    ♫♪“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.”

Which for here means windy, followed by clear skies and sunshine with temps averaging in the mid 80’s for the next five to six months.

Since we’re getting into the Holiday spirit… 25Dec17. It was sometime past noon when the buzz of Santa’s visit wore off and things started to normalize again. Ana inspired by the clear blue skies turned to me and suggested we take a ride. I only wish life be so kind as to grant me the ability to always accept such an offer but do when said opportunity is tangible. On this day, it looked like Santa had one last item to take care of.

It took a few hours for the logistical tasks of three children to be sorted, and with them safely tucked away at tia’s, we were off!

[​IMG]

We pointed the mighty DR at the top of Poas Volcano and left the big city behind us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the main drag up the mountain and today was full of activity.

[​IMG]

I wish it had been all livestock, wild-life intrusions, etc… but y’all likely know about the wishing in one hand, shitting in the other scenario. Apparently, we had the same plan as nearly every family who stuck around the Central Valley vs. heading to the beach. With this, the roads were changed from generally tame and therapeutic twisties to an intense game of Leap-Frogger. It’s a real life, hybrid cross of Leap-Frog and Frogger. I pass like Leap-Frog with hazards moving in all directions on all sides. The twist? The flows are not linear nor constant. Everyone is allowed to accelerate, stop, turn left or right, all on a dime, no notice, no look, just go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alive, chilling!

[​IMG]

Near the top we veered East and followed the ridge to Vara Blanca “Centro” which is essentially a gas station and a Soda. Here is where we again turned North towards the Caribbean flats. It was clear sailing…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

… at least for a little while.

[​IMG]

Our destino final was the same as everyone else; el Salto del Angel waterfall. On any other day, this place is serene. On this day though, it was a zoo!

[​IMG]

We did the touristy thing…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

… and hung out a bit before jumping back on the bike to battle our way out of gridlock.

[​IMG]

Then follow the leader up the switchbacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We backtracked down the same path we arrived on. Getting late in the day, things had calmed down a bit and the throw of asphalt from Vara Blanca to Poasito was pretty much all ours!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Poasito the chaos had not yet worn off.

[​IMG]

Still though, the overall congestion had dissipated. We had a pleasant little race with some strangers on the way down followed by ridding off, into the sunset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy New Year ADVers! :asta