Couchsurfing

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Old-n-slo, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading Derek Mansfield's book about riding across Russia, Mongolia and the 'Stans --a trip I had to call off for this May :-( He did couchsurfing quite a bit and met some fascinating people. I tried to to make use of the Couchsurfing site to link up with people in northern Scandinavia two summers ago and again last year in Central Europe. Didn't get very far. Seems if no one has ever stayed with you then you are an unknown entity and maybe not trustworthy.

Anyone have experience with it or any tips for how to use it and actually get an invitation to stay over night?
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a similar lack of response I presume for the same reason but I have had some great hosts from the tent space thread although not so many outside of North America.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Start staying at couchsurfing locally around the United States so you can build some references... not many folks wanna extend you "credit" as a first time buyer, if you will...

Although in this CV19 era, CS will be taking a major hit in terms of participation for awhile..

Send request 3 days ahead.. most folks dont appreciate or can handle 1 day / same day requests.

Lastly, when u send a request.. make it personal and have realistic/ positive backstory... nobody wants to read... "coming thru your neck of the woods.. got a free couch?"..
    Old-n-slo and Edoz like this.
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    bigphish likes this.
  5. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    Tent Space is my go-to. Have used and hosted in North America and Europe. Gets tougher in Mongolia and Tajikistan. Seems like there are Couchsurfer members in every nook and cranny. But nobody likesme! :-(((
    holckster likes this.
  7. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Your mother would begg to differ!