Could anything about Honda AT heated grips be unknown?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by canyncarvr, Oct 1, 2019.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure seems like it to me. I see bits and parts of questions and some answers in this and that thread, but a whole lot of unknown.

Is the newest generation of Honda kits something that works properly? Is
    08T72-MJP-G50 that kit?

I've seen some kits listed for the bike that are missing some brackets and parts...those listed as 'sold separately'.

What kind of BS is that? A heated grip kit requires things that are not included?

The installation instructions for the AT...from Honda...detail cutting INTO the existing harness, extracting a 'code' (their stupid word for a wire?), putting an interference coil around said 'code' and putting it back together with electrical tape?

What is this white 'code' (wire) that needs that sort of protection just to make a heated grip kit work?

If you like Oxfords or some other brand..that's fine. I am not interested in anything other than answers about the Honda grip heat kit(s).

If I could hear, 'Yes. That kit is the latest and it works,' that would be great. Notice that kit does NOT include the 'separately available' parts noted as being part of the install in the instructions.

Fishing out 'codes' and running them through interference slugs seems a good bit of stretch to make a grip warm up.

I guess the largest part of my incredulity over the whole mess is that an outfit like Honda can't figure out how to warm up handlebar grips... and it's a mess that's been going on for years without resolution. I don't know that the problem is actually 'fixed' now. I've not found a thread that definitely says that is true.

Is it?
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The heated grip instructions for the AT make no mention of cutting into a harness. Where are yousseeing that. It's plug'n play. Two part numbers are required for installation when starting from scratch. This is done so that if you only have replace the grips at some point when the wear out you don't have to buy all the other parts.

Go to the Honda website and look at the accessories for the 2019 AT and it will give you both part numbers. You can also get the instructions there.

I am installing my Honda heated grips this weekend. I have had Oxfords and they work great but I don't like the larger diameter and rock hard grips. I also didn't want another controller mounted on my bars as I need to mount a CC controller there. I am expecting the Honda grips won't get as hot as the Oxfords but I also expect they will be good enough. Never used the Oxfords at full power and the grips wore out after 50k miles.
  3. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    The OP is correct. He is reading an earlier document.
    Frustrating is an understatement.
    The most current grip install instruction I've found online is May 2018- this does not mention the filter.
    OP is referring to publication with a revised Date August 2016 which I believe does not apply to 2017 and newer AT
    Which means they dealt with the noise issue in the OE wiring.
    For 2016AT the revised install kit requires a "noise filter" to be installed around a white wire.
    This requires cutting into the OE loom and taping up the mess hoping it works better- come on Honda, really?
    IMO, for 2017 onwards, the heated grip issue has been dealt with but on 2016 AT the grips are hit or miss to this day.
    Mine has a mind of its own. I just enjoy it when it works and cuss when it doesn't, lol.

PS.
    It's the Nipponese way of doing things :1drink
  4. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    Yes. It is the only online Honda instruction document I found; Pub MII, May 2016. The URL is four lines of hash, else I'd post it here for verification.

Aha! So that is why the second part, the 'Grip Heater Attachment' (sold separately) parts list does not now show the core and sleeves for its install? I have found it separately for sale from only one source and the shipping is more than the cost of the kit.

One large OEM parts supplier (zilla) shows the kit for less than $200, but they don't say what's in it. I could guess that kit does NOT include the 'Grip Heater Attachment' parts, but why is any guessing required? I've seen install videos that tuck the controller next to the left rear frame rail, but the 'Attachment' parts include a bracket to mount it onto the left rear cover. SOME kits listed for the AT have the additional brackets, some don't....if you can believe the pics shown of the supposed part(s) for sale.

I have no doubt that a lot of the confusion (mine anyway) comes from different riders getting different parts AND different instructions depending on when their kits were ordered. Their comments are based on what they got, of course, and they can't know how much other 'kits' differ.

I have not found the later Honda .pdf, the one you list from May '18.

Thanks for the additional input! It was very helpful to my understanding of the mess.

My AT is a '17. I thought I'd listed that. My error. If I put it in a sig line, I wouldn't have to remember saying, 'eh?
    DCTFAN likes this.
  5. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    This is more helpful (meaning...not in the least): I put in the attachment kit number in a third party OEM parts site, and get a picture of the grips!

Pretty good deal: Heated grips for the AT for $14.45. ;)
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I bought into the "latest generation Honda heated grips that really work this time" spiel back in 2018 after waiting nearly 2 years. Got them installed and they were shite, barely adequate for 50F temps at their hottest setting. Save your money and buy an aftermarket solution. There are more choices out there than just Oxford.
  7. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's just sad.
    I've waited until the 2016 revisions (noise filter addition) had been confirmed to install the grips.
    Same problem; just does not get hot enough to make a difference.
    Hopefully, they've fixed it for the 2020 models; but I just can't afford those, lol