1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Could we see a Honda adventure bike with a "frunk"?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BlackMarch, Sep 3, 2020.

1. BlackMarch

BlackMarch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love adventure bikes, but I also like having a place to store my helmet. Which leaves me in a position where I pretty much always ride around with a top box, and the disadvantages that come with that.

Does anyone here think we might see an adventure bike (with a big front wheel and proper suspension) similar to the NC750X? I know the NC750 is classified as an adventure bike but I really struggle to refer to any bike with a 17" front tire as such.

Could it get a similar treatment as what the CB500X got?
  2. Appalachian Twin

Appalachian Twin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No
    roktbox likes this.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    I like the New Concept. Talk about torque and fuel economy, and low COG.
    Plus, you can get the DCT.

They could make a luggage system that makes it easy to get to the 3.7 gallon tank in the rear.
    They could offer a special hard plastic bladder if you are going Land Rover mode that goes into the frunk. I think the frunk is like 22 liters now, which is 5.8 gallons. So the bladder would be 4 gallons of juice. so that is 7.7 gallons of juice. I'm sure the aftermarket would.

They could go with a 21" if they increased the wheel based and limited travel to something like 6.3" or so. Again, think Land Rover and not dual sport.
    But, if you are going to do that, the market would be pissed off, so you should just go with a 19" front. Many of the jerk off loyal NCX guys claim that a 21 can't be done due to the engine config. Many NCX owners are a loyal bunch to the stock trim.

__
    I actually predict that the NC would go best in a hybrid package. Bring down displacement to half the size, and then remove the frunk and put in a battery that is all torque. Let the DCT allow the rider to toggle through 3 settings.
    1. 50-50 (350 mile range). Meaning the battery gets you going, then the 4 stroke takes over once you have some momentum.
    2. All battery (25 mile range for commuting)
    3. All juice. (250 mile range)
    Just a wild guess.

_
    Have a great rest of the summer. I really liked the Winter Olympics in Lillehamer!
    ag_streak likes this.
  4. solitary1

solitary1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adventure is a mindset not a wheel size 20181010_191033.jpg
    Morocco October 2018
  5. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, but I've had both 19" and 21" front wheels on adventure bikes. There's no comparison once you get into anything loose or need to go over obstacles. It's far easier with the 21". I commend you for going out on a 17", but wouldn't do it myself!
    The_Precious_Juice and lithodave like this.
  6. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A gravel road does not represent the most challenging conditions that could be encountered on a motorcycle adventure.

But if you like that heavy bike with its street bike wheel sizes, I'm happy for you.
  7. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if a set of offset steer head bearings and clamps would give enough room for a 19" wheel, without screwing up the rake and trail too bad?
  8. BlackMarch

Oddometer:
    Alternatively, they could give a 19/17 or 21/18 wheel treatment to the X-Adv. That would make for a real interesting bike.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. solitary1

Oddometer:
    True,but that was a 19 day loop of morroco which inclused everything from gravel roads to fesh fesh to boulder fields,dry lake beds,dunes,several river crossings and morrocan traffic.It's a challenge on any bike from the UK as it involves a 1000 miles of road to get to the southern Spanish ports to access morroco.No one bike really suits the whole trip,I'm hoping to go again in the next year or so but this time I'll be on the other end of the bike spectrum,using my WR450F :lol3
  10. antwon412

antwon412 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I guess the ship sailed on a NC engine for Honda on a ADV bike.
    They built the AT from scratch. Sure, the P. Twin design is there, and of course the 270 crank.
    The wheel base is 62" for the 21" and excellent travel. 9.1" and 8.7"

I sort of like how the DL1000 has 6.3" of travel with a 19" front. Imagine the 745cc in the V-Strom?
    Keep in mind, with a L Twin, the wheel base is close to the HOnda AT with far less travel. 61.2", actually.

A 19 front on a NC is totally doable.

__
    Just like a 21 front is now totally doable on a CB500X.
    Don't let the Rally Raid faithful tell you other wise.
    But that is another thread.
  12. RightChoice

RightChoice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike is that?
  13. solitary1

Oddometer:
    It's a 2014 Honda NC750X,MITAS e07+ on the rear and a tkc80 on the front,Chinese tail tidy,swmotech engine bars and footrests, puig screen.pro taper adventure high fatbars,givi handguards,Oxford heated grips.i forget the make of the bash plate.
  14. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:

Funny thing is that “Frunk” in Japan is called a metinbox a Japanese word that is short for HelMet in Box.

but it think the demographics for someone who want an off road ready adventure bike with on board storage for a helmet is going to be pretty small slice of the adventure segment
  15. BlackMarch

Oddometer:
    Possibly, but for me it plays in to that middleweight adventure segment. It's just about enough space for a day trip. And it also easily allows you to walk away from your bike by locking your helmet inside.
  16. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the disadvantages of a top box?
    gromitdaddy and Night_Wolf like this.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The big advantage to the NC is the low COG, extra cargo room, torque, and fuel economy.
    If you want to put your helmet in there, more power to you.
    I'd actually fill it up with things that are important that should be secured. I'd just have a helmet lock on put her on the back when stopped.
    I'd most likely have a 3 gallon gas tank on the back if I needed to really push the millage at times. Like up in Alaska.
    6.7 gallons.

I would have bought a NC750X if she came with a 19" front and spoke wheels.
    The V-Strom took care of me. I actually can get 70mph when trying on back roads. When I need to make time the rpms can get up to 5,000rpm in 6th really easy.
    SV650 heritage.

5.3 gallon tank.
  18. BlackMarch

Oddometer:
    High center of gravity and it changes the way the bike rides, how susceptible it is to sidewinds and so on. So basically you want luggage which is as low profile as possible, and you also preferably don't want a gap between the rider and the luggage. Which means a tailbag on the rear seat is a lot more aerodynamic than a top box further back.
  19. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope I never get good enough at riding to notice these things.
    Night_Wolf, DavidM1 and redolga like this.
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    They are hard to dodge when they fall off and you are following close behind.
    tomo8r likes this.