1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Council Hill, IL - Track

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WalterMitty2, Nov 7, 2020.

1. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mid 70's in November, in Illinois?!? It's time to RIDE!!!

A buddy found this track a few weeks ago, and we committed to riding it this year if the weather would give us a break. Big shout out to @Gerken for creating this awesome track. We are in the far south burbs of Chicagoland, and there ain't much to ride close by.

Here's thread with the track....

https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-illinois-ds-track.989352/

We trucked the bikes to a spot near the track, did the loop and trucked home. A +200 mile day in the saddle, and it was a blast.

I could have stopped for pics about 100 times, but since it gets dark around here at about 5pm, we were chasing daylight a bit.

Here are a few highlights....

County Divide "Road"....

IMG_6050 (1).JPG IMG_6051.JPG
    popscycle likes this.
  2. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Canyon Lake Spillway....

IMG_6053.JPG
    popscycle likes this.
  3. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Council Hill Station...

IMG_6056.JPG
    zilla and popscycle like this.
  4. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Just after the Council Hill Station, is a scenic ride along a little creek, and then we came upon "limbo" bridge.....

IMG_6058.JPG IMG_6062.JPG IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6066.JPG
    popscycle likes this.
  5. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Water and tunnel pics.

The first water pic we watched several cows cross. The tunnel pics are all ones going under rail road tracks.....

IMG_6068.JPG IMG_6071.JPG IMG_6076.JPG IMG_6078.JPG
  6. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Downtown Mt Carroll, IL....

IMG_6079.JPG IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6081.JPG
    zilla and popscycle like this.
  7. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    It was a blast. As is stated in the link above to the tracks, you get a lot with this track...tons of "fast" gravel, some dirt, farm roads, lots of spots to stop for lunch (Galena, IL and many more), lots of water views (Mississippi river, tons of other little creeks, etc.). Definitely will be doing a repeat of this one.

My Relive vid:

8. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride! I've been on some of those roads a time or two.
  9. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Takes me back to the days of my youth in IL. Thanks!
  10. Pearl City Chinook

Pearl City Chinook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How was the portion after limbo bridge? I tried the track this spring and rode around that part. There was a guy on a four wheeler giving me the stink eye so I turned around there.
  11. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    It was good, the track dead ends at the bridge where we saw the cows. The track just sort of takes to you a spot, where you then double back a bit. I think he just wanted to show of the water spot under the bridge, which is a good one. At that point we saw about 4-5 side-by-sides with older couples (my age) drinking beers. We waved, they nodded. Not super friendly, but no issues. We stopped for a bit, I took a couple of pics, and then left.
  12. Pearl City Chinook

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I may give it a try later this week if the weather cooperates. I’m in Pearl City so this is in my neck of the woods.
  13. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    We rode through your town. Not sure if you watched the video or not, but we parked in Freeport, and then rode through Pearl City, took Loran Road and picked up the track at the Salem Church.

Below is the loop we are talking about from the GPX file. I also included a pic of the area. We have already done a u-turn and are now facing the peeps I was talking about. At the dead end, there appeared to be a path but there was a gate closed and said private property. The people were fine. Sort of stared at us, we waved, rode by, did our u-turn, checked out the surrondings and probably stayed 5 min.

Track 3 Turnaround.jpg IMG_6069.JPG
  14. Pearl City Chinook

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. If you ever come back out and want a place to park or another rider let me know.
    If you only have time for a half day I posted a shorter ride called the Ten Thousand a few months back. It’s ninety percent gravel and has some nice scenery in the fall.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ten-thousand-nw-il.1444463/
  15. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I appreciated all what I call "fast gravel". If you have more skill, then I guess all gravel could be fast gravel, but I'm not that good, and the deeper, looser stuff isn't fun for me, and I really have to slow down. The hard packed gravel, or dirt/gravel mix was about perfect for most of the route for me.

Thanks for the parking offer.

Ride safe.
  16. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report and I enjoy your photography skill set. Few people truly appreciate the treat that is downtown Mt. Carroll. Glad you enjoyed the track. The area has much to offer and is overlooked.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  17. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    My riding partner for the day, kept saying over and over what a great track this was. We also think it's as good or better than the TWAT (which we rode half of back in September). We both agreed that for the "ease of use" your track is better for us.

1) Closer to get on
    2) Can do as a day trip
    3) Track, sites, time off pavement, are all as good or better

For us, your track is about 2 hours from our house, we truck over...ride the track....truck back home. Great day trip, no hotel, no days off.

We will be doing this one again, when we have more time to stop and enjoy all the great places for a bite. We will also have other buddies that will join us since we keep telling them how they messed up by not joining us last Saturday.
  18. Cav47

Cav47 Look, Lean, and Pray!

Oddometer:
    Looking for some camping opportunities on the northwest side of the track. I know it could easily be completed in a day like some of you have done, but I am going to try out a new camping plan. Thanks in advance
  19. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    If you're coming from Sycamore, a good start to the loop is Mt Carroll. Then about halfway is maybe around Council Hill Station, which isn't too far from Galena, which isn't too far from Palace Campgrounds. Palace allows RVs, Tents, etc. Never stayed there, but it's the spot that the creator of this loop and many others uses as base camp for other rides.

https://www.palacecampground.com/

upload_2021-1-16_23-22-4.png
    Cav47 likes this.
  20. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I should add that the creator of the track suggest doing the route counter-clockwise.