Countersteering confusion : (

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by IrishJohn, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    And yet, I learned it by consciously counter steering. Now I can go through the turns with my eyes closed.

I don't get why you think there is only one answer.
  2. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:

If you go through the turns with your eyes closed, you are doing it wrong.

That said, before you "learned" to countersteer, how exactly did you change directions on a motorcycle or bicycle exactly?

Another question, countersteering or not, you do look through turns and scan as far as possible down the road, right? Which do you think is better advice, consciously countersteering or looking through the curve and scanning the road as far ahead as possible? Please consider that if you do the latter, you are already countersteering, just not thinking about it.
  3. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    For me, it was consciously counter steering. That has been the biggest single improvement to my riding. It was a light switch. One moment turns were vague scary things that I ran wide through, then next I could corner like I was on rails.

I have no idea how I changed direction before counter steering clicked for me. Sure, I was unconsciously doing it, but now that I know to just use my hands I don't have to dream about turning the bike and hope it happens.
  4. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    In fact, here is the turn that I figured it out on...

[​IMG]

Coming from the north west on derbyshire. I used to drive through this turn all the time, and slowed way down for it. Once I figured it out, I rode back and forth through this little bend for 10 minutes just amazed at how it felt. How I could just snap the bike over, then snap it right back up.
  5. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I learned early on that the bike goes where you look, so look ahead. I was made by an uncle early on to turn my head. A corner has only been scary, ever, if I was riding faster than my abilities allowed.

I've said this before, it was 20 years later that I learned about what countersteering was, and at first I thought it was bullshit until I paid attention and realized that I was actually doing it. That knowledge, while pretty cool, did nothing to improve my riding at all.

Slow down and look through the curves, the rest will follow.
  6. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:

Or, in my case, ride bikes and motorcycles for 15 years, then one day realize that countersteering turns the bike, and you feel like a racer.
  7. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep that "feel like a racer" stuff on the track, please.
  8. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Don't be obtuse. Being able to put the bike anywhere you want, when you want belongs on the road as well as on the track.
  9. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess your talking about an evasion maneuver? Swerve one way then back again.
    LOL. Had much fun practising this and we ended up combining footrest weighting with the CS. Our instuctor being of a certain humour had us doing it one handed, push pull. :evil
    As we progressed, a bit of reality was added. When we got up to speed, say 20/30mph, he would wait later and later to indicate in which direction he wanted us to jink.
    IIRC correctly we ended up moving approx 3mtrs laterally and back again for approx 10mtrs travelled. Amazing what a bike can do and a most excellent day.
  10. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, but "feeling like a racer" is a track only activity.
  11. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    I realise that; that's why I said the two are functionally equivalent.

I'm not saying that Brian is idiotic, just functionally equivalent to it.
  12. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

The kids' table is set up down the hall.
  13. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride with a guy on occasion....the furthest his bike ever leans is when its on the kickstand.

Countersteer? He's never heard of it, and knows it wont work.

But he's been riding for years, so he knows there is nothing more for him to learn.

The disadvantage of all of this?

The circle of friends willing to ride with him is shrinking rapidly.
  14. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long has he been riding? Does he at least keep up with the speed limits, and has he crashed at all and, if so, how many times?

There are far more ways to be a good rider on the road than by how small your chicken strips are or how fast you can take Mullholland.
  15. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    40+ years.

No crashes that I am aware of. He DOES blame his fear of turns however on seeing a friend crash years ago.

He is the typical cruiser rider....go like hell in a straight line, and pucker at the sight of a corner.

Point is this: He is so scared to turn the bike, that if something came up that required him to alter his path, he would die......he would stare straight at that tree/ditch/fender/cow/whatever, and ride straight into it.

But that's okay......he's been riding 40+ years, and there is nothing more for him to learn.
  16. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    If he's that afraid, he's got other issues besides learning that countersteering changes direction on his motorcycle. You are right, even though he hasn't crashed yet, if he's developed such a freezing fear after seeing someone crash, he's dangerous and probably shouldn't ride at all. It's not for everyone...
  17. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    Take your seat...
  18. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with Brian :D

19. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, I've always noticed it to be the typical sportbike rider who goes like hell in a straight line then puckers in a corner. But maybe that's because I ride both and tend to pay attention to these type of things.
    Generally I find sportbike riders to be younger and have no more skill than the average cruiser rider but astute marketing has led them to believe because they are on a "sportbike" they automatically are better... or maybe they expect their bike and the 'racer' leathers to save them.:lol3

Aren't stereotypes fun!:D

There's a reason why we came up with the term Squid to describe them way back in the 70's.:lol3
  20. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He does tend to make more sense than all the pseudo racers on this site...:lol3