COUNTRIES TO BUY A MOTORBIKE IN EUROPE AS NON-RESIDENT

Discussion in 'Europe' started by FAB-BIKER, Mar 27, 2019.

1. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After checking many threads related with this subject, I haven´t found clear and updated info about the countries in Europe (Except UK) where is possible to buy legally a motorcycle and travel around Europe, without being resident of any EU country.

Germany seems to be a good possibility until the moment, but I am not clear about the required documents. Some in the southeast as Croatia and Bulgary seem another possibility, but not very clear yet.
    Any suggestions and list of documents, costs, time, etc.??
    Thanks for your help!
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    UK any one can buy and insure...

Not sure after Brexit tho insurance wise...

I'd imagine a specific insurance for long term touring may be needed if over 90day
  3. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For export plates (valid up to 1 year):
    Passport, vehicle papers, valid vehicle inspection (may be documented in the vehicle papers), insurance confirmation for export, sepa bank account (for tax).
  4. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Have been going through the process for the past 6 weeks and have come to the conclusion that UK is the easiest for a few reasons. Language, people I know there and insurance arrangements .
    I'm arranging to buy a bike and leave it there but my long term plan is to do this in an EU country and thought that would be easier to arrange when there and know the local ropes.
    Have a look at this it might help.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/uk-motorcycle-insurance-for-non-residents-is-now-available.1165906/
  5. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have found that working with "dooby" in Croatia is my choice. he is presently searching for a bike for me. you might at least give him a shout and see what he can do for you. I arrive in Croatia mid may this year and am salivating to start my ride. :ricky
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  6. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Thomas, Do you know how much time could this process take and if I need an address in the city of registration? some link to check this?
  7. alicethomas

Oddometer:
    Germany does not export goods for the first time. ;)
    Of course you don't need a local residence/registration!

Bank account and insurance are done before.
    Then waiting in the queue (you'll meet a lot of East-European and African dealers which know the process and can help you) takes most of the time.
    Showing vehicle papers and passport, paying, with a ticket to the plate maker and back, can be done in 15 minutes.
    Your key word is "Ausfuhrkennzeichen" (export plate, sometimes also called Exportkennzeichen or Zollkennzeichen).
    Check this (80%) translated offical website:
    https://www.service-bw.de/en/web/gu..._p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view
  8. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been checking the "Ausfuhrkennzeichen", doesn't seem complicated. But my plan is to return then to Germany (2-3 months) to re-sell the bike (I guess this is the easiest way). In that case should not be a problem? Thanks again!
  9. alicethomas

Oddometer:
    If it is registered in Germany, all the papers for the next buyer exist and import duty doesn't apply.
    But in this case a standard local registration would be cheaper.
  10. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    Thanks bout2ride !

We can provide full support here in Zagreb/Croatia, finding the bike, sorting the paperwork, registration, tax, green card insurance and storing the bike in our warehouse where we keep our fleet and also motorcycles and 4x4 from our clients.

When the bike is paid for, we're sorting the paperwork and insurance inside 24 h.

On the return, we're helping with sale of the bike if needed.

You have links in my signature and there are our threads here on ADVrider and HUBB.

BR
    dooby
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  11. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ireland.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  12. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    We here at motofeirme Ireland can assist you in buying and storing a motorcycle if you want to start your trip in western Europe.
    We are 20 mins from the ferry to France and Spain.
    Check out my facbook page.
    We currently have a good number for bikes for sale.

WW
  13. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Alice,
    The people which I’ve contacted here in Munich say that it’s not possible to register if I am not resident. In what. way or what office are you talking I can do the export plates?
    Thank you!
  14. alicethomas

Oddometer:
    For the export plates (Ausfuhrkennzeichen/Zollkennzeichen/Exportkennzeichen) you don't need to be a resident.
    It's sufficient if you are "there" (because the vehicle and the papers have to be checked).
    This seems to be a dealer whitch manages most of it for you: http://www.export-plate.com/
    (I haven't tried, I don't know him, but at least his website is in English)
  15. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done!! Everything was as you said and more simple than I thought! Thank you Alicethomas for so great information and tips! Now I am riding in Europe! You were really helpful! Best!!!
  16. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    i certainly didn't have any luck trying to register the bike i purchased in the UK, as a Canadian citizen.
    i would prefer to do business with wheatwacker, next time around, if need be.
  17. msstatz

msstatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I’m (US Citizen) planning on being in Utrecht in July and August. I’d like to buy a Translap, XRV750, XLV750R or something similar. I’ll be returning fairly regularly and have a place to store in Utrecht when I’m not there.
    My son is an Expat and own a home there. He is a US Citizen and works for a UK company. His girlfriend lives with him and is a Dutch citizen.
    What am I up against and how should I go about this?
    I would love to export one of these into the US but it’s not my goal. I just want to ride the TET sections with my free time while I’m in Europe.

Thanks
    MSS
  18. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your son wants to buy a Transalp and lend it to his dad.
  19. msstatz

msstatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be fine, I actually am riding a Bobber he built just before he left for NL 5yrs ago. But wouldn’t he have the same problems I would have (not a Dutch citizen)? Or dose the permanent address solve the problems? After reading other threads, I’m really confused about ownership and insurance issues. If I can buy the bike and title it in his or her name, that would work for me.
  20. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    If he's living legally in the Netherlands and has a Dutch (or other European) license, he can buy and insure bikes just like anyone else who lives there. Residency is the issue, not citizenship.

As a visitor you wouldn't be in the population register or have a Dutch ID card, which is the dead end for putting a bike in your name.