COUNTRIES TO BUY A MOTORBIKE IN EUROPE AS NON-RESIDENT

Discussion in 'Europe' started by FAB-BIKER, Mar 27, 2019.

1. kiwiwannafly

kiwiwannafly n00b

Oddometer:
    Exactly the issue I'm up against. Kiwi in the Netherlands wanting to buy a bike (strong preference for an older Transalp) and head to Africa.
    All avenues here seem to dead end with residency and Dutch ID number. Can get a friend to buy, register in their name etc but insurance needs to cover me - back to residency issue.
    Alicethomas' post has pointed me in the direction of http://www.export-plate.com/ but I still have some (dumb maybe?) questions.
    1. With 'export' plates am I limited to buying a bike in Germany?
    2. Am I obliged to 3rd party insure with them? I think I can arrange separately via a Croatian based company. A reasonable 150 Euro cover for 90 days.
    3. As Im heading to Africa for an extended period (3-5 yrs) I anticipate that I'll sell, or ditch a worn out bike there. Any issues with that?

Frustrated to the point of ALMOST just buying a bike, ride it and wing it hoping I dont meet bureaucracy (yeah right!)
    dooby likes this.
  2. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    Hi Richard,

I have replied to your email inquiry a minute ago.

We can sort you out with the motorcycle you like/prefer/want to buy here in Croatia. We’re finding the bike, sorting all the paperwork, insurance, registration inside 24 h.

You can check our threads and reputation here and on HUBB as well as provide insurance coverage for many of our clients clients of Motofeirme and many European moto tour operators are insuring their fleets with us like Celtic rider in Ireland.

BR
    Dooby
  3. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Buy one in england. Just need a friend with an address. Everything else is straight forwaed and easy to understand
  4. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dooby.....he gets the job done with no worries! :super
  5. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Dooby:

I was just in Zagreb this time last year and stayed 5 blocks from your B&B! Had I known about Lobagola I would have arranged to stay with you instead. I LOVED Zagreb and your beautiful country, and the riding in your part of the world (TET/Alps/Slovenia etc etc) looks amazing.

I am contemplating either shipping a bike to Europe (from my home here in CO USA) and buying a garage space OR I am looking at your service (and Wheatwhacker's too) to buy/store a bike in Europe instead. I am researching the pros and cons of each option.

I will message you as I research more.

Thanks!
    dooby likes this.
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The UK has an almost identical system for exporting vehicles as Alice has outlined several times above. You don't need any special paperwork or visit an office to do it here in UK. Just fill out the relevant section on the V5 all buyers are given.
    Never pay for a vehicle without having the V5 on the table in front of you. It says on it "This is not proof of ownership" But it is along with a receipt.

All other official documentation ie road tax and MOT are only held on the police computer. Most of us have a photocopy, but it is not necessary. Of course overseas authorities do not have such access.

As far as inter EU states cooperating in pursuing speeding offenders, it should happen but rarely does. Bear in mind several countries have a policy of Pay Now! Can be up to €900 in France unless that has changed with the new 80kph rural limits.

The only one I have heard of is Italy which sells off the details of your "guilt" to what are effectively bounty hunters who can pursue you through the civil courts in your own country, where the costs of justice can be very high. Remember you have already been found guilty, there are calibrated photos proving you broke the law speeding.
    Bang. To. Rights.
    Fortunately not that common.
  7. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    Hi Boredsurfer,

That was close enough that next time you deserve a beer on our terrace ;).

Thanks for the nice words, we really live in nice part of the world, so close to Alps and so close to Adriatic, and of course non paved riding across Balkans, TET included.

If you have specific motorcycle models you're looking to buy you can send me email and I can steer you in directions of costs and what our services are as all the bikes are registered to our company. We do sale and buy back as well, depending on the models and their age of course.

I suppose you plan to get some off roading as you live in Co, and we do have a fleet of Giant e-mtb enduro bikes that you can also rent ;).

If you have any more questions I will be close by and provide reply asap.

BR
    Dooby
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It only takes once. Received a letter from the Canton of Graubunden in my mailbox in Virginia a few weeks ago. CHF 100, bitte.

Last time I run a bike with EU plates.
  9. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:

I can't like the fact you got a ticket.

I know you know, Graubunden is in CH, not in the EU Michael.
    Would have been a lot more in RF, less in BDR, about the same in UK.

So stop being a naughty boy! If we have a clean licence, and weren't trying too hard, we get an option to speed school. 4 hours of hints and tips how not to get caught.
    Costs the same + the time, but no points and no need to tell the insurance co, who would apply the real penalty next year on by deducting your NCB. I'm on 70% so that really hurts.

Was this on a rented bike by any chance? That makes it so easy for them.
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    As a matter of fact, it was. A lovely F750GS out of Milano that impressed me more than I though it would. Sufficient power and relatively light - at least as compared to my Tiger Explorer 1200.

Crossing into Switzerland from Chiavenna the first day on my way to the Maloja Pass to shoot a bit of video, I thought that I saw a flash just as I crossed into Switzerland. I compared my speed to the sign and was, indeed going a bit fast. Graubunden said 75 in a 60. I saw 73, so it's probably accurate.

I no longer go fast just to do so, but inattention can get anyone. I was pretty paranoid for the rest of the ride.

And nothing else has appeared in the mail since, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Honda-50 and Boredsurfer like this.
  11. Boredsurfer

Oddometer:
    So in this instance, if you had an American plate, all speed cameras would have no way to collect - correct? But actual human cops can still write you a ticket but could they ever collect? This is actually a big deal for me because riding in Switzerland for instance I hear is tediously slow....
  12. Boredsurfer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dooby for the kind offer on the beer - and the E-MTB's!! Great ideas... I will be in touch when I figure out my plans. I am between buying a European bike or shipping my own. I will need to store a bike regardless. I will be in touch eventually. Thanks!!
    dooby likes this.
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Several European countries have stop and pay law enforcement. If you don't pay, you don't proceed. Nowadays they have a card reader, so simple.
    There are also graduated offences - give it too much welly and your vehicle can be confiscated, even destroyed.

Switzerland can afford more comprehensive law enforcement than most other places. Oh, and they like Ordnung muss Sein.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I can't verify that, but I can state that in 9 years of riding my US plated bikes I never got a ticket in the mail - and I know that I have triggered cameras on a couple of occasions - mostly from inattention and not noticing a speed limit change.

As to the roadside chats, as Nick noted, It's usually cash and carry - none of this "Sign here, press hard, 3 copies" stuff that you get here in the USofA. And with the cellular network, portable card readers are a thing. I've never had the honor, but I know people who have.
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Despite being an EU citizen, and careless enough to get flashed - a couple of times in France and again in Italy. Never heard anything (yet).
  16. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    And then, there are the Swiss. As you noted, Ordnung muss Sein.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  17. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not all flash are actual tickets.
  18. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy in Ireland.