Couple months in Mexico. Looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jamie Z, Sep 23, 2020.

1. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I myself haven't been in many cities during covid-19, Maz, PV, and Morelia would be it for large ones. Though I see no reason to not go to them, there have been some massive restrictions in the larger ones (Maz, PV, and Morelia were not all that strict strict when I was there, but restrictions are in place, majority of people are wearing masks). GDL for instance was closing down early, and this was supposed to be for most of Jalisco, yet the beach towns in Jalisco were all very relaxed a few weeks ago when I went through.

Once you get outside the cities, especially places it sounds like you would normally go, you may not even see masks on people. I am not sure the people of San Francisco Etucuaro have even heard of covid judging by what I saw. I only say this so you keep your itinerary loose, as you may need to shift gears and get away from the cities if they tighten restrictions....but I don't think you would mind at all to be honest.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  2. Chabochi

Chabochi Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you get to Copper Canyon you’ll want to see Batopilas, Creel, Cerocahui, Urique and Divisadero. Depending how remote you want to go you could do some of the back roads loops instead of going down and back the same way.

If you will be exiting Mexico after the Canyon you will have options to exit west from the canyon or head north to AZ, NM or TX
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    If you are going to spend some time in cities, where camping is probably not practical, consider staying at an AirBnB instead of a hotel. There are plenty of budget hotels, but that will force you to have 3 meals a day out (unless you OK with going back cold meals... :deal). Any AirBnB will have better cooking facilities than your camp stove and more room to spread out than a hotel.

Mexico City - We like to stay west of the "centro", in Col. Juarez or Cuahutemoc. It gives you easy walking access to the main CDMX attractions, has great restaurant options and if you don't feel like walking, an Uber can take you any where for a couple of bucks. Don't miss out on the Museo Nacional de Antropologia. You will need a full day (or two) to do it justice, but you will learn more about Mexico's history and indigenous people in that day than in the ~8 weeks you plan to spend in Mexico. Well, assuming it opens by the time you go there... Walk around the Zocalo, and if the Palacio de Gobierno is open, don't be afraid to walk in. It has some of the most spectacular murals by Diego Rivera. Same for Templo Mayor museum, don't miss visiting it, assuming it's open by then.

We have spent weeks in CDMX, and never get tired of exploring. There is a lot more to see, depends on how many days you want to spend there.

BTW, lane splitting is expected in all Mexican cities. But, keep in mind that technically it's only legal when traffic is stopped. You'll see Mexican riders split lanes when traffic is moving at highway speeds. Mexican usually don't mind, but you could get pulled over.

Gustavo
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yucatan - visit Bacalar, look up the must visit Cenotes, spend a night in Merida, ride out to Punta Allen, visit Holbox.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  6. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Sjoerd Bakker gave me tons of advice on this trip and improved my experience 1000 percent. I am eternally grateful. You can see a lot of the advice he gave me in my trip report. I was on my CBX500 and it was the perfect bike for the trip. I had Shinko 705 and they worked great. I wish I could go with you but I am currently tied down. Here is the link if you are getting bored and want to do more planning.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/eds-...is-time-the-yucatan-and-so-much-more.1350868/
    Cal and WileyRTW like this.
  7. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I used of few of these suggestions 2 weeks ago, fantastic report. :thumbup
    edstoll likes this.
  8. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ed. Just finished reading through your ride report. I copied down quite a few roads and sites from your report and added them to my list.
    edstoll likes this.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Speaking of my list, I need to stop adding stuff!

[​IMG]
    kantuckid, Cal and 9Realms like this.
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    ....and on that note, does anyone know of a way to convert a Google Maps saved list (the pins in the map above) to a GPX file?

For me, Google Maps is by far the easiest way to save a big list of places I want to go. Search the maps. Find a place. Click on the Save button. It even works offline. However on the road I don't like Google Maps, mainly because the offline maps are terrible. It would be great if I could somehow export all my Favorites into a GPX file which I can open in OsmAnd.

I have found a workaround... it's usually possible to copy and paste the coordinates of an individual pin, but for the whole list, that would take a very long time.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    D:-)n't st:-)p?
    Michoacan needs some stops? Also the Sea of Cortez below La Paz is a nice area with not much tourist saturation?
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    This worked well for me Jamie
    https://mapstogpx.com/
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know nothing about Mainland except for some stuff in Sonora that was included in the Sonora Rally. Baja has been my playground for almost 50 years.

Really hard to see exactly what you've dropped pins on. Up North, it looks like you've got 2 pins on top of each other? Rancho Melling and Rancho El Coyote? Or is that one of the Ranchos and the Observatory? Or is one of them Mike's Sky Rancho? If you did go up from San Telmo to Melling's or El Coyote, a trip the rest of the way up to the Observatory is worth while just for the views. While you can't drive all the way up, you can walk the last bit to the telescopes where there is a spot you can sit on a rock and look almost straight down to Laguna Diablo and San Felipe! About 20 feet away you can stand in one spot and see the Pacific, and turn 180 degrees and see the Sea of Cortez. Huge pine trees up there too!

I looks like maybe you've got Gonzaga Bay pinned. Many years ago before it was paved south of San Felipe, it took almost two days of really rough 4x4 to get there. Gonzaga was really cool and Alfonsinas was deluxe. Now that it takes a couple of hours at the most on the new pavement and Alfonsinas is an expensive dump with crappy food. Not worth the gas to drive over from the highway.

Looks like you've got Bahia Tortugas flagged. It's a long way out there with zero reward, did you have some specific recommendation for that? If your intent is whale watching I personally think Laguna Ojo de Liebre just south of Guerrero Negro is better. Whale watching out on Laguna San Ignacio out on the coast from San Ignacio is good too. Be sure to stop in San Iggy for an ice cream in the Plaza by the Mission.

You really need to stop and spend a day in Loreto, spending 1/2 day to go up to the Mission San Javier.

Same with going out to the coast out of Insurgentes. The coast there is behind a sandbar and you can't even see the Pacific from anywhere you can drive to! If you want to see that coast in that area, a real treat is to go up about an hour from Insurgentes to San Juancio/Scorpion Bay that has incredible beaches.

Please take my criticism of a couple of places with a grain of salt, especially if you have the time. After all when I had the time, I explored them myself!
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Here's a closer view.

[​IMG]
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    The two pins up north are the observatory and Parque Nacional Sierra de San Pedro Mártir. Now I have to check out Rancho Melling and Rancho El Coyote, too.

I couldn't find Gonzaga Bay... so I'm not sure which pin you are referring to.

Bahia Tortugas was listed in the Lonely Planet guide and the camping at the end of the spit gets good reviews on Google. That's why I added it. I'll make a note that it might not be worth the effort.

I've added Loreto and the Mission to my list, as well as San Juanico. Thanks!

I appreciate the ideas.

Jamie
  16. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couldn't tell from the scale on your map, perhaps that's Coco's?

Someone mentioned taking the road to the left at Coco's and go out towards Calamajue (pronounced Cal-a-moo-hey) and find camping there. I totally agree.

Here's the road out from Coco's:

DSCF1396.JPG

And my favorite place to camp a bit further towards Calamajue, the rocks protect from the wind:

DSCF1400.JPG DSCF1402.JPG

Camping out on Laguna Ojo de Libre, great palapas rented out by the whale watching operation. You can hear the whales blowing at the surface at night!

DSCF1437.JPG
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    That's a good site that I've used quite a few times, but it's for converting a Google Maps route to a GPX. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything with Saved Places.

I found a very tedious and not entirely ideal way to do this, but it works. Basically, Google allows you to download your saved points, but only if they are in the "Starred Places" category. So I had to move all my saved points (all 400 of them) from several different categories, one at a time, into Starred Places. Then you can download the points, but only in JSON format. A quick stop at https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and I had a GPX with all my saved points. For whatever reason, Google doesn't let you add notes to Starred Places, like it does in other categories, and I had a handful of points saved with notes to remind me what was at that point (for example, a recommended dish at a restaurant), so then I went back and added those notes manually into the GPX.

Took me about five hours, but what else am I going to do? Work shut down a couple weeks ago, for the second time.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    what ever happened to a note book and a pen?
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    19B0AFDF-F942-4FE6-86BA-F4365688C096.png From what I know, .gpx files allow the gps unit in creation of a route.
    So am not understanding I guess your desire for .gpx files for individual locations.

Also, my saved favorites in Google Maps do allow me to attach notes to each saved favorite. Above is a picture of my Google maps saved favorites. When I touch any icon it shows my note for that place (was usually a hostal or camp spot etc)
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I see the difference. I noted places as “favorites” which allows the note. Saving as starred places does not. Sorry, just trying to help DC17D856-3B57-4DCE-9465-49F6F6B25A88.png