Couple months in Mexico. Looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jamie Z, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it... but as you saw, Starred Places don't allow notes. But Starred Places is the only folder which you can export.

I don't get it... but I got it to work pretty much how I want now.
    Main reason is that if I load the POI into my GPS, I can see them on the map in front of me, real-time. Or I can look and see what's close to me at a glance. Tap on an icon, route me to that spot. Also paper gets wet, disorganized, illegible. I have collected over 400 POI so far. Very easy to organize digitally, and they'll never get lost.

Don't get me wrong. I'll have some paper maps with me, and even a notebook. But digital just works better for me for this application.
    Cal likes this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    so with 400 POI and you give each one a day you will be on the road for 400 days! lol
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you still have them all saved in Google Maps, one at a time tap on each location, and change from starred places to favorite. Add your note. Done. No need to export. And will still show up on offline maps.
    Good luck
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not? I'll probably be on the road for more than 400 days.

Actually a lot of my POIs are not day-long activities. Lots of things like restaurants, statues, murals, waterfalls, bridges... Cool things on the side of the road to stop for a break. There is some all-day stuff too. Also, I have no intention of visiting every place I have saved. I have no set itinerary or route. This gives me the flexibility to head in any direction I want and I've probably got some places I've researched and saved.

Gah! I did exactly the opposite yesterday, moving all my Favorites into Starred Places, one at a time. I don't plan to use Google Maps very much. It's ok in the cities, but so far in my research once I'm off the beaten path, Google's street data is not great, and the offline maps are terrible to manage and download. I'll still have it available, and all my points are saved in Starred Places, but I prefer to have my POI in OsmAnd. I only had notes written for a dozen or two of the POI, so it wasn't much of a big deal to go into the GPX file and add that information after I'd exported it from Google.
    Cal likes this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I used Google Maps offline successfully for over 30 months, including all of Mexico. Yeah, downloading them is a PITA, but finding decent wifi was fairly easy.
    I also used Maps.me, which shows more details for smaller secondary and dirt roads. Using in combination with iOverlander worked very well.
    My Zumo 595 was used mainly for backup, altitude info, and as a link to my phone’s Spotify app to allow touch screen music selection.
  6. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    That's basically what I plan to do. I use OsmAnd rather than map.me, but I think they're about equivalent. I also have Sygic which uses TomTom map data and is very simple to use offline. I'm a big fan of iOverlander, plus I have a few dozen potential campsites saved from reading ride reports and the like.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Remember that iOverlander connects to either Google Maps or Maps.me for directional data. It won’t connect automatically to OsmAnd.
    Also, date available in Google is far far more updated than anything else. But often a series of dirt roads won’t show at all on Google Maps but is there on Maps.me
    I used OSM maps on my Garmin Zumo GPS. They were better than the paid-for Google files.
    There were plenty of times in SA where none were accurate. But that means little if you’re staying in Mexico this time.
    And I stayed in a LOT of Airbnb places in Mexico. Often cheaper than Hostals. Never more.
    Have a good trip. Stay safe.
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Seems to work in OsmAnd for me...
    Screenshot_20201127-191835_Android System.jpg
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Huh. Just looked again. Mine only shows the two options I mentioned.
  10. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You really need to add San Borja to your list of places to visit. It’s an easy day trip from Bay of L.A.
    Young guy that gives tours is a wealth of knowledge.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Looks like your POI list does include my all-time favorite place, San Jose del Pacifico.
    If that’s true Jamie, PM me for contact info. I know some excellent people there quite well, and they’ll ensure an epic adventure.
    Animo likes this.
  12. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    gringoburger.jpg

Is this the pin you mean?

Um... that's Gringo Burger. :shog

I've actually seen it mentioned in a couple ride reports, and Google reviews sound ok... so I added it. Plus that's an amazing road!

Will do... anything in particular I should look out for?

One of the reasons I like to make a good list before I head out is that I oftentimes come into a city or town or some cool looking place. But I don't have any idea what to do or where to go. So I'll ride around a little bit. Sometimes something interesting will catch my eye, sometimes not. But if I come into someplace, and I know, for example, that there's a museum there I'd be interested in seeing, it gives me someplace to stop. Frequently, that will turn into other things I should see or do in the area.
  13. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    All that's there is the mission. Take the tour - really worth it and I'm not one who is usually into that kind of thing. Make sure you ask to go up the staircase to the roof. Great stone work and the family that lives there is the last of their line. It's a great history lesson. I was last there a few years ago and there were some spots with ramadas where you could camp. If you want to avoid cities, this ride will do it.
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Thanks, added it.

Ah... now I found it. Thanks, added.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    find a place to stay right on the water that has a dock, plus kayaks or sups to use.
  16. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last time I was at San Borja I was told there are some cave paintings up the valley a ways and that a tour could be arranged. Apparently accessed by moto.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the lady that takes car of the Mission gives an incredible history of her indigenous background and how the the local people were hard hit by and epidemic in the early 1800's and then later the Spanish Flu in the early 1900's wiped out the the rest of the population. She will also give you a tour of how she lives back in that box canyon and her irrigation system from the spring. She's a real sweet hart. Here is a pic of her as we went up to the roof:

DSC_0207.JPG

Here is the view of Mission San Jose de Borja as you come in:

DSC_0197.JPG

Her nephew shoeing one of his horses:

DSC_0206.JPG
    Cal likes this.
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gringo Burger aside I like the coast nearby at Puerto Angel and P Escondido too. I might forego the Gringo burger for longer in Oaxaca city. Can't say as I've had a great burger in MX?

My MC days in Mexico the slip of paper nestled in my tankbag window stays mostly legible and typically has ~ 5-6 or so turns and hwy #'s and maybe a POI too. I'm mostly a keep it simple stupid traveler and admittedly avoid techy stuff when I can. I sold my Zumo with my last MC and now have my phone mtd on my Vespa which would like to see some Mexico but sadly, not right now. I'm staying in the woods these days. :lol2 Todays rain/snow so more web and less woods...
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie ,don't over-research , over- note, over -compute all these places and nitty gritty stuff like particular restaurants . If all those things are read -up on beforehand where is the surprise, the spontaneity and fun of discovery ? "If this is Tuesday this must be Papanoa " It could be as bad as an office job with schedules and deadlines to keep . You can read all the history in books or on internet in your spare time ,without leaving home .
    Get out the PAPER big picture map and pick out any road that is handy GO and be ready to explore . Okay , Maybe put a dot on some specific place you do know about and want to see but you ought to consider that every place is possibly worth a gander . Don't create your trail of bread crumbs and then wind up speeding from point to point ignoring much what is in between .

Okay add a dot on the map at TEPEYAHUALCO , Hidalgo , nose around an see what a fantastic bit of architecture you discover there outside the village .
    Add a dot at Hierve el Agua OAX and spend an afternoon there then north on Mex 179 and consider the entire road as one long dot ,Sierra Mixe.
    Place a dot on JAUMAVE, Tamps. , January is an ideal month to go into that town and look up into the tops of the tall pecan trees and be surprised by what you see up there eating the nuts.
    Mark Cintalapa de las Cruces , CHIS for a downtown hotel stay and then see the thousands of migrants flying in for the night ,again a winter phenomenon .
    Follow Mex 217 between Mex 186 and Mex180 and visit Jonuta and Palizada ,TAB,follow the banks of the Rio Usumacinta where villages and old ranches were formerly only accessible by river craft, travel through the delta and the Pantanos de Centla .
    Ride around for a day,explore ,stop often , in the spider's web of paved ,flat ,narrow municipal roads in the delta surrounding Comalcalco TAB in the delta of the Rio Grijalva and discover the ancestral home of the cacao bean and the building material unique for the Mayan world in the ZA of Comalcalco .
    Travel the state road between Revolucion Mexicana and Frontera Comalapa CHIS ,...because you can

The highway and state and municipal roads get you to lots of surprises without any planning
    I

Attached Files:

kantuckid likes this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    SB, what's out there in the gulf? Is it a barrier island as you mention the migratory birds above?
    Looking out my window-I could damned sure use some Mexico? :lol2
    Cal likes this.