couple questions about trip to baja

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TheLostBoy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. TheLostBoy

TheLostBoy gone riding...

Oddometer:
    do i need to carry pesos or will american $$ get me by?

can i just show up to mike's sky ranch and stay there a few days or do i need to call or write ahead of time?

thanks in advance.
  2. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    You won't loose as much money if you carry pesos. Not sure about Mike's.

Best place for this would be in Regionals>Outter Darkness forum.
  3. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i've heard that mike's often fills up, especially on weekends. you'd be better off making a reservation ahead of time if you don't want to end up stuck camping in the parking lot. they're a ways out on a dirt road and a long ride from the nearest other lodging option.

don't bring anything larger than a $20 bill in us currency as nobody will take it. better still to bring loads of $1 and $5 bills so you can pay with exact change most of the time.

also, put a few $20 bills in the bottom of your boot for security in case your wallet gets lost or stolen. you can exchange $100 for pesos at the border when you get insurance and save that for the few places that won't take dollars.

happy travels!
  4. greenfreak

greenfreak user

Oddometer:
    I suggest you put all the cash for your trip into your bank account and take money out of atms when you need it. The money you get out of atms will be in pesos and you'll get the best exchange rate that way. Atms are nearly everywhere and you can withdraw it often so that you don't have to carry all your money with you all the time. Also hide some american cash on your person for emergency use. Lastly have fun...
  5. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    thanks everyone! anybody have a number for mike's? can't find anything on the net.
  6. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    try this:
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

found here
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Not in Baja...
  8. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    thanks guys.. will carry cash, not going to rely on atm's being everywhere in baja; will certainly keep in hidden and in various location on person and bike.
  9. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    +1 and you don't get whacked with the vig.

I usually carry quite a bit in pesos, though, in case of emergency. Also PLEASE don't forget to get insurance. If you get in an accident without it, you WILL go to jail regardless of who is at fault. Make a photocopy of your identification and keep it somewhere separate from your wallet. Also, remember NO GUNS OR AMMUNITION!
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    ATM are prety much in every city, little towns = 1 or 2 banks and yes there will be an ATM but if you go to a McD you will not find an ATM, and if you enter a town were population = 500 not expect much (maybe some gas station, not a Pemex one)

Also pay attention to what Pelon said. The best idea is to carry a mix of ATM, Cash in both curencies US dolars and Mexican pesos, when you go home either at Ensenada or Tijuana on the mexican side, or at San Ysidro in CA or you can change your left over mexican money back to US Dolars

And last, GUNS=5 or more years in jail, and don't bother saying I AM AN AMERICAN, that will not work in Mexico, a lot better to leave it home

Damasovi
  11. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Mulege - one example - finally got a bank within the last year or so (I lose track of time). Before that people had to go to Santa Rosalia, where there's one ATM, or down to Loreto.
    Let's imagine for a second that the one ATM in a town doesn't work, for whatever reason. Now you got no cash, and you have to travel somewhere else...and hope that other ATM works.

If you're depending on ATM machines in Baja and let your cash run low, you are playing with 'inconveniences' to your trip. got that shirt...

Along those same lines: Fill your bike with gas at the end of the day. There can be power outages that last more than a day. I have that t-shirt too, but did have a tank of fuel.

A n t c i p a t e...and plan.

If things easly bother you, speak loudly into your stinky, smelly helmet.
  12. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    What LR is saying is so correct, I live in Baja North the one by the US border and things are easier, unlike in the south. The farther you go south the less US like it becomes.

Damasovi
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Make use of the ATMs, just don't let yourself run so dry that it can mess up your trip if one (or two) don't cough up.
    A small wad (not between your cheek and gum) keeps you enjoying what adventures/mistakes are there.

Enjoy her, that pretty and semi-remote orphan child, as soon as you can because things are quickly changing. She no longer turns into a pumpkin...:cry
  14. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    No ATM at Mikes. IIRC $40 per person per night (includes dinner) and cash at the bar. Everything there is priced in dollars but they'll take your cash from either country. :D

I always plan on having enough cash for 4 to 5 days. Usually sure to hit an ATM in that time period to replenish. Also, if you are unlucky enough to get into an accident, having enough cash on hand to broker a settlement (doesn't matter who's at fault) right there can get everybody on their way before the police show up.

Ride safe and have fun.
  15. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Never pass up on fuel, unless your 100% certain you can gas up further down the road, but I'd still fill up ALOT!

Nobody will turn down american dollars, but its best to pay in pesos. Exchange money at hte border at the Cambias and get enough to last you a while, use a few american $$ here and there if you need to stretch it out.

If your not good with Spanish, freshen up on the basics. The hardest time I had was dealing with money. two hundred twenty six pesos is quite a bit more advanced than knowing just how to count to ten.

Mikes Sky Rancho..that mostly depends on if there are tours running through there. When we were there, we had the place to ourselves , but a couple days later it would have been packed.
  16. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look for casa de cambio near border, exchange all that you think you will need, I heard of people getting their accounts ripped off at ATM's. Best place to exchange is Costco in Chula Vista, about 10 miles from border, they don't charge you any commision.
  17. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    As they all say,,,you will save by using peso's and the banking charges will add up if you use ATM's often. The BS about best exchange rate is not always true and the fee's keep getting higher and higher.
  18. McMaster

McMaster Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer:
    Great advice get a fake wallet make copies of your divers liscense in color looks like the real thing under plastic keep a little cash mostly pesos here and change to make it heavey seems more like they scored something good when they ask for your wallet also start saving all those credit card offers they supply you with those plastic fake credit cards help add to the realismm of your fake wallet....Old 70's style velcro wallets are perfect diversion for that filthy bastard trying to ruin your vacation...then when you hand them your wallet cave their head in with a swing of your helmet and take their balls for a sovenier
  19. The Big J

The Big J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a thread on recomendations for Baja I am saddened no one has recomended the shrimp tacos. This may have nothing to do with your query but it is one thing you won´t go wrong with.
  20. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    That's good news Mulege got an ATM (that was always such a pain).

I was there for a full on pennisula wide total absence of gas once. We went to gringos in RVs. typically they had a couple of gallons but not enough to go anywhere. They were always willing to let us siphon a bit out since they weren't going anywhere anyway. We trick or treated that way all the way to California. (oh yeah- bring a siphon:D if it's just a hose make sure it is clear- so you can see the gas before you taste it ):puke1