couple questions about trip to baja

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TheLostBoy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Spare tires and parts that never break. The spare parts make great balast in case you need to get rid of anything. Spare tires are to guarantee that you don't get a flat or wear your tires out.

Take lots of power bars and power jell and powdered gatorade. You won't eat any of it but you can give it away and people will think it's cool.

Take cypro and zythro- a week of each. Also amoxycillian. If you're gone for 5 weeks, that's 5x7... 35 days. Ok, take each for 10 days. Take a day off between each or you might get a yeast infection. IN CASE you get a yeast infection, DON'T EAT YOUR ATHLETE'S FOOT CREAM. No matter how hungry you get. Eat yogurt to keep the yeast away. Eat lowfat yogurt because fat is bad for you. There are some anti-yeast drugs out there. I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you which ones to take. IF you take the cypro and other anti-biotics, you'll be able to ignore the DON'T DRINK THE WATER advice.

Take bug spray and put it on your feet before you go to sleep. They have vampire bats in mexico but 100% DEET will keep them off your toes. If you wake up with little red marks around your toes, you might have tomaine poisoning. The cypro won't work. You'll need an anti-rabies prophilactic. You might want to just get a series of rabies vaccines before you go.

Take something good to read and something to write in/on. You can sit somewhere and act cool, like if you're writing a book about riding motorcycles. You'll lose your pen so make sure you find a cool one to steal. Crooks usually carry pens so when you knock one out with your helmet, check the pockets for pens.

Use your fake credit cards when you check into a hotel (they'll be in your throw-away velcro wallet). When they don't work, say, "I'M AN AMERICAN AND YOU'RE JUST DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ME." Say it loudly in a german/arab/japanese accent, or learn how to say this in spanish. When they call the 800 number on the back of the fake credit card, make something up about how they can have a $25,000 loan with no money down and no payments until 2009.

I don't know what kind of plates you have but if they're just temp's, you'll be fine. Just explain as slowly as possible that the bike is not stolen.

You should probably make sure your bike is really clean, with all the chrome polished and the plastic all shiny. You might want to have your bike re-painted with flames or skulls or something 3-d. While you're washing it, take the muffler off or put straight pipes on.

That's all I've got for now. Oh- if you're planning on carrying a machete, buy one for $3.50 and lash it to your bedroll. If you really, really need to carry a gun, get a just-like-real water pistol. With really big batteries so that it feels heavy, real... that way if you get held up at 4 AM by some crooked cops, you can shoot them in the face with red kool-aid. Make the kool-aid really thick (make sure the batteries are strong or the pump will jam) and tell the cop "Bang. See- you're bleeding!"

Let us know how much fun we're not having, once you're there.
  2. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    be sure to get insurance with "Get out of jail free" coverage.
  3. TheLostBoy

TheLostBoy gone riding...

Oddometer:
    nice :rolleyes

that will certainly improve my feelings on all the shitty advice that gets handed out on this forum on a regular basis.
  4. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    ?
  5. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    i'm asking serious questions and idiots are joking about it and handing out advise based on shit they've heard and not really experienced.. that is only an assumption but i think i'm pretty spot on by the real advice i've gotten from more educated individuals in regards to traveling alone in baja, especially to the areas i was planning to go.
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Seriously- if you shop for insurance and if you read the policies, you'll find "get out of jail" coverage. It's a good idea to pile the coverages so that they overlap. For example, americanexpress offers bail-bond for travellers. Also, travel insurance- separate from your motorcycle policy- helps you get out of jail. Finally, your motorcycle insurance (that you have to buy special for Mexico) will offer bond, but make sure before you go. Once you have all your insurance, be prepared to call the American Consulate.

Here's another look at a very good website that I'm in no way connected to but from which I've been getting coverage for several years: www.travelguard.com

Mexico is different from the US- here, you're presumed innocent until proven guilty, but in Mexico you're guilty until you can prove that you're innocent. If you're in an accident, you and everyone else goes straight to jail. The advice I got from Mexicans was that if I was in any kind of accident that I could flee from- FLEE!

I've ridden in Mexico but not Baja but what I'm talking about is good for all of Mexico.

As for the quality of my advice to you- I'm sorry, but you're asking some really dumb questions, which means that you're asking for really dumb advice. Maybe if I'm frustrating you too much you should take that battery-powered squirt gun and shoot yourself in the head with kool-aid. Otherwise if you're in the Madison area anytime I'll buy you a beer.

My very real opinion about Mexico is that it's no more dangerous than riding anywhere else, including Madison, WI.

I don't think you realize that most of us consider "idiot" the ultimate compliment.
  7. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    what dumb question did i ask you? please point it out to me, as i'm a little slow i guess.. :cry and if you think mexico is no more dangerous than places in the us then you're a tool.. and this thread is about baja, not mexico.. you've given 0 advice here.. because you know nothing about what i'm asking as you've stated you've never even been to baja.. so you've just spouted off random bs that really doesn't do me or anyone else any good.. except for it's entertainment value, you're basically just talking shit... these are serious questions, and you've provided dipshit useless answers.. thanks douche.
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Baja is in Mexico.

You posted a link to an article about some surfers who got roughed up and you asked if you should be scared. That was a dumb question.

A couple of years ago I was in Sarajevo. Just down the street from my hotel a Bosnian was assasinated by another Bosnian. The body was in a cafe, one of those really cool outdoor cafes. I asked a local guy what he thought. "It's just like Newark," he said in perfect English. Then he asked me if I wanted to buy an AK-47. "This is just like going to walmart," I said.

I've ridden in Mexico and the only time I was worried was when homicidal truckers didn't respect my space on the highway.

Personal rules for international travel are pretty much the same no matter where you go.

Did you read what Gustavo said to you about Mexico?
  9. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:

I'll offer advice here, if folks here can't offer sound advice and only want to bicker than head of to Jo Momma.

First of all, I feel safer in Mexico than many large cities in the US. BTW: Baja is Mexico.
  10. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:

WOW...a forum member seeks advice from other riders and gets this kind of insult?

I've got some catching up to do in this thread.
  11. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    uh yeah, i know it is.. but baja is different than other parts of mexico, as i've been told by some very educated folks informing me that most of the advice i'm hearing hear is mostly just BS. baja is not mexico, it's in mexico but it's not the same...
  12. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
  13. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    i know baja is in mexico you moron.... just like alaska and south central LA are both in the USA, but very different places.... and how is a question about my own personal safety a dumb question? you really are a tool.. i was all set to just bust down into baja carefree based on a lot of advice from members here and i've since talked to some educated inviduals that actually know baja; they've informed, or rather educated me that the comments and advice i've received here was mostly bullshit, so just keep spouting off, you've already admitted you know nothing about baja, so why are you still talking?
  14. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:

Beautiful! You are an ass.
  15. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:

This forum is a very useful tool for riders traveling much further than Baja, on a very regular basis.

Best of luck on your journey.

Call me if you get stuck in a jam 805-388-1057.

Shit, I might even join you......PM sent.

Neal
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Hey Aussie Gringo-

Sorry about the tone of this thread. I'll try to explain a little.

Two guys were planning a trip to Baja. Cool, I thought. Then one of them posted a link about some surfers who got roughed up. It went from being cool to being... not the kind of questions that I'd expect from anyone who was actually serious about riding anywhere- I mean, serious about riding. (Just to note, I'm not serious about riding- riding is something I do for fun.) A few guys chimed in with some really good advice- on several threads, not just this one. Good advice- some of it conflicting, but that's the nature of advice. The two guys who were going to go started to get ...wierd. One of them wanted advice for how-to-take-off-BMW-emblems. Not because they were afraid the emblems would be stolen, but because they were afraid their bikes would be bigger targets if they said "BMW." Around then, the advice given stopped being real. I kind of summarized a lot of the advice, with my tongue firmly in my cheek. Mainly because these two guys needed to lighten up.

They kind of remind me of some Harley riders I heard about in Alaska this summer. I was on my way to Alaska, riding through Montana, and a truck driver told me a story about a group of policemen who tried to ride their harley's from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay to Key West. The story about this group had made it all the way to Montana before the riders themselves. One of the things the trucker was laughing about was an anecdote about how these guys had their bikes shipped to Fairbanks, and when they were picking them up from the dealer, a rumor was that one of them had been dropped. So they all went around inspecting their plastic to see if there were any dings or scratches... inspecting the chrome... and a day later they were melting-down on the Haul Road. My hat's off to them for finishing the ride, and for adjusting their attitude once they realized that the bikes were going to get wrecked. (Those guys are either tougher or dumber than I am. I did NOT ride all the way to Deadhorse. I turned around at Wiseman. I didn't wreck my bike though.)

Here's a link to the Harley guys: http://newsminer.com/2007/06/22/7604

So here we are with two guys who clearly have no idea what they're getting themselves into. I've already told them to GO. Now they're calling some of us (including me) names. Whatever. If they go, I'm sure they'll have a different attitude if they make it back.
  17. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    once again.. you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

i JUST met the other guy you're referring to and have never ridden with him. so as for why you're acting like a tool in my threads based off of information you've gathered from his posts, i say that pretty much makes you ignorant.. especially if you're calling me out and saying i act like i ride.. i could mostly ride circles around your ass..

you're the classic shit talker, sitting on his ass, spouting shit about things you have no clue about.. this thread is about baja, have you ever been? no! so once again, stfu. take a hint, geez...
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I would like to respectfully ask that this thread be moved back to Jo Momma.

btw, I'm going to ride Baja in Feb, take the ferry across the bay, then ride south for as far as I can.
  19. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
  20. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:

No need for JM here.....You'll get nothing but noise in the basement.