couple questions about trip to baja

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TheLostBoy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. TheLostBoy

TheLostBoy gone riding...

Oddometer:
    i'd respectfully ask that you just leave this thread alone since you have no real advice to offer.. seems you have plenty of bullshit to offer, but you've NEVER been to baja, so i really could care less what you have to say. but you still just can shut the fuck up. i can't answer for the other member comments you're referring to but i've asked no stupid questions here.. as for you associating me with another member's so-called stupid questions, and then bashing me for them.. well thats just you being stupid once again and talking about shit you know little or nothing about.. seems like a pattern.
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I think you and Gato Gato might be the same people.
  3. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:

Unbelieveable comment......Much like San Diego is in California but it's not the same.
  4. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    and yet another stupid comment.. they just keep coming. i don't ride a bmw.
  5. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    This is the most fucked up thread I've seen since I joined ADVrider.

:D
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    got it. You and Gato Gato aren't the same.

PM sent. Please accept my apologies and have a fun and safe trip.
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    """"it’s a 6,788-mile trip, and they hope the next 6,299 miles are a little easier than the first 489 were."""

image versus reality.....some dreams are squashed by reality...but the drama still gets told

6788 miles...to the point....don't effit up...LOL.....

get gone

you won't know, if you don't go
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Hi Freeflow

It looks like you got it. At least somebody gets it.

Sorry if this isn't about Baja. But I think it's relevant. As I was coming out of Coldfoot, or maybe it was Yukon, there were these two guys who'd just gotten back from Deadhorse. They asked if I wanted to ride with them the rest of the way to Fairbanks. I told them I was going pretty slow, so we didn't ride together. A little while later, one of them had flatted and wrecked his wheel. I helped them for an hour or so, and finally they had to leave one bike in the woods.

Later, I was stopped by a guy in a brand new Suburban. He wanted to know how far it was to the arctic circle, and could he drive there? I asked him a few questions: how many spare tires do you have? How much food and water do you have? Do you have bear spray or a gun? Two, plenty for a week, a shotgun, he said. He was ready for anything. And he had his wife and two daughters with him. Good for him. I'm sure they were fine.

I think the lost boy will be fine, too. Maybe he's a little nervous but he'll be fine.

But Gato Gato? I'm not so sure... good luck to them both, together or separately. Also good luck to Aussie Gringo. If you guys go, take pictures and let us know what we missed.
  9. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    my point is, living in the usa my entire life would noy neccesarily mean i can offer advice to somone about visiting alaska.
  10. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:

Different culture, language, value system, monetary system.

No offense by my previous post. Have fun, Be Safe, Post a Ride report, call if you need assistance.

Neal
  11. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Now I'm going out of my way to be nice. I've apologized and stuff but it feels like you're still pushing.

If you were talking to someone from Canada or Mexico, and they asked you if they needed US money, would you say NO? (I think it's terrible when americans expect locals to accept american dollars. Not everyone want US currency. Especially lately, since the US dollar has been shrinking.)

Would you tell a foreign visitor that in Alaska, although you've never been, there might be some remote areas where ATMs aren't available, or are expensive?

You would be able to briefly explain what you know about US law, the importance of insurance, the availability of health care.

You asked some broad/general questions (Should I be scared?) and some specific questions (Do I need pesos?). Most of the outer darkness riders try to be helpful and they try to add things they know about because information can be relevant, even if it's not specific. Are you new to outer darkness?

The first thing anyone needs to do, before they travel, is look at a map. And if you can't find a good one, just ask.
  12. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    honestly, i would not offer any advice on alaska as i know nothing about it.. :ear and even the question about carrying pesos, i got nothing from that thread because other members were arguing about who was correct... did you see how many different opinions there were on that? some members said atm's are everywhere, don't bother.. others chime in and say, not in baja.. carry cash everywhere... so why would my questions be considered stupid if there are so many opinions on it? guess i don't understand what you're angle you're going after with that one...

and i'm not pushing, nor did i feel i ever was.. i'm peaved a bit becuase some of you think it's funny to rip on other members about stuff they're obviously unaware of because they're inquiring about it here. it's easy for you to sit behind a computer and spout off and make fun of someone elses ignorance on a subject.. not a good way to make someone feel comfortable about asking questions; just hope the shoe is never on the other foot cuz it's not a good feeling to feel like you're being misled with poor advice. i'd think you'd encourage questions, even ones you think are stupid because with your experience certain things might be common knowledge.. but to others might be foreign...
  13. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Slow down and take a deep breath. Having read this whole thread, I think it is you jumping to conclusions as to what the deal is with the people giving you advice. People that haven't been aren't chiming in here. Some, like Lone Rider have extensive experience in both Baja and mainland Mexico. Don't be so quick to mouth off. You will get along far better listening more and posting less. You really need to ride there. It will do you a world of good.
  14. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    well, bananaman has NEVER been and he was offereing up the most advice.

i listen plenty well. and sorry, but this all started because one member started passing judgement with limited or no knowledge on what he was talking about.. including but not limited to, my experience on a bike.
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    You know what, dude? I f-ing apologized. I got you confused with your riding buddie. It was easy to do. I sent you a pm to apologize- and you're still an asshole. You know what? F-off. For real- not the adv salute-type of f-off. You're an ass.

All I did was tell you about my experience in Mexico. I never said I'd been to Baja, but you're such a moron that you didn't even know that Baja is part of Mexico.

I have never, ever claimed to have any riding prowess. I've never won anything or done anything special. So if you want to ride circles around me, maybe you and Gato Gato could do a circle jerk, Jerk.

I can't wait for you to get off YOUR computer AND ACTUALLY GO. I've been to Mexico, solo, and I had an absolute blast. Once you go, maybe you'll relax. Until you get back, I'm done with you. There are actual riders out there right now- people in Central America, South America, and the rest of the world. They're reporting back on misc. difficulties, the occasional crash, and TONS OF FUN. I'm going to read their reports and continue to live vicariously through them until I can shove off on my next ride. And when I can't dream about riding, guess what? I HAVE OTHER HOBBIES. So if you're demeaning name-calling gets to me, and scares me as badly as an internet-news storie about surfers scrared you (note to THE LOST BOY: I'M BEING SARCASTIC!)... what I mean is, I can walk away from riding and my life is still full. You, on the other hand, need to get laid or get drunk or get sober, or YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY GO.

Maybe you should just stop asking stupid questions and go figure some things out for yourself. Good luck getting through the border, getting your visas, getting your insurance, getting to your ATMs, finding your way out, and finding you way back.

Adios, enemigo.
  16. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can understand why TheLostBoy (Dan) is so mad about people giving uninformed advice on here. Some of the people giving advice drove in a car through Mexico or they flew in and stayed at resorts. Riding backroad trails accross the entire length of Baja is a completely different story according to the experienced Baja riders that Dan and I have talked to.Giving misinformed advice that could get a rider killed if he follows it is no joke. That is why Dan is so mad.
  17. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I'm having a hard time understanding how someone's advice on the internet will get me killed. I still have a brain and use it when traveling. I make decisions based on my experience more than other's advice. I believe you and Dan do, also. Take responsibility for your own actions. Don't take one source of information as the only word on the subject. Think for yourself. If something looks like it could get you in trouble, it probably will.

Most of all, don't sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff.
  18. TheLostBoy

Oddometer:
    lighten up francis, i never said baja was not a part of mexico you towl. i said just because you'e been to mexico does not mean you should offer up advice on baja.. :rolleyes

nice attitudes everyone, really.. big thumbs up!
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I like that. :D
    Damn, we can sure make life so complicated.

Sold, bought, shared, lost, given...etc.

If you aren't packing dreams, you're living with a great disadvantage....
  20. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    When the 1st moto rider explored Baja, his bike leaked oil big-time. He boiled off wax from certain plants to keep his ride going.
    He fished from the sea and snared rabbits along his route.
    He was on a mission.
    He was driven.
    There was no such thing as credit cards at that time....and cell coverage pretty muched sucked.
    Wrestling a whale ashore and stuffing its fat into the bike's motor kept him going at the 1/2 mark.
    Pit crews weren't reliable back then.
    The wind-from-hell that blew him into a large catus cured his ailing back problems. LDA: Church of Latter Day Acupuncture

To help make a long story short: After finally reaching La Paz, Theopolis sold his bike to a Greek captain sailing a freighter going to the South Seas, and beyond.

What expectations do you have when you travel?