couple TMAT questions

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by rsvern, Sep 14, 2019.

1. rsvern

rsvern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are new to the ADV world (having been die hard sport bike riders until I hit 50!). We are the type to just jump in and figure things out so we bought a couple used GS's this year and stumbled on the TMAT and decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago. We did make International Falls but only TMAT'd two days (it was raining the other days) and we did chicken out on one part. All in all, I'm pleased since neither of us have any off-road experience. Got to answer the question of whether or not we can pick up loaded GS's!

We tried to ride the first section out of International Falls (Blue Ox Trail) as it was one day not raining! We got stopped by more water than we wanted to try, then backtracked to an off-shoot trail, tried that for a while, hit more water than we wanted to attempt, backtracked to pavement.

After getting home I did a little more google research (probably should have done it first but where's the fun in that). Now I'm curious about a couple things:

1. Is the Blue Ox trail from IF to Big Falls ever not a lake 1/2 way in. I've heard it's been wet up there lately. Just curious if we try again when it's drier if we'd have better luck.

2. The DNR map I found lists that as ATV only. Not OHM. So I guess we were breaking the rules. Now I'm curious who designates the trails as ATV or OHM or both? I'm curious also why a trail would be one or there other but not both (is it a factor of who pays to "maintain" it. Safety issues? IMG_20190906_115707.jpg IMG_20190906_115713.jpg IMG_20190906_122754.jpg IMG_20190906_122802.jpg

Edit: attempt to remove duplicated pictures. Crossing fingers.
  2. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    In MN, off road trails are closed to motorcycles, unless posted open. The DNR does not feel that ATVs and motorcycles are a good mix off road. Sigh.
  3. rsvern

rsvern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a bit odd to me now that I've been looking up other OHM trails in MN that some are ATV only, some ATV & OHM, and some just OHM (probably those are single track). The ATV only portion of Blue Ox is about as straight as it gets being an old railroad bed so visibility is much better than some that allow both. It doesn't seem to relate to width or terrain exactly. I guess it's the government, no more logic need be applied.