Covered Bridges (Alabama) Gpx file

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by alpiv, Nov 5, 2007.

1. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    As I was researching possible routes through Alabama, I came cross this and put together a gpx file of all of the locations.
  2. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Great post, did you research the names of any of them?
  3. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    No, yet I'm including some of them in a route I'm putting together with Alabama's County Maps and MapSource.

I have a feeling that Alabama is like a diamond in the rough.
    Yet only time will tell.
  4. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    Ya know what's funny. I did a three day tour back in '90 on my TransAlp and visited each and every one of these bridges....without a GPS...
  5. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Why are you hanging out in the GPS section then?
  6. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    You'll find that one of the bridges was burned down about 8 years ago by some pyro kid. It was a cool long double span... Plus another 3 are on private land and not open to the general public, but are part of the amenities of a club or dude ranch...but there are just a handful that you can drive across, which is cool... Also, the county maps identify roads, but not all are open or are designated as public thuroughfares. My experience has been that about 30% are on private land and gated with no tresspassing signs from hunt clubs...so the county maps are not that reliable for Alabama from my experience...

There's some information that you need to have the wheels on the ground for, and not on the computer...it's like the Delorme gazetteer. they show all roads and trails public and private...accessible and unaccessible...

Just some info here bro's, that's all... don't get defensive, Pyth...

Alp, give me a shout, I'll tell you more about the bridges if you're interested...
  7. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    I Can't agree more...That's what makes it so much fun!
    I define an adventure as everything in between the begining and the end point!

Thanks Swampy:
    Will do as I finalize the route.

Trying to talk the wife into draging the kids along and droping me off in Northern Alabama and letting me meet them in Mobile a couple days later.
    Still working the idea of a short family get away, were dad gets away too.
    Hard sale!